Gransnet forums

House and home

Feather Dusters

(32 Posts)
OldHag Sat 09-Oct-21 12:46:50

Hi everyone

I'm looking for some advice on feather dusters, I've tried various of the extending handled, modern so called 'feather dusters', which are made of anything everything except feathers, and tend to get matted up, and horrible after using a few times. I'm now thinking of trying a REAL feather duster, but never having bought one, or even used one before, don't know whether they are any better than the man made versions, whether the feathers fall out, etc. Do you Grans have any thoughts on this subject, or indeed recommendations as to the best type to buy?

grandtanteJE65 Sun 17-Oct-21 14:20:07

I gave up real feather dusters years ago, when I found a kitten enthusiastically killing one!

I use dusters with extendable handles and fake fur dusters that can be taken off and washed, but I don't know if you can get them in the UK as I buy mine in Germany.

kittylester Sun 17-Oct-21 15:42:47

Lakeland sell those woolly things on a stick grandetante. I have a short one and one that extends almost to the top of our 'cathedral' ceiling. The heads are removable and washable. I use my feather duster for house plants

TillyTrotter Sun 17-Oct-21 15:52:46

This thread has had me laughing what with the cleaning language all-it’s-own, and using husbands instead of dusters ?
I use these things from Dunelm. They are not feather but they are cheap and effective.
Use, slide the mop head off and wash them once a week. They dry quickly.

PollyTickle Sun 17-Oct-21 19:39:27

Half a dozen of those in a vase could look quite smart TillyTrotter. Do they come in bright colours?

HumblePie Sun 17-Oct-21 19:46:41

I bought myself an excellent 6'5 man to foungbround my ornaments. He uses a microfibre cloth and the OXO good grip microfibre duster from John Lewis. Perfect for hard to reach foungbrounding and the man is self-cleaning. My real feather duster moulted more than my cats so I wouldn't recommend it.

tickingbird Sun 17-Oct-21 22:46:05

I have an Ostrich feather duster which was ridiculously expensive from John Lewis. I like it to do my blinds and shutters. It’s also good for light fittings and fiddly things. I shake it outside after each use although one of the feathers dropped out!