Gransnet forums

House and home

Where to retire to

(79 Posts)
supergabs1960 Thu 07-Jul-22 13:51:07

I've been daydreaming about where to retire to. I still have 5 years left to serve so this helps me to stay chilled amongst all the bother of work.

I would like to live in an affordable, smallish, detached house or bungalow with a garden and a field/paddock, somewhere beautiful, no next door neighbours but close enough to a good GP and hospital. Somewhere rural but with good broadband and mobile signals. Somewhere where all the usual supermarkets deliver.

Am I being unrealistic or is there somewhere in England, Scotland or Wales that has the whole wishlist?

Oreo Sun 08-Jan-23 15:15:58

Riverwalk

I think in five years' time you might change your mind about being in the middle of nowhere with no neighbours!

Yeah, too true!
If you want somewhere warmer, don’t go to the frozen North😆
If you want somewhere dry don’t go to Wales, Lake District or anywhere on the West Coast.
Think about the future if you don’t want to up sticks again.
That means bus routes, GP surgery and hospital not too far away.
Having a few neighbours around is safer and friendlier.

Fleurpepper Sun 08-Jan-23 15:22:01

Agreed, at our age, that is the last thing you want. And it is essential to be near facilities and good public transport, as we don't know until when we will be able/allowed to drive.

For me, a market town in central England- with great facilities and public transport, cafés, restaurants, independent shops, good GP practices, but near University hospitals- is my choice. Near good train links and not too far from an airport with great links to Europe too.

Skydancer Sun 08-Jan-23 15:25:22

What you describe can be found almost anywhere in the UK.