House and home

Thame or Wallingford

(6 Posts)
OxfordGran Fri 19-Aug-22 20:24:39

grannypiper, hello, I pm’d you

grannypiper Sat 13-Nov-21 15:55:47

Cholsey not Chollsey

grannypiper Sat 13-Nov-21 15:55:27

Lemongrove, Agatha didn't live in Wallingford she lived in Winterbrook which is in the Parish of ChoIlsey, although to be fair there isn't even as much as a strip of grass between Winterbrook and Wallingford anymore. SueForester if i was in your shoes i would choose Wallingford. I lived there for many years and still miss it. My Husbands Brother lived in Thame and just couldn't wait to get out of the place, loved it until about 5 years ago, he sold up and moved to Benson.

lemongrove Sat 13-Nov-21 15:44:47

Both good places to live, but if Wallingford was good enough for Agatha Christie it’s good enough for me.?
I take it you have visited both places already?
It may be the location of the houses in both places that swings it for you?

boheminan Sat 13-Nov-21 13:53:24

I live closer to Wallingford, so am a bit biased!

Pros: Good bus service, lots of little independent shops and local things going on embracing all ages, eg: small theatre group, music groups, Wallingford Bunkfest annually (covid permitting). It has a lot going for it.

Cons: an expensive area to live in!

I've only been to Thame a couple of times, so don't qualify for giving an opinion, but I'm sure someone will come along soon who knows that town better than me.

SueForester Sat 13-Nov-21 12:30:11

hello, Im able to move to South Oxfordshire to a council/HA property, at 70 do not want to be in Sheltered Accommodation with wardens, red pulls yet.
Im finding that many specific over 55’s dwellings, are now available to over 18’s which I wouldn’t want. I am half familiar with either towns, proximity, rail travel and bus. I will. not have a car as I do not drive anymore.
Both towns have U3A, markets, Waitrose. This is a swings and roundabouts situation as both are attractive towns : I should decide and not prevaricate, help wih this process please, pros and cons, much appreciated.