Gransnet forums

House and home

Where to retire to

(79 Posts)
supergabs1960 Thu 07-Jul-22 13:51:07

I've been daydreaming about where to retire to. I still have 5 years left to serve so this helps me to stay chilled amongst all the bother of work.

I would like to live in an affordable, smallish, detached house or bungalow with a garden and a field/paddock, somewhere beautiful, no next door neighbours but close enough to a good GP and hospital. Somewhere rural but with good broadband and mobile signals. Somewhere where all the usual supermarkets deliver.

Am I being unrealistic or is there somewhere in England, Scotland or Wales that has the whole wishlist?

kiligran Sat 09-Jul-22 12:11:55

We retired to Cyprus 10 years ago and absolutely love it. Very laid back slow pace of life. We did think about returning to UK because Covid restrictions meant we didn’t see our family for 2 1/2 years but now travel is available again it’s not a priority. We have just returned from a month in the UK and we were so glad to get back to Cyprus. . We are thinking of buying a “ lock up and leave apartment “ in UK for visiting purposes. This visit we packed and unpacked 19 times. Exhausting! Too old for that now!

Grantanow Sat 09-Jul-22 12:12:05

Somerset but there are too many of us retirees here already! Do try somewhere else.

grandMattie Sat 09-Jul-22 12:37:47

Willjac123

grandmattie - I, too, live in a lovely little town in E Kent with all the amenities. Ive lived here for many years.
My husband died last November. I also feel that I need to move (200 miles) to be near DD and her family but just don't know what to do for the best . I worry about being here on my own with no family.

DH was in finance and had told me to always rent at my age. Living with DD is not on the cards.
DD is worried about security of tenure. Me too, I’m not sure what to do, get something in a retirement village? Don’t know. Needs a lot of thought and advice.

LovelyLady Sat 09-Jul-22 12:38:50

To the lady who is retiring in 5 years.
I’d recommend Scotland. It has thought of the needs of pensioners, care and NHS has been well thought-out. Housing is still affordable in most areas.

Mancunian61 Sat 09-Jul-22 12:59:41

Hi all,
To anyone thinking of moving to be near children/grandchildren I would just give a note of caution. If it is a great distance you are moving, please remember your children's lives might change and they may decide to move for work etc, you may not be always near them - they are likely to do what's best for them and that is right. Not speaking from personal experience but from reading similar posts. smile

grandMattie Sat 09-Jul-22 13:01:36

I’m very aware of that, but ATM a 5-hour journey in case if emergency isn’t on. Hence the dilemma.

Labadi0747 Sat 09-Jul-22 13:05:50

I am an expat …. Many of my friends are too& we seem to spend many hours talking & deciding” where “ the elusive retirement spot will be. All the dreams & aspirations etc. At the end of the day I think we covet what we know & I will probably retire in North Yorks where I’ve been returning to for years. That said still ‘ dreaming ‘?of the ideal spot !

karmalady Sat 09-Jul-22 13:06:25

Grantanow

Somerset but there are too many of us retirees here already! Do try somewhere else.

not too many in my market town in somerset. I live in a lovely place and it is mixed, some retirees and a few families with a total of 4 children in my immediate area. Lovely like an extended family, not an oap enclave

karmalady Sat 09-Jul-22 13:07:55

If you want a decent look at a potential area, look at the walks via youtube eg gimbalwalks and there are others. You can get a pretty good vibe that way.

LovelyLady Sat 09-Jul-22 13:13:46

I’d never live in a village again. Lovely location and beautiful affordable big house but not born there so not truly accepted. The outskirts of a small town perhaps would be my recommendation.

Bluefox Sat 09-Jul-22 14:30:27

My elder son and family live just outside Salisbury and it’s a lot like you describe.

bobbydog24 Sat 09-Jul-22 14:32:54

My husband bought a big plot of land surrounded by housing some years ago and built a house. Where I am is quiet and peaceful but because it is and has a pond with ducks and moorhens on, people seem to think it’s like a small park and wander on and walk round the pond. I’ve even found a family having a picnic, even though there are private property signs. I lost my husband two years ago and it’s hard keeping all this tidy, though it might be a good idea letting it get overgrown as it wouldn’t attract unwanted visitors. I’d never have too all this had I known I would lose my husband so early. I just dread the whole moving saga.

Ellymae Sat 09-Jul-22 14:37:27

Please let me know if you find this, sounds lovely.

Allsorts Sat 09-Jul-22 14:41:04

Sugargabs, are you willing to give up your friends and family to go somewhere where services, people and medical attention not easily available? It’s alright whilst in a couple but when one dies, I can’t see it making you happy.

Nannarose Sat 09-Jul-22 15:00:27

Two bits of information make a huge difference.
"Affordable" depends so much on what property you are selling / how much you have saved.
Where do you know people you are close to?

As many of us know, those facilities mentioned can change over time. Bus routes are cut, GP services merge and change etc. So having people nearby as part of a support group can make a huge difference. Even if you only know one person or family, you can start by plugging into their network.

I'd also think about what is most important to you. Most of us who live in ordinary rural areas couldn't tick everything on your list!

I'd agree with holidaying in different places at different times of the year.

ninamoore Sat 09-Jul-22 15:11:02

So many good and sensible tips in the replies. Where would say that would be suitable close to Bristol. TIA

SylviaPlathssister Sat 09-Jul-22 15:38:21

We have lived all over the U.K. . The South has much better warmer weather but the houses are not cheaper. Scotland is fab but the Winters last a long time.
But you really need to be looking to the future. We moved out of our 11 room period home 6 beds, huge garden in the North West to a 3 bed modern house with a small garden, in the South. Near bus routes, hospitals and Doctors and two of our children.
Our whole life has changed and we needed to start over socially.
Eventually life narrows as you get elderly, so you need to be somewhere safe and have neighbours. We haven’t quite reached that stage yet. Our location has been driven by the location of our children.
Our six old folk, never thought about getting old, downsizing when they were able, or the stress that they were putting us though, making long journeys to wash, cook, clean and do their paperwork etc.
We are down to the last one who died at 97 a couple of months ago, leaving a unbelievable mess for us to clear up.
Please whereever you move to, be realistic and consider that you might get old and need help.

effalump Sat 09-Jul-22 16:04:21

Within 10 minute drive of a beach.

CountessFosco Sat 09-Jul-22 16:08:27

Having returned to UK after 44 years, we initially settled in Shaftesbury which has a great deal to offer [western side]. However, it was too far away from our children so we felt the necessity to remove to South-West Hertfordshire which is also pleasant with rural aspects although becoming more and more built-up. We were fortunate to buy a property opposite an AONB.

Willow65 Sat 09-Jul-22 18:01:50

I absolutely love living in Cheltenham. Beautiful regency town, so many interesting cultural festivals: literature, music, science, jazz….you can walk into town, excellent theatre and masses of restaurants. Loads of parks but also very close to the Cotswolds.. 2 hours by train to London and Bath very close. I love visiting remote and beautiful places and the sea but always glad to come home!

SachaMac Sat 09-Jul-22 18:28:04

I’m in a market town on the edge of the Peak District. I have shops, library, leisure centre, GP’s etc all on hand but am also quite close to beautiful countryside. It is a long way from the coast if you like the seaside but I’m not bothered about that at all.

So sorry to hear you are in this situation grandMattie I was going through the same thing this time last year so can sympathise with you and the other posters who are now on their own. I am very lucky to have my three AC & the GC reasonably close by. I try to be as independent as I can but just knowing they’re not far away and that one of them (or sometimes all of them) smile will pop in when they can is a great comfort. I’m lucky that I have very good neighbours close by who have been very kind. Personally I couldn’t live anywhere too isolated or far away from amenities, especially in the winter. I totally understand you wanting to move to be closer to your family.

bigmama1960 Sat 09-Jul-22 18:43:11

I am not yet at retirement age but live in q village on the edge of the Peak District. Fields front and back but a village. Our closest small-town is a mile away where there is a tesco, library, doctors, dentist, co-op, market, cafes and pubs but still has a country feel. There's a bus service and train station. It's beautiful. Penistone in South Yorkshire gets my vote ?

seadragon Sat 09-Jul-22 19:04:17

From what you say it seems somewhere near Stirling may suit you. We found the town just the right size to visit for special occasions or shopping and it is surrounded by beautiful countryside and small towns and villages. Major cities Glasgow and Edinburgh are within easy reach too. The advantages of living in Scotland, especially in retirement, has been provided by an earlier contributor.

Willjac123 Sat 09-Jul-22 19:15:00

grandmattie- I feel like my life is a mirror of yours. Everything you say is the same for me! It definitely needs a lot of thought.

Tilly8 Sat 09-Jul-22 21:51:32

We won’t be going anywhere - we have happily lived in a semi detached house next to my sister and brother in law for 37 years. Shared children, dogs, the garden, the patio, caravans, cars, joys and traumas. So blessed.