Help calm me. House buying and selling stress

(996 Posts)
Spice101 Fri 24-Sep-21 13:39:33

Link to first 8 threads

tinyurl.com/4883ywjs

Thread #9

Sally97 Thu 21-Apr-22 18:10:34

Shandy57
Im sorry you have had so many issues to deal with.
You might be interested in a google review for surveyor in whitley bay whose client had a similar experience to yours re rotten floor.
Hope it helps as you were kind enough to give me advice re insurance on another thread.

karmalady Thu 21-Apr-22 19:06:29

I found it Sally, shandy this is very similar to your problem when the surveyor could not access the wooden floor. It took 13 months of legal action and an expert surveyors report. The surveyor was negligent and his insurance made an out of court settlement which paid for a brand new floor structure throughout. The surveyor should have recommended further investigation

Sally97 Thu 21-Apr-22 19:14:34

I hope I havent caused Shandy any further distress as Ive just seen she wasnt going to post about the floor any more.
As you can see although they won the case it sounds like it wasnt any easy process.

karmalady Fri 22-Apr-22 05:43:14

shandy, I have a list of expert witness surveyors. My brother is an expert witness, in a different field. They have to prepare detailed reports and may need to go to court. I believe that, at last, this is the field you need to involve. A consultation and site visit would take a great weight off your shoulders. Forget the structural engineer now, Sally`s post has pointed things in the right direction.

www.ricsfirms.com/residential/legal-issues/expert-witness/?search=true&location=United%20Kingdom&firmname=&service=-1

Yoginimeisje Fri 22-Apr-22 07:52:01

Parked opposite again last night, whoopi!

Franbern Fri 22-Apr-22 08:41:08

Yogi, you have obviously now staked your claim to that parking place opposite to your flat. An accepted 'local'!!!!

So pleased this matter seems to be sorting itself out. Enjoy our new home.

Whiff Fri 22-Apr-22 13:47:54

Shandy used looked at Karma's link there are ones near to you . Very close in fact.

Shandy57 Fri 22-Apr-22 15:42:21

Thank you for the information karmalady, much appreciated.

I'm having a horrible day. I was on the coast road and everyone was doing 60 - all of a sudden I saw the tiny little ducklings on the road. I swerved but don't think the car behind did. I couldn't bear to look in my mirror.

Now I've had my investment statement letter. I knew the war would affect the market, but it's had a big impact on my investments for my future care. I normally get a letter from my IFA before the statement, but my IFA is handing over to his son, perhaps it will arrive later in the week. AT least I have a home and am safe, it is only money.

Off to the shops to get something lovely for tea, have a good evening.

Yoginimeisje Sat 23-Apr-22 07:28:44

Thank you Fran

Hope you enjoyed your tea Shandy and well done on avoiding the little duckling, fingers crossed it got to the other side somehow.

Franbern Thu 28-Apr-22 15:53:12

Have today taken delivery of the new Fridge/Freezer ready for my new kitchen. Had this put into the dining part of my living room. Will then empty my existing larder fridge and under-the-counter freezer, wash them and have them taken down to store in my garage. Once everything is finished will advertise them for sale.

My new kitchen work starts on Monday week. Once my daughter leaves after her visit this weekend, i will be emptying out all my kitchen cupboards, etc. and storing those boxes in the spare bedroom and guest bathroom.

Beginning to get quite excited about this now. I chose to have a freestanding F/F as it gives more room inside. It does look to be a magnificent machine.

Shandy57 Thu 28-Apr-22 18:00:32

Exciting Franbern! Be careful packing everything, I twisted badly getting off the small stepladder and had a ''stitch' for a week.

I've just popped in to say I phoned my aunt earlier to say her Belledorm bed linen delivery was on the way. She's 85 soon and hasn't had brushed cotton sheets since she was a child, I hope she likes them. Nothing nicer in the winter than a brushed cotton duvet and a brushed cotton sheet - perhaps I should say 'flannelette', but it's such an ugly word!

Franbern Thu 28-Apr-22 18:44:42

You are very good to your Aunt, Shandy. Does she not have any children of her own?

She is only four years older than myself - and - personally, I would detest flannalette (brushed cotton). l find I cannot bear to much warmth at night, so short sleeved poly/cotton nightie for me and a flat cotton sheet. Then a coverlet over that sheet. During the winter months I do have a 4.5 tog duvet, but this has been put away until next winter.

