Gransnet forums

House and home

Trying to keep energy costs down but DH doesn’t co- operate.

(71 Posts)
Cabbie21 Fri 13-May-22 08:51:41

We are fortunate not to be on the breadline, but even so, like everyone else, the energy bills have increased hugely, but DH is not willing to make any changes eg last evening I counted five lights on, three lamps in the sitting room , one in the kitchen, one in the hall. Just unnecessary. He feels the cold and is mainly sedentary but even though it is mid May the heating is still on. I go round turning radiators off, but he turns them up and the heat stays on until very late. He is a night owl, so the TV and lights are on till he goes to bed about 1am.
We had a conversation about the tariff we are on but nothing changes. He just says, well we can afford it. Any tips?

Redhead56 Fri 13-May-22 09:11:38

My husband is exactly the same I call it only child syndrome he has no idea of cutting back. I was one of eight children I remember very well no heating or lighting being without comforts in winter.
My husband takes half hour showers which are uneconomic unnecessary and it infuriates me. I don’t really have any tips sorry I just go around turning lights off that irritates him!

Pittcity Fri 13-May-22 09:11:45

My DH is the same. He often leaves the oven or hob on and that is an electricity guzzler. He always has loads of things charging which reached 100% hours ago.
I have automated a lot of things via Alexa using smart light bulbs and plugs. This means that the light or plug turns on and off by schedule and can't be left on all night. This thread has reminded me to buy another couple of smart power strips to install while DH isn't looking!!!

Auntieflo Fri 13-May-22 09:24:15

Is it husbands of a certain age? Mine is getting slightly better, but will still leave a light on, forgetting to turn it off. With me it is automatic pilot.
I will put on an extra layer, he will turn up the heating, and do the long shower thing.
I think at 83, I am not going to change him any time soon.
Do I want to? Not really.

aggie Fri 13-May-22 09:30:56

That automatic thing sounds good , but I don’t have an Alexa , nor an OH !
I am used to turning things off at the plug , but I wish chargers would turn themselves off when saturation has been reached !

Whitewavemark2 Fri 13-May-22 09:35:33

I can see this is going to cause quite a bit of stress?

Urmstongran Fri 13-May-22 09:35:54

I read the other day that turning lights off only saves 2p a day. The huge price hike is in the standing charges (some £700 p.a. apparently) and there’s nothing we can do about that.

Pittcity Fri 13-May-22 09:41:35

You don't need an Alexa as the smart bulb/plug comes with its own app....you will need a smartphone or tablet though.
Just a simple plug in timer can help.

Nannarose Fri 13-May-22 10:06:39

2nd attempt to post! Not a quick fix, but we have thermostats in every room. It takes some fiddling to get them just right, but once done, they are excellent. We have the heating system permanently on, but of course, it only kicks in when needed. It is a boon with my arthritis, as just putting extra layers doesn't help the stiff joints.
Otherwise, you may have to accept that each of you does the best that they can, and nobody's perfect!

GrandmaKT Fri 13-May-22 10:09:14

Do you have a link please Pittcity?
My DH is exactly the same. I'm not worried about the lights as the new bulbs are very low energy, but in the summer we have an electric heater to take the heat off the kitchen and he constantly forgets to switch it off.

Cabbie21 Fri 13-May-22 10:22:50

Yes, DH says they are all low energy, GrandmaKT, but every little helps. We also have numerous things on standby, some of which are a bit tricky to reach. Others have clocks which would need resetting, or settings lost. Again, it is probably not a high cost. We don't have a tumble dryer, and I only use the oven when I can cooker several things at once. Yesterday I made cauliflower cheese and did not bother to put it under the grill. Today I am using the slow cooker.
I have always watched the pennies, which is why I have savings and he has multiple collections, but that’s another thread.

Pittcity Fri 13-May-22 11:00:15

GrandmaKT

Do you have a link please Pittcity?
My DH is exactly the same. I'm not worried about the lights as the new bulbs are very low energy, but in the summer we have an electric heater to take the heat off the kitchen and he constantly forgets to switch it off.

I've just ordered this one amzn.to/3LcPxM6
There are lots to choose from on Amazon or they're available in the shops and supermarkets.
I use Philips lightbulbs like this one amzn.to/3NdFY1a that can also be bought in lots of shops.

Oldbat1 Fri 13-May-22 11:42:02

OVO have already put up our DD in April to £218 a month. I’ve just had an email this morning saying they want to now put it up to £340 a month. Energy is like a mortgage. I really really feel so sorry for those families who just can’t afford these huge hikes plus food price increases. We are lucky we have savings to fall back on. Husband leaves lights on plus he leaves computer on all day. He says “minimal” costs - he won’t change!

Elizabeth27 Fri 13-May-22 12:17:00

Maybe you could compromise on the heating as you can afford it and your husband feels the c

Cabbie21 Fri 13-May-22 12:18:59

Thanks for all the replies.
Lots of compromises going on here!

Elizabeth27 Fri 13-May-22 12:19:03

Pressed too soon

…husband feels the cold. No idea about the lights I am guilty of leaving them on even though I do not intend to and annoy myself doing it.

sodapop Fri 13-May-22 12:32:06

My husband says I have ' only child' syndrome as well Redhead56 it's really annoying. I'm just naturally bossy and self willed.

As far as saving energy costs we are fortunate that neither of us really feel the cold too much so no central heating etc. The down side is of course keeping cool when it's hot.

Kim19 Fri 13-May-22 12:46:14

I'm interested/fascinated by attitudes to savings. It seems they are mostly to be used for luxury items and not general cost of living challenges that bit us from time to time. I'd be first to admit I wouldn't choose to use my limited savings on incredibly increased h

Kim19 Fri 13-May-22 12:47:29

power bills but the relief of not yet being in the heat or eat bracket certainly compensates for that.

Hetty58 Fri 13-May-22 12:54:34

I wouldn't worry about lights - but concentrate on anything that produces heat and avoid getting chilly in the first place. There's three cosy throws in the living room and I have a habit of wrapping up if I'm going to sit down for any length of time. My friend loves her heated throw - far cheaper than putting the heating on. I have an electric blanket as it's just lovely to get in a nice warm bed.

I can't remember when I last used the main oven (maybe Christmas?) as the Ninja, combination microwave and Instant pot do everything.

Next winter will be a challenge for many so I do hope there'll be help for those on low incomes. I can afford it but don't choose to spend a lot on bills, as there's far more interesting things to splash out on.

Luckygirl3 Fri 13-May-22 13:48:31

Oldbat1

OVO have already put up our DD in April to £218 a month. I’ve just had an email this morning saying they want to now put it up to £340 a month. Energy is like a mortgage. I really really feel so sorry for those families who just can’t afford these huge hikes plus food price increases. We are lucky we have savings to fall back on. Husband leaves lights on plus he leaves computer on all day. He says “minimal” costs - he won’t change!

£218 a month!!! Is that for both gas and electricity? It is a startling amount! - do you live in a castle?

My electricity DD has gone up to £79, which is a huge increase on before; and my LPG I buy by the tankful so it is hard to judge it as a monthly amount, but it cannot be more than about £45 a month if I divide the tankful by how long it lasted. So I am looking at around £125 a month at the very most for both.

What do you have running that can justify the huge D/D?

Teacheranne Fri 13-May-22 13:53:21

Oldbat1

What!!! That seems a very large increase and makes me very concerned about what my energy bills will be once my fixed term finishes later this year. I currently pay£97 a month dual fuel and was expecting it to double but it looks like I’m underestimating the increase.

I’m not sure I can cut down significantly on usage as I tend to be careful and only light one room at a time, use an air fryer when possible or batch bake, wear an extra layer in the evenings, take a quick shower etc. But I do need to keep my house warm as I have arthritis which hurts more when it’s cold and my house is built on old marsh land so is prone to damp.

I can afford to pay my heating bills as I’ve always contributed to a company pension scheme and have saved for my retirement but so many other people are struggling and it looks as if it’s going to get worse.

Honeysuckleberries Fri 13-May-22 14:15:15

Apparently a slow cooker on high is more expensive than an oven!

Redhead56 Fri 13-May-22 16:15:54

My husband asks me to oven bake a potato on high for over an hour. I won't do it now unless something else is in the oven I think it's a ridiculous waste.

Oldbat1 Fri 13-May-22 16:58:19

Luckygirl3

Oldbat1

£218 a month!!! Is that for both gas and electricity? It is a startling amount! - do you live in a castle?

My electricity DD has gone up to £79, which is a huge increase on before; and my LPG I buy by the tankful so it is hard to judge it as a monthly amount, but it cannot be more than about £45 a month if I divide the tankful by how long it lasted. So I am looking at around £125 a month at the very most for both.

What do you have running that can justify the huge D/D?

It is for dual fuel. We live in a 1930s semi which is double glazed but we do have wooden floors and rugs and the rooms are quite big. We never have heating on in bedrooms. We don’t have a tumble drier and normally use the washing machine only a couple of times a week.. Fitted carpets would be warmer and would insulate the floors. I think OVO like other energy companies want to ensure folk don’t run up huge debts they can’t pay when the next rise happens which I think could be October time. As the warnings rightly say our fuel costs will be double what they were this time last year. Were not using the oven for roasts or baking.