Gransnet forums

House and home

Such a rise in power bills!

(56 Posts)
tanith Sun 19-Sep-21 11:56:12

I need to either go on a new tariff with present provider or switch. I’ve been on two comparison sites this morning with between them 8/9 different options for my cheapest options and all are over £300 more than my present yearly payment. My own provider is giving me similar figures for sticking with them.
I can’t believe the rise in gas prices will be this bad £300 extra is an awful lot and I’m sure some won’t be able to afford such a rise. What to do is the question? At the end of the day I’m going to have to bite the bullet I guess.

Shandy57 Sun 19-Sep-21 11:59:20

I've just been looking as well, Martin Lewis has a good article about it and I've joined his Cheap Energy Club.

I've just bumped into an old friend who is also widowed and has similarly recently downsized. Apparently Ofgem have a 'special offer' on heatpumps, available until March.

ElderlyPerson Sun 19-Sep-21 14:10:01

My house is all electric power and I had been on a three year fixed tariff until the end of March 2021. It went up about 40%, though I suppose that that might be three years of accumulated price rises two of which I had not had to pay before.

A one-year fixed price was all that was offered together with the (nasty) condition of having a smart meter, which I don't want anyway and certainly not while the pandemic is on notwithstanding all the promised COVID-19 precautions and promises of cleaning everything they touch.

So it was what is called the flex tariff and it is going up on 1 October 2021. Even if I had had the fixed tariff it would still be heading for a catch-up rise in 2022.

Everything seems to go up faster than pensions.

Also the regulator approves the rise for October so it will not be in the September inflation figure so it will not feed through to pension until April 2023.

Rant rant rant smile

It is good to be able to come to Gransnet and have a rant about it!

rosie1959 Sun 19-Sep-21 15:12:12

I fixed our with British Gas last March until September 2022 The rate they initially offered did not seem that good so I went through all their different rates took a while but found a good deal my monthly payment has halved
I could not find this on any comparison websites

tanith Sun 19-Sep-21 15:22:21

Thanks I'm in two minds but would prefer to stick with my current provider if i can.

boheminan Sun 19-Sep-21 15:32:43

It's frightening. With the help of the Martin Lewis site I managed to secure a gas/electric 'deal' of £106 p/m, £43 p/m than my previous payments = £516 a year more (and after I'd secured that the cheapest cost monthly went up (overnight) to £112 p/m.

rosie1959 Sun 19-Sep-21 16:08:56

I have been with British Gas for years just made the best use of the tariffs on offer there were loads of variations just had to hunt through them

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Sep-21 18:14:07

It is all going so well isn’t it?

Josianne Sun 19-Sep-21 18:23:08

We switch every year to get a good deal. We have just signed up with Pure Planet and are happy it wasn't an astronomical increase

lemongrove Sun 19-Sep-21 19:59:35

rosie1959

I fixed our with British Gas last March until September 2022 The rate they initially offered did not seem that good so I went through all their different rates took a while but found a good deal my monthly payment has halved
I could not find this on any comparison websites

Yes, we did the same with British Gas ( for our gas and electricity).

lemongrove Sun 19-Sep-21 20:00:26

Whitewavemark2

It’s a global problem...

Baggs Sun 19-Sep-21 20:16:58

Are people finally seeing the true cost of green energy?

Scones Sun 19-Sep-21 21:06:58

www.thesun.co.uk/news/1218703/boris-promises-cheaper-household-gas-bills-if-brits-back-brexit/

"BORIS Johnson and Michael Gove today promise to scrap VAT on household energy bills if Britain backs a Brexit.

In the first cash sweetener of the EU Referendum campaign, they argue that leaving the EU will allow ministers to bin the "unfair and damaging" £2 billion a year tax on gas and electricity prices."

It might be a global problem, but they haven't scrapped the VAT as promised.

Scones Sun 19-Sep-21 21:11:50

This is also worth a read. www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-gas-supplies-crisis-mps-warn-a7362286.html

rosie1959 Sun 19-Sep-21 21:13:02

Scones when they promised that they hadn't factored in Covid and how much that was going to cost

Alegrias1 Sun 19-Sep-21 21:18:51

Baggs

Are people finally seeing the true cost of green energy?

The wholesale cost of gas has gone through the roof. Its got nothing to do with green energy.

MaizieD Mon 20-Sep-21 01:49:56

rosie1959

Scones when they promised that they hadn't factored in Covid and how much that was going to cost

Covid hasn't cost anything. The money for his friends and donors for dodgy PPE supplies was created via the Bank of England.

Johnson has probably just forgotten that he promised anything at all.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Sep-21 06:14:28

lemongrove

Whitewavemark2

It’s a global problem...

Exacerbated by our third country status.

vegansrock Mon 20-Sep-21 06:33:09

Energy companies are privatised. Many are foreign owned ( including French/ Chinese etc). They have to earn profits for shareholders. I think it’s obscene that essential services such as water and electricity are allowed to be exploited in this way. This is political.

Ashcombe Mon 20-Sep-21 06:33:12

My provider is Good Energy.

www.goodenergy.co.uk/

This year I had a smart meter installed, enabling me to monitor daily costs. My two bedroom flat uses gas for C/H, hot water and the hob with everything else running on electricity. At one time, I was paying a combined tariff of £43 per month, causing me to be in credit.

At my insistence, I’m now charged for what I actually use, resulting in a free month, an £80 refund and a current tariff of £17 per month. This will increase in the Winter but I’ll cope with that. I like this company for its use of renewable sources of energy.

BlueBelle Mon 20-Sep-21 06:55:13

I also pay £17 per month for gas and electricity ashcombe
I m with EON I ve been with them years I can’t be doing with all the chopping and changing They advertise as using green electricity now
Large old house, I don’t have central heating but two gas fires a gas stove and gas water heater and the normal electricity tv, lights, washing machine, tumble dryer, fridge freezer etc

nadateturbe Mon 20-Sep-21 07:26:30

Its frightening indeed. I wonder will those on benefits have a corresponding rise. I doubt it.

rosie1959 Mon 20-Sep-21 07:30:48

£17 is really cheap Bluebell and Ashcombe can't ever see mine being that low I was please with a reduction from £170 to £85 per month

Cabbie21 Mon 20-Sep-21 07:45:21

All.Charges are going up astronomically. At least four companies are expected to go under this week.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Sep-21 07:51:35

I am currently with pure planet and am paying £122 due to rise to £184pm?

Decided to investigate switching. Am being quoted £400+ pm??? that can’t be correct surely!