Gransnet forums

House and home

Advice on improving my dark kitchen

(40 Posts)
Callistemon Sun 17-Oct-21 18:23:45

Someone just recommended a similar firm to me to update my kitchen, I think it was this one:
www.dreamdoors.co.uk

I need a total re-vamp though.

(And so does the kitchen ?)

humptydumpty Sun 17-Oct-21 18:19:43

Scones this company might be able to help but I have no idea how much they charge:

www.kitchen-magic.com/kitchen-refurbishment?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk5ev7vnR8wIVQzcYCh20tw4OEAAYAyAAEgJ-_fD_BwE

FlexibleFriend Sun 17-Oct-21 17:53:45

Replace the overhead lights with cool white lcd lights and add under cupboard lights also lcd cool white. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

FarNorth Sun 17-Oct-21 17:28:56

Painting the wall outside sounds like a good idea.
I'd also look at painting the tiles rather than replacing them.

Callistemon Sun 17-Oct-21 17:25:14

Scones

This is all such great advice. Thank you. I need to do some research and thinking.

You're right Callistemon, there's a 6ft garden wall just outside the window which doesn't help at all. OH, now I'm thinking along your lines...perhaps I could paint that white to reflect some light in!!

We've just painted a garden wall, we used Sandtex Masonry paint and it went on well. Other brands are available.
You could hang those wall baskets full of bright flowers on it to add some interest.

Peasblossom Sun 17-Oct-21 17:20:27

A cheap temporary fix for the worktops could be some big, light coloured worktop savers.

I agree that changing/painting the splash back would make a world of difference.

nadateturbe Sun 17-Oct-21 17:04:06

Agree wirh replacing tiles definitely, and perhaps worktops, not sure. Maybe under cabinet lighting would help. If the units are pretty good I wouldn't replace them.

SueDonim Sun 17-Oct-21 16:56:51

Another thought is to see how much lighting would cost for the kickboards beneath the floor units. I’ve seen it in kitchens and it’s lovely.

SueDonim Sun 17-Oct-21 16:55:25

I’d look at getting the worktops and tiles replaced with lighter colours. They can be done relatively inexpensively and you could maybe incorporate under-cabinet lighting if the units don’t have it already.

Good luck - I hate dark rooms too.

Scones Sun 17-Oct-21 16:53:58

This is all such great advice. Thank you. I need to do some research and thinking.

You're right Callistemon, there's a 6ft garden wall just outside the window which doesn't help at all. OH, now I'm thinking along your lines...perhaps I could paint that white to reflect some light in!!

MerylStreep Sun 17-Oct-21 16:49:23

To add to what others have said, IKEA work surfaces are very good at a reasonable price. You could also fit low energy lighting under the wall units.

Lizzie72 Sun 17-Oct-21 16:40:31

You could paint the tiles white or cream?

silverlining48 Sun 17-Oct-21 16:39:21

A friend painted her kitchen units a very soft light grey for the same reason and it has made a huge difference. Yours are relatively new and i understand you might not want to but if you aren’t happy it might be worth doing. It would make a big difference. Perhaps they could be sprayed professionally for an even better finish.
I have a kitchen which never gets the sun so it’s on the dark side which i also dislike, especially a kitchen. I have white/ cream units with light oak surfaces, white tiles and floor, done 3 or 4 years ago so won’t need changing again. It’s much lighter now.

Callistemon Sun 17-Oct-21 16:38:32

It looks good quality.

Could you have the doors and drawer fronts painted cream or a lighter colour and change the tiles? The tiles look black too, light or white would be better.
I'd keep the worktops, are they granite or laminate?
If laminate, could you buy overlay of quartz?

What is outside? Is there a wall, a tree, a shrub which is making the room dark?

Scones Sun 17-Oct-21 16:30:01

I have just moved to a new house and I don't like the kitchen at all. It's dark and not at all to my taste. (I'd like cream units and pale wooden work tops!) The kitchen is immaculate, it was only fitted about 4 years ago and the house has been used as a holiday home since then so the kitchen has barely been used.

It seems such a waste to replace it and I can't really afford it. I'd really welcome any ideas on how I can improve it without spending a fortune? The main problem is that with the black worktop and tiles it's so dark in there. There are overhead spotlights but still the black sucks up the light. This photo was taken on a very bright afternoon and makes the room look much lighter than it is.

Any design tips would be very welcome.