Gransnet forums

House and home

Hot water dispensers

(55 Posts)
H1954 Thu 29-Jul-21 06:20:01

Yesterday, our kettle stopped working, so we looked online line at the shop that sells electrical appliances and computers and listed amongst the usual array of kettles was a couple of hot water dispensers. Have any GNetters had any experience of hot water dispensers, would you recommend or advise to avoid? We have a spare kettle so therefore not in a hurry to buy anything straight away.

Rumpunch Sat 31-Jul-21 11:55:51

We have a Quooker and love it. Clears the worktop and makes it quick and easy for whatever you are doing. The one we have dispenses at almost boiling but not all do.
However, my Mum of 84 is unable to use it as you have to press the tap down as you turn it on and she doesn't have the strength in her wrists to press it down. Its a safety feature to stop children turning it on and burning themselves but also stops my independent Mum from making her tea which she would spill on her way to sit down. Result - I have to make it for her.

Gabrielle56 Sat 31-Jul-21 12:09:13

Hi there, we've used one of the "brew kettle" type dispenser for years they're great! Only cost about £40 I think and just plugs in like a kettle, no plumbing etc.fisoenses exactly as much as you choose.use it also for cooking when I need to dissolve stuff and for instant sauces/custard etc. My very good friend the kitchen fitter would not recommend a permanent tap as they are generally not fit for purpose unless you spend £100s on Quooker brand .I'd say if you want to save energy water and always have fresh boiling water on a budget, then these brew kettle types are the best option. Water boiler more than once has all the oxygen boild out of it so tea/drinks are not best quality either

bpirockin Sat 31-Jul-21 12:13:03

I am on my second Tefal one, which sits on a tray in case I get distracted and my cup overflows. I use a large mug and two 'shots' would fill it, but as I also add milk I need to stop it part way through the second 'shot'.

Mum bought herself a Breville one, which works differently. Whilst they are both very basic models, the Breville one is slow, and I was unable to stop it part way through. While it looks smarter than the Tefal, it went straight back in the box and Mum bought a small kettle as we were unable to find any of the Tefals at the time.

I love the idea of a Quooker, but wonder how much additional space they use. Definitely something I'll look into when I next move.

The whole thing is somewhat more complicated for me as I've only one working arm, so holding a jug and turning a tap on or off at the same time is impossible. I find the waste of water most frustrating.

jocork Sat 31-Jul-21 12:13:09

pinkjj27

May I be boring and ask how sustainable are water dispensers? I know nothing about them, but this post has sparked my interest. Do they use less energy than a kettle does any one know ?

Not boring, it is important to think about energy use. I noted that one poster above mentions using a smaller kettle as a large one is heavy but I think my kettle is only really heavy when full and I rarely fill it full. It amazes me how many people fill their kettle, then only use half the boiled water! That means a huge amount of wasted electricity. My ex used to do that all the time. Reducing the amount in your kettle to what you are going to use will save electricity costs and possibly help save the planet, with the added bonus of it being lighter to lift and quicker to boil! I'm extremely concerned about climate change so am very aware of all the small ways we can reduce our carbon footprints.

Jillybird Sat 31-Jul-21 12:15:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Autumnrose Sat 31-Jul-21 12:21:38

I too have a Quooker tap - absolutely brilliant! This together with the waste disposal unit (no more awful caddies on the worktop and food waste bins that foxes get into) are the best parts of my newish kitchen and I wouldn’t be without them.

Gabrielle56 Sat 31-Jul-21 12:29:24

I occasionally use a super sleek black plasticated(!) Electric kettle from...... Morrisons £15 looks like a designer jobby too and sits well in the cupboard until required then looks the bizz in my super high tech kitchen! It's very fast and honestly all kettles use same technology if not the same inner workings to them , expensive usually means high price not high functioning/quality. Oh and advertising....snob value....whatever the chattering classes deem "the best"!

Auntieflo Sat 31-Jul-21 12:42:32

Our SIL has brought us an Addis 5 litre Thermo Pot.
DH had trouble lifting a kettle, and this is brilliant. We re-fill as necessary, and it comes up to temperature quickly, and stays hot all the time. It uses the same power, so it says, as the same as a light bulb left on.
We leave it on all the time, and so, if the sun is shining, only our solar power is being used.
So, in the morning, no waiting for a kettle to boil.

Rufus2 Sat 31-Jul-21 12:48:53

I've just bought a 3L no-name model through e-Bay.
Made in China of course; red, looks very smart!
Problem is, the workshop manual was also made in China! and all the instructions and captions to diagrams are in Mandarin or similar! grin
Not insurmountable, but fall-back to Plan B, i.e. back to kettle
is now in full swing.
As a bonus my PC desk-top now shows dozens of other models every time I boot-up under "we think you'd like this!" hmm

Rosina Sat 31-Jul-21 12:50:43

My daughter has a 'Quooker' and I wouldn't want one. It seems to spit boiling water over hands/arms however careful you are, it takes up a whole cupboard under the sink , conks out and needs resetting too often for my liking, and costs a small fortune to service. Most importantly, I understand you shouldn't make tea or coffee with boiling water - I let it 'die back' slightly before pouring onto the bags or leaves/granules, as recommended by the manufacturers.

Bluedaisy Sat 31-Jul-21 13:00:30

We’ve got a hot water dispenser and have had it nearly 3 years. We like ours and wouldn’t go back to a kettle. I’ve had 2 new joints in my fingers and need 3 more in the other hand so found it easier. It only needs filling a couple of times a day and once you’ve got the hang of the dial as to how much water your cups or mugs take it easy (doesn’t over flow because it’s set for that mug of water!). For vegetables I just hit water from the tap and boil that as I use a steamer for vegetables anyway. I’d say try one , you’ve got a stop button on it in case the mug gets too full as well.

Pinkhousegirl Sat 31-Jul-21 13:04:41

we have had a Quooker for five years and I would highly recommend it. Boiling water on tap (obvs!) so you can make a single cup of tea or a pot and not waste energy. Tap exterior remains cool all the time, so safe with little ones. Once you have stopped boiling water flow, it immediately goes back to cold, so very safe. And, if, like me, you have a small kitchen, you have more space on your worktop where the kettle would have been. www.quooker.co.uk

Cabbie21 Sat 31-Jul-21 13:05:37

In the office of my voluntary work, there is a boiling water tap i stead of a kettle. I struggle to use it, though i have forgotten exactly how, as I am working from home.

elleks Sat 31-Jul-21 13:08:04

rizlett

*I can still lift the kettle most days but it can be difficult when my RA flares up in my wrists.*

I use a smaller kettle - just 1 litre - enough for most jobs & a lot lighter than the standard 1.7 litre.

]]

You can get these-you don't lift them, just tip.https://www.bing.com/aclk?ld=e8Zju9Lwtcokj2uEZzILcCLTVUCUxIPVDllFibv3DhcPGE0BrI3LjdNoGN65FSnk9KrNnk2Toafd-fexyyAqNQANx1jMxj9Jk2YSHiS-AnX2mr-ZENvkHtmw1dEN-GXBXqgVE7o8B2SMCERTvQLxss0ManoCDdOfvuq0pcam3O3VJQZ44KVWbZbMHQhdgInrcAe4Z2Cg&u=aHR0cHMlM2ElMmYlMmZ3d3cuYW1hem9uLmNvLnVrJTJmTlJTLVVjY2VsbG8tS2V0dGxlLU43MzIwOS1FbGlnaWJsZSUyZmRwJTJmQjAxTUVCUUY4UiUyZnJlZiUzZGFzY19kZl9CMDFNRUJRRjhSJTNmdGFnJTNkYmluZ3Nob3BwaW5nYS0yMSUyNmxpbmtDb2RlJTNkZGYwJTI2aHZhZGlkJTNkODAxMjY5NjcxMTYzNDclMjZodm5ldHclM2RvJTI2aHZxbXQlM2RlJTI2aHZibXQlM2RiZSUyNmh2ZGV2JTNkYyUyNmh2bG9jaW50JTNkJTI2aHZsb2NwaHklM2QlMjZodnRhcmdpZCUzZHBsYS00NTgzNzI2NTQzMTk2ODE1JTI2cHNjJTNkMQ&rlid=10478b4e6c1c1b988b87ea4b50c2f8b1&ntb=1

pydora Sat 31-Jul-21 13:10:22

I have a Morphy Richards hot water dispenser with variable heat settings up to 100'.
Only boil the water you need so it's ready faster, uses less energy and doesn't waste a drop of water. There's no plumbing-in required, just use straight from the box.
Select the ideal water temperature, whether it’s 100 degree Celsius for your pasta, 95 degree Celsius for your coffee or 85 degree Celsius for your herbal tea
You can select to automatically dispense amounts of water of up to 600 ml, anything over this amount you can dispense at the push of a button
Water tank holds up to 3 L so you refill less often, then select from 150 ml to 1.5 L at a time so you can make a single cup of tea or boil water for a panful of pasta

This is the info from Amazon, although I only paid about half the price these are advertised for, so do shop around - it also tells me when I need to descale ! I love it and would not go back to a kettle.

icanhandthemback Sat 31-Jul-21 13:46:08

We had one, it was brilliant.

NemosMum Sat 31-Jul-21 14:30:35

Just something else to go wrong!

Rufus2 Sat 31-Jul-21 14:49:00

You can get these-you don't lift them, just tip.
elleks That looks like a string of expletives to be used when it tips hot water over yourself! grin

s

lizzypopbottle Sat 31-Jul-21 14:58:07

We have a built-in near-boiling water tap over the kitchen sink (as well as an ordinary hot/cold mixer tap). It's by InSinkerator and, without doubt, is the best thing ever! It simply dispenses near-boiling water instantly and was considerably cheaper than a Quooker.

Aepgirl Sat 31-Jul-21 15:34:54

Friends of mine have one. The tea and coffee always tastes of overboiled water and, unless you have one that is plumbed in, you still have to fill it. I really can’t see the benefit over a kettle.

knspol Sat 31-Jul-21 17:27:55

Inherited a Quooker when we moved house, wouldn't be without it now and several friends/relatives have now bought one after seeing ours. Ours is just for boiling water but believe you can now get newer models that provide cold water too.

christal Sat 31-Jul-21 17:32:30

i have one of those. Great thing

flowerofthewestx2 Sat 31-Jul-21 17:36:28

I've had one for over a year. I wouldnt be without it. A cuppa can be making itself whilst Im Buttering my toast.

CarrieAnn Sat 31-Jul-21 18:46:59

I love my hot water boiler,I don't find mine slow to pour at all.You never need to lift a kettle or wait for hot water at all.It saves a lot of energy compared with a kettle,and hot water all day.

SylviaPlathssister Sat 31-Jul-21 20:48:17

We have a hot tap, I just wouldn’t be without it. Boiling water straight from the tap. We do have a water softener and a separate system that provides non softened but filtered water. So I think we are covered.
We have a Insinkerator type of hot tap. Just one hole in the Granite work top. Their customer relations are excellent. I would never go back to a kettle as we live in a hard water area, so we would have to filter it before putting it in the kettle. etc etc.