Gransnet forums

House and home

Electric or Gas fireplace or wood burner!

(31 Posts)
nanna8 Fri 27-May-22 10:45:33

We have an open log fire but our main heating is a gas fire which looks pretty realistic with flames and logs. The open fire was great when we had power cuts recently but you have to sit very close to it to get warm.

Septimia Fri 27-May-22 10:41:10

No gas where we are and, being rural, the electricity supply can be iffy in bad weather. So a wood burner for us, to make sure there's some heating even if the power goes off.

If I was somewhere with a more reliable supply I'd probably go for one of those electric fake woodburners if it fitted the rest of the decor. Before we moved we had gas fires, which were efficient.

silverlining48 Fri 27-May-22 10:18:44

Isn’t electricity four times more expensive than gas?
We have a wood burner which we use when it’s really cold.otherwuse it’s gas CH.

NotSpaghetti Fri 27-May-22 09:45:43

I love a wood stove and had one for many years but wouldn't put a new one in now because of climate change. For the same reason I wouldn't select gas. I'd go for electric now I'm afraid.

loopyloo Fri 27-May-22 09:39:59

Hmm, well I am thinking of getting rid of our defunct gas fire and opening up the fireplace so when it's really cold can burn low smoke wood .and coal.
Things are being turned off here.

Audi10 Fri 27-May-22 09:32:37

Which do you prefer? We’ve always had electric ones, one is a fire surround type in lounge and the other is a smaller type on the wall. Which are both on in autumn winter for the glow as we have gas central heating to heat the house.