Thanks for advice - I will just take everything out of cupboards and put them into my packing boxes (which I keep flattened in the garage), Then my daughter will move them into the spare bedroom, etc. for me and also move both the fridge and freezer to my garage. She does have one of those carts on which to place such items for moving.

Having worked for the Moving & Handling department of my local hospital for several years, I am very aware of serious problems that can arise from such things.

karmalady Thu 28-Apr-22 19:50:04

good luck with it all franbern, you have certainly planned well and the company sounds good. It sounds as though everything will be finished by this time next month

I just read an article about steam mops and why they should not be used on wood or laminate. I have a shark steam mop, fortunately have not used it very much, preferred my micrifibre pad on a flat head. That steam mop is going to cs tomorrow, my floor looks good and I am not about to ruin the finish. I dropped something a couple of weeks ago, it was heavy so it chipped the floor, out with the liberon wax crayons and twenty minutes later I could not see where I had chipped it

I once chipped the edge of my new granite worktop, the wax did quite a good repair there

Your aunt will love those sheets shandy, I use brushed cotton all through the winter and also home made woollen socks, they make me sleep better. I cannot say that I am acclimatised to the cooler house temperatures yet. I had to change into cuddly loungewear and a woollen jumper earlier

Shandy57 Fri 29-Apr-22 10:06:35

Morning all, lovely sunny day here.

Got a call at 10.30 last night - my daughter's new cat has bought in a nestling sad Poor little thing, told my daughter to put it in a box overnight and to try and find the nest this morning.

I wasn't implying you were frail Franbern, I know you are fit and capable, just thinking about you! My kitchen packing was worse at the rented cottage, I hadn't realised how much I had or how much there was to clean. I was so glad my son turned up that last day as I was on my knees scrubbing the oven. I think I told you the previous tenants had left an old fridge/freezer and I had switched it off to defrost - opened the top freezer door and water gushed out all over the floor. Bad memory!

My aunt couldn't have children, she was born with acute asthma and didn't grow, she is only four foot two inches tall. I have a photo of us at the beach when I was 8, we were the same height. She told me yesterday that her mattress is very old and heavy and she can't lift it, I've bought her a fitted sheet now as well to go with the set. I'm not sure if she'll like it, but at least she can give it a try, there aren't any shops that sell bedding near her. Dunelm Mill is only accessible with a car, she doesn't drive.

We've just had a scrap man in the street, first time I've seen one, he was shouting a word I couldn't make out. Stopped and went through the neighbour's skip, she is having her bathroom replaced, he took all the radiators.

I've given in and put my heating back on karmalady, just too miserable at 15 degrees.

Have a good day all, I'm off to the beach smile

karmalady Fri 29-Apr-22 17:58:48

anyone remember the rag and bone man who came around with a horse and cart. The coalman too, horse and cart, he lived opposite us in liverpool and kept his horse in a stable in his yard. No grass, just a yard but tbh the carthorse was very content.

So this afternoon I decided I had to use my slug nematodes. I have a a sprayer end for them but the hose blew off and silly me had gone out in normal clean clothes. My black jeans are now muddy and my arms wet. They used to be ok to use but today the mix turned into something like gelatine, horrible to use

I am very glad that I made another batch of vegan keto mash this morning, six portions. I have loved eating it, keeps me full. I went to the shops for a couple of aubergines and some other things, was back in just 20 minutes. That is for another bulk make tomorrow, vegan keto lasagne, no pasta. Another six portions. I am not vegan but do like vegan keto.

Yoginimeisje Sat 30-Apr-22 09:13:56

Packing and moving is such a big job, isn't Shandy You are very good to your aunt.

3mnths in now, we are getting there, shed completed, I now dislike doing the wood preserving, done sooo much, finished it all yesterday. Dishwasher in and working, got a plumber in to do the job, done in about 20mins! So good not to have to wash up again.

Garden looking pretty with all the new plants I've put in. Just a bit at the back, beside the studio/shed. Needs a little clearing, it goes into a little hill, as we put all the earth from the new shed base there, I am going to leave it like that and make it a feature, with an archway, I'm toying with making myself out of bamboo canes, with roses climbing up and maybe a little waterfall with a little pond at the bottom. Think I'm watching too many gardening programmes blush

Shandy57 Sat 30-Apr-22 09:38:46

Morning all, sunny again - and another BH. Very busy here yesterday with people arriving.

My aunt's 'heather' colour duvet cover arrived yesterday - she thinks it's grey, I exclaimed, then said she does think she sees colour differently to other people. Was the nearest I could get to lilac. Not well received!

Glad you have your shed up Yogi. I keep peeping into mine to make sure there isn't a wasp making a home in there, the rental garage was full of tryers, gave me the heebie jeebies every time I went in. Enjoy your garden planning, I've not touched mine, the grass still hasn't recovered from the roof junk being on it.

I must google keto mash karmalady, no idea what it is!

Have a good weekend everyone smile

Franbern Sat 30-Apr-22 11:15:29

Beautiful sunny day here. My eldest daughter arrived from London, but had a much longer journey than she planned due to motorway accidents etc. She has calmed down now and she and her sister (the daughter who lives close by), have gone off for a pleasant walk, up and over, through Weston Forest, and on to Sand Bay. I will shortly catch a couple of buses and meet them there. They have packed lunch with them, which I made. Sand Bay is next bay along to WsM. You can the long route along the coast road, (as I will do by bus), or have a lovely walk through the forest, which they will do.

Gives them a chance for a long chat between themselves without me (will talk about me!!).

My eldest daughter is also planning a new kitchen in a few months time, so we spent a lot of yesterday evening, happily comparing notes!!!

The local surgery Nurse tried to get me to go onto a Keto diet a last year. I looked at it and knew that I would never keep to a diet that did not permit such things, as bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. So, threw it away and followed my own, well practiced, calorie controlled one. Have lost two stone in that time, still having those carbs when I wish.

Should have been - today - my uk3a drama production, but this had to be cancelled, as so many of that group have become unwell with a bronchitus type of bug. (Not covid - but sill nasty). I am one of the few who seems to be resistant to it, but I did have two bad bouts of bronchitus in November and then again, over Christmas, so probably have more resistance.

My new fridge/freezer sits proudly in my Living Room, have not plugged it in yet - will do after daughter leaves. Will then change all those food stuffs over - probably having a good sort out at the same time, then I will wash inside and outside of my larger fridge and small freezer, ready to trying to sell them.

Shinamae Sat 30-Apr-22 12:05:54

Nothing much to contribute just to say my son is nearly settled into his new bungalow. I do like coming on this thread and reading about everything, it’s a nice gentle thread..?

karmalady Sat 30-Apr-22 12:48:59

The keto mash I made yesterday. saute chopped onions and garlic in olive oil, I added celery to that and some herbs. In another pan, chunks of cauliflower (the key to the mash) 8 minutes or so. I added chopped caulie leaf to the saute. All together in a bowl and blend with a stick blender

You can add whatever veg as long as there is a whole caulie and the onion and garlic. 6 portions, my caulie was not that big. Freezes well and I defrost, maybe top with cheese, then put a portion in the airfryer when I want a quick meal. Key also is not to skimp on the olive oil. I use caulie stem as well as florets

Really good youtube videos by heavenly fan. Next meal for later is the aubergine lasagne. Have a look at her keto crackers. I made her `meatballs` half are still in the freezer. Love them. She is a vegan

Big wash is out today before the weather turns and I have sown perpetual spinach and fordhook giant swiss chard, neither bolt that easily, like normal spinach and rainbow chard

karmalady Sat 30-Apr-22 17:48:59

That was the most wonderful and filling comfort food.

I used two aubergines and 2 long courgettes and I added mushrooms to the layering sauce. I was standing up for a long time while I prepared it all, fried the aubergine and courgette slices and they took up a lot of olive oil. Luckily I had two medium square aluminium trays and so I made two. 12 meals in all wow, I really am happy and loved it. The topping is unusual and soft, lovely

I also made two pizzas as I had two spelt bases in the freezer

Now I have ordered some lamb as I am going to make a tagine next week, which will do four to six meals. All this food is purposeful, geared to the food that really supports my blood group, which is AB+. The keto/vegan is because it is lovely and healthy and keeps me satisfied for longer

I have a lot of foil trays with lids and have used them to divide the lasagne. I am so pleased to have bought a large freezer, having all these ready meals is twofold ie I eat better and it frees me to pursue my hobbies, the spin off is that my winter excess weight is on the move

I remember now, looking at a house with absolutely no-where to put a large upright freezer and identical fridge, it was a deal breaker

karmalady Sun 01-May-22 08:24:38

It is so dull today, feels cold, I decided to get dressed in woolly jumper and fleecy comfy trousers, better than getting cold hands. No need for buying anything today, I was tempted to drive a round trip for a few things, would have been a silly use of petrol

So I have to embrace today, radio and sewing and later a film and knitting. I bought two box sets the other week including lark rise to candleford, which is easy to watch while knitting

I am still feeling joy at having had the whole interior painted, knowing that it will be good for very many years. Perhaps a bit bored right now but will soon overcome that once I concentrate on my sewing. It is gently raining now, I am hoping for more later, my water butts are too depleted for this time in the year

Franbern Sun 01-May-22 08:38:20

Had a really happy day yesterday. I do love travelling by bus. So daughters went off on their walk, then I went out - caught first bus, met someone I knew and had a chat. Got off that, crossed the road to wait for second bus, another (elderly) lady came along and we had a chat about running out own cars!!!

Bus ride was interesting - High up alongside the coast. Alighted at the end, gloriously warm and sunny. My daughters were sitting outside at a lovely tea-rooms. Joined them and they bought us home-made scones, cream and jam. Sat, gossiping, enjoying them in the warm sunshine.

Eventually went back home, where we sat on my patio balcony with cold drinks. Decided to go out for meal and managed to book early tale at a Thai restaurant. Amazing how we still managed to find so much to talk about - just the three of us.

It was one of those wonderful days, that - for me - will stay in my memory for a very long time. Daughter leaves this morning to return home and I will start the packing up of my kitchen things.

Rainy this morning - which I am sure the farmers and the gardeners will appreciate.

Shandy57 Sun 01-May-22 09:11:27

Thanks for the keto recipe karmalady, enjoy your sewing, wet here too. I've given my tall skinny waterbutt to my neighbour. It was supported on four separate linked together plastic 'poles' and the wind blew them out twice and it fell, luckily not taking the gutter with it. I bought another base but it's for a fat butt! and it was still far too wobbly. I've had to tie the connector pipe down to the upright gutter so it drips down into the drain, and will buy another butt soon.

Glad you had a lovely day Franbern, safe journey to your daughter. Glad you are packing for such a happy reason!

karmalady Mon 02-May-22 08:38:19

Franbern days such as that, so memorable, gentle and sunny with family. Lovely, saturday was glorious

Thank heavens for constant gentle rain yesterday, the ground is now thoroughly watered to a deep level. I had watered slug nematodes all over on saturday, they need damp to get them into the soil.

I shall be taking a lid off one of my water butts later, to look inside, doubt they will both be full. They are garantia columns, very attractive to look at. We had them at the last house and I had to leave them, as good after 10 years as when we bought them. Those were about 7` tall. The ones I have now are grey and 5`3 tall as I have a garage gutter above. From now on I will only use this rain water for my ericaceous plants, it seems that we will have three scorching hot months ahead. Looking out now, the filling plastic pipe is black, so it is time to detach it and clean it and also the filter. Tip for getting a hose or pipe on is to dip the end into very hot water, then I use a pipe clip to keep it on the outlet

Thankfully, I had a most lovely satisfying day yesterday, sewing and knitting and watched a film and generally pottering. Perhaps similar today. I don`t particularly like cycling on damp ground, nor with holiday traffic buzzing.

There were more people in my little town on friday and I noticed several standing looking at estate agent windows. Population is about 5000 and there are only 9 properties for sale. 6 are new builds on a proper estate out of town. House prices have rocketed here, mine would sell for 30% more than I paid, a neighbour had a valuation, identical house but my position is better.

It paid to be decisive, it would have been snapped up but I dived in before the open day, the house was still in process of being finished. I remember looking up the home phone number of the old builder, the estate agent would not let me look at the house until open day. I found his number and the builder showed the house to me that very day, then I drove and I paid a deposit to the EA, who was a bit miffed. I was the first buyer here on this close so my solicitor did the donkey work, re section this and that