Gransnet forums

House and home

How my move turned out!

(22 Posts)
grannyro Sun 17-Jul-22 11:27:34

Almost a year ago I posted about how I had decided at 72 years old to sell my house and start to rent so that I could free up all the equity in my house. I had a lot of comments from everyone and most of them thought it was a mistake for me to do this so I thought it might be interesting to let everyone know how it worked out. It was very stressful for a while with buyers pulling out and not being able to find a rented flat (and then finding one and losing it at the last moment - honestly the rental market is brutal!) but I finally sold the house and moved into my sons for two months whilst I was still looking. I am a great believer that things always work out OK in the end and just as I moved into my sons I found the ideal flat. Third floor in a gated estate (an old Army academy site), a wrap around balcony, a modern kitchen, 2 bedrooms, an en suite (something I have always coveted!) and near to transport links. (I live in London). I do not miss my old house at all and I do not miss my garden (a few pots are much easier to manage) and I have a very healthy bank balance!! I have already been to Mexico on holiday and have just booked an Antarctic trip next year. Yes, there are downsides like the fact I only have an 18 month contract but as I said previously, things always work out right in the end so I am not worried. I love my new place and couldn't be happier!

Knittingnovice Sun 17-Jul-22 11:38:28

I'm happy for you. I also admire your attitude that everything will work out in the end, I wish I had more of that attitude. Let's hope you inspire many more people by following your heart and being true to yourself you can't go wrong.

Shinamae Sun 17-Jul-22 11:40:03

Well done you! ??????

SunshineSally Sun 17-Jul-22 11:40:29

Am so pleased everything worked out well for you ?

Hopefully you’ll be able to renew your contract if not, then you could always travel round the country trying different areas.

We are all different and what works for one person may not work for another. For me, I like certainty so would find it worrying that I may not be able to renew my contract. That, together with service charges/ground rent would worry me I know. I guess if you have a good management company/landlord then it shouldn’t be a problem.

Thank you for coming back to tell us - lovely to hear it all worked out well for you ?

Calendargirl Sun 17-Jul-22 12:54:19

Nice to hear a bit of positive feedback. So often issues or problems are aired on GN, advice is offered, but we never hear the outcome.

Pleased for you.

??

crazyH Sun 17-Jul-22 12:59:21

So pleased it all worked out- enjoy your planned trips !

Kandinsky Sun 17-Jul-22 13:03:55

That’s brilliant!
Happy for you. smile

TillyTrotter Sun 17-Jul-22 13:43:13

By going to your son’s you had time to choose your flat and it sounds lovely.
You must be so pleased.
Wishing you good luck for the future.

Redhead56 Sun 17-Jul-22 13:57:40

It's good to hear you are happy and content in your new home stay positive.

Charleygirl5 Sun 17-Jul-22 14:18:43

That has worked out very well.
You live in London as do a few of us and before Covid we met regularly for coffee in Debenhams, