Gransnet forums

House and home

What would attract you to a house

(200 Posts)
Vintagejazz Tue 05-Jul-22 20:48:15

Currently selling the family home.

Just wondering what would attract you to, and turn you off buying a house from an interior presentation point of view?

NotSpaghetti Tue 05-Jul-22 22:14:40

What would attract me now is great period features lovingly preserved. I'd feel this whether it's a mid-century-modern flat, or Georgian mansion.
It's always nice if it feels looked after, in the past I wouldn't care... but I want an easier life now.

My next property will be an "easy" buy (I hope).

Vintagejazz Tue 05-Jul-22 22:15:25

Oh and there hasn't been any smokers or pets living in the house.

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Jul-22 22:28:48

That said, I can look past clutter, horrible wallpaper, terrible paint choices and nasty carpets so like Monica I'm not your "standard" house hunter

If the price is right then all that can be changed and people take their clutter with them anyway (usually).

Admittedly an uncluttered, bright, fresh property might have more immediate appeal but surely househunters should be looking at a property, visualising what it would look like with their own belongings in it?

It depends on the type of property, of course. Some older people might be looking to move to a smaller property which doesn't need much renovation although I'd always want to decorate and change the carpets. And the toilet seats!

Location and sound structure is most important.

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Jul-22 22:31:49

Oh yes, non smokers.

kittylester Tue 05-Jul-22 22:33:48

Nothing in oarticular. It needs to speak to me.

I loved our house from the outside but DH decided it was too small. I eventually persuaded him to come and look. The house had been boarded up. It was bordered up and very dark. But it spoke to him to.

We have lived here, very happily, for 30 years.

Grandyma Tue 05-Jul-22 22:37:44

We have always kept dogs & cats and live animals but we viewed a house once and not only were there cats everywhere but the smell of cats was overpowering!! We couldn’t get out quickly enough. I guess the owner must have become “nose blind”.

Grandyma Tue 05-Jul-22 22:38:06

*love

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Jul-22 22:39:06

It needs to speak to me
Yes, it's that je ne sais quoi!

We were desperate and nearly compromised when we last relocated but I'm glad we didn't.

Sara1954 Tue 05-Jul-22 22:49:19

I think it’s true that you know within seconds if it’s the right house.
I could see past most things, but unpleasant smells may put me off, and a deal breaker would be no open fire or log burner.

ElaineI Tue 05-Jul-22 23:02:01

The people who bought our house came the day DH went to Switzerland with a school excursion and were late so had to quietly peep into the 2 bedrooms where 3, 4 and 6 year old were sound asleep ? They still live there. DC now 34, 35 and 36!

Chewbacca Tue 05-Jul-22 23:07:46

Knowing that a house is "the one" is very hard to define but I think that if you can picture your own belongings, furniture and treasures in situ, you're half way there. The essentials, such as parking, required bathrooms/toilets and the roof being in the right place are obviously very important but, for me, it's that feeling that you can make the house "home" - I can fix the rest.

Elizabeth27 Tue 05-Jul-22 23:50:09

The things you cannot change are the most important to me, location and neighbours are first on my list. Next the garden, nothing with high hedges or too steep.

Chestnut Wed 06-Jul-22 00:08:43

I can see past anything but I realise not everyone can do this. The shapes and sizes of the rooms is my priority, I don't care if the decor is bad or there is clutter. What would put me off are smells, especially cigarettes or animals. Obviously it's a bonus if the carpets and walls are clean and don't need attention, and the kitchen and bathroom don't need renovating.

karmalady Wed 06-Jul-22 05:48:55

grime turned me off, I turned away from houses that had grime around shower bases. Animal smells. Damp shower smell, made me look for the fan, there was none, I walked away. No trees intruding from next door, leylandii had me walking away

I liked lots of light with more than one aspect in the main rooms No point leaving lights on for me to view, I turned them off. Clean uncluttered decor. Preferably no carpets

Sara1954 Wed 06-Jul-22 06:18:09

Before we moved here we said absolutely no more major renovation.
We knew this cottage was for sale, resisted viewing be because it seemed too small, eventually viewed it because we were getting desperate, I saw it with our ten year old daughter, knew it was right, my husband popped around the next day, we put in an offer, and there we go again, big extension, and lots of work over the years, but it was the right choice.

Calendargirl Wed 06-Jul-22 06:41:51

All the GN dog and cat owners seem keen to hide their pets and paraphernalia away while viewings are taking place, I wonder why?

Along with most things that others have said, I would be taking a good look at the neighbours garden and outside of their property, if it looked neglected it would put me off.

One of the reasons, not the main one, we bought our bungalow was because I liked its name, it had sentimental significance to me.

Mamardoit Wed 06-Jul-22 07:50:09

I wouldn't look at anywhere that didn't have ample off road parking and reasonable size private back garden. Trees close to the house would also ring alarm bells.

Inside I would certainly not be put off by normal family clutter or what was on the walls. Even kitchens and bathrooms can be replaced. The size of the rooms matters and that there is a proper downstairs toilet. One under the stairs is better than nothing and needed in homes with small children but I want a proper room.

Joseanne Wed 06-Jul-22 08:10:56

All the GN dog and cat owners seem keen to hide their pets and paraphernalia away while viewings are taking place, I wonder why?
Because the viewers might want to buy my 2 big goldies with the house, they are do lovely! grin

Seriously though, they would follow visitors round wanting to play. It is their territory after all.

They do not smell, much. They swim every day.

Joseanne Wed 06-Jul-22 08:11:13

*so not do

Davida1968 Wed 06-Jul-22 08:19:17

We had our built-in double ovens cleaned professionally so that they looked like new. I think this was the clincher, because the viewers (who eventually bought the house) did open the ovens and they said "wow!"

Vintagejazz Wed 06-Jul-22 08:26:12

Someone told me that if you're displaying photos try and have old black and white ones, rather than coloured ones of the current owners on holiday in Florida, graduating, out for dinner with friends etc

CountessFosco Wed 06-Jul-22 08:26:12

Having moved 24 times within three different continents, peace and quiet in the location, together with a view are all important. Internally, at our time of life we do not need major DIY projects so cleanliness and orderliness is paramount. Proximity to public transport is also important considering the ever increasing cost of fuel. We have drastically downsized so selling off extraneous clutter has been our watchword. Clean toilets and oven[s] important.

Esmay Wed 06-Jul-22 08:51:50

For me ,
It's the garden every time .
If it doesn't have a garden /green space - I'm not going to be happy .
So I do think that a few plants and vases of flowers definitely make a house look more inviting .

It so easy to change the inside of a house .
Sometimes people can't help their clutter if they are old /sick .
It all takes a little imagination .

Doodledog Wed 06-Jul-22 08:58:23

My priorities would be different if I were looking now. Last time it was location, number of bedrooms, garden - basically ‘family friendly’ attributes. Now it would be location (but with ‘on the flat’ rather than ‘near good schools’ as a priority), then ease of maintenance, as I would only be moving for that sort of convenience.

Clutter doesn’t bother me, as I’m not buying other people’s ‘stuff’. I don’t care about tidiness, but dirt would put me off, as would smells and noisy neighbours.

Decor wouldn’t bother me too much, as it can be changed; but I’d rather not have the hassle and expense of decorating everywhere. Heavy wallpaper and patterned carpets would deter me, particularly if I were buying at the top of my budget and couldn’t afford to get rid of them before moving in.

Witzend Wed 06-Jul-22 09:01:18

Clutter wouldn’t put me off, nor dated decor, nor would beautifully made beds etc. entice me.

What would put me off are
A north facing garden, or anything but a very tiny one one that’s been paved or concreted over
No bath, though ours is used mainly for visiting Gdcs now
A new kitchen that wouldn’t be my choice at all
Ditto bathroom
No downstairs loo
A freestanding, claw foot type bath - style over substance IMO.
Being on a busy road