Gransnet forums

House and home

Such a rise in power bills!

(57 Posts)
tanith Sun 19-Sep-21 11:56:12

I need to either go on a new tariff with present provider or switch. I’ve been on two comparison sites this morning with between them 8/9 different options for my cheapest options and all are over £300 more than my present yearly payment. My own provider is giving me similar figures for sticking with them.
I can’t believe the rise in gas prices will be this bad £300 extra is an awful lot and I’m sure some won’t be able to afford such a rise. What to do is the question? At the end of the day I’m going to have to bite the bullet I guess.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Sep-21 08:30:39

Urmstongran

The only silver lining to this is it may spark the government into life and make them realise the green fools plan for renewable energy won’t keep the lights on and houses warm. You need continuous power production not intermittent like wind and solar.

Not the brightest idea you have ever had??

Alegrias1 Mon 20-Sep-21 08:29:37

Cost of gas has gone up dramatically. Russia limiting gas supplies. Electricity lines with France broken. Brexit means the EU will support it's members in preference to us.

Yes, it's all down to green energy!!!!

I really don't appreciate being called a fool by someone who has no idea what they're talking about Urmstongran

lemsip Mon 20-Sep-21 08:28:19

nadateturbe

Its frightening indeed. I wonder will those on benefits have a corresponding rise. I doubt it.

well of course they will!!

Urmstongran Mon 20-Sep-21 08:24:44

The only silver lining to this is it may spark the government into life and make them realise the green fools plan for renewable energy won’t keep the lights on and houses warm. You need continuous power production not intermittent like wind and solar.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Sep-21 08:09:36

This is worth a thought

ichard Murphy
@RichardJMurphy
·
56m
Gas price increases suggest someone is profiteering, heavily, at cost to society. This might be the time for a windfall tax.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Sep-21 08:03:53

Strewth!

Just listening to radio.

70 fuel providers during last winter.

They say that the idea that only 10 will be left after this crises is optimistic!

What a shambles everything is.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Sep-21 07:51:35

I am currently with pure planet and am paying £122 due to rise to £184pm?

Decided to investigate switching. Am being quoted £400+ pm??? that can’t be correct surely!

Cabbie21 Mon 20-Sep-21 07:45:21

All.Charges are going up astronomically. At least four companies are expected to go under this week.

rosie1959 Mon 20-Sep-21 07:30:48

£17 is really cheap Bluebell and Ashcombe can't ever see mine being that low I was please with a reduction from £170 to £85 per month

nadateturbe Mon 20-Sep-21 07:26:30

Its frightening indeed. I wonder will those on benefits have a corresponding rise. I doubt it.

BlueBelle Mon 20-Sep-21 06:55:13

I also pay £17 per month for gas and electricity ashcombe
I m with EON I ve been with them years I can’t be doing with all the chopping and changing They advertise as using green electricity now
Large old house, I don’t have central heating but two gas fires a gas stove and gas water heater and the normal electricity tv, lights, washing machine, tumble dryer, fridge freezer etc

Ashcombe Mon 20-Sep-21 06:33:12

My provider is Good Energy.

www.goodenergy.co.uk/

This year I had a smart meter installed, enabling me to monitor daily costs. My two bedroom flat uses gas for C/H, hot water and the hob with everything else running on electricity. At one time, I was paying a combined tariff of £43 per month, causing me to be in credit.

At my insistence, I’m now charged for what I actually use, resulting in a free month, an £80 refund and a current tariff of £17 per month. This will increase in the Winter but I’ll cope with that. I like this company for its use of renewable sources of energy.

vegansrock Mon 20-Sep-21 06:33:09

Energy companies are privatised. Many are foreign owned ( including French/ Chinese etc). They have to earn profits for shareholders. I think it’s obscene that essential services such as water and electricity are allowed to be exploited in this way. This is political.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Sep-21 06:14:28

lemongrove

Whitewavemark2

It is all going so well isn’t it?

It’s a global problem...

Exacerbated by our third country status.

MaizieD Mon 20-Sep-21 01:49:56

rosie1959

Scones when they promised that they hadn't factored in Covid and how much that was going to cost

Covid hasn't cost anything. The money for his friends and donors for dodgy PPE supplies was created via the Bank of England.

Johnson has probably just forgotten that he promised anything at all.

Alegrias1 Sun 19-Sep-21 21:18:51

Baggs

Are people finally seeing the true cost of green energy?

The wholesale cost of gas has gone through the roof. Its got nothing to do with green energy.

rosie1959 Sun 19-Sep-21 21:13:02

Scones when they promised that they hadn't factored in Covid and how much that was going to cost

Scones Sun 19-Sep-21 21:11:50

This is also worth a read. www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-gas-supplies-crisis-mps-warn-a7362286.html

Scones Sun 19-Sep-21 21:06:58

www.thesun.co.uk/news/1218703/boris-promises-cheaper-household-gas-bills-if-brits-back-brexit/

"BORIS Johnson and Michael Gove today promise to scrap VAT on household energy bills if Britain backs a Brexit.

In the first cash sweetener of the EU Referendum campaign, they argue that leaving the EU will allow ministers to bin the "unfair and damaging" £2 billion a year tax on gas and electricity prices."

It might be a global problem, but they haven't scrapped the VAT as promised.

Baggs Sun 19-Sep-21 20:16:58

Are people finally seeing the true cost of green energy?

lemongrove Sun 19-Sep-21 20:00:26

Whitewavemark2

It’s a global problem...

lemongrove Sun 19-Sep-21 19:59:35

rosie1959

I fixed our with British Gas last March until September 2022 The rate they initially offered did not seem that good so I went through all their different rates took a while but found a good deal my monthly payment has halved
I could not find this on any comparison websites

Yes, we did the same with British Gas ( for our gas and electricity).

Josianne Sun 19-Sep-21 18:23:08

We switch every year to get a good deal. We have just signed up with Pure Planet and are happy it wasn't an astronomical increase

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Sep-21 18:14:07

rosie1959 Sun 19-Sep-21 16:08:56

I have been with British Gas for years just made the best use of the tariffs on offer there were loads of variations just had to hunt through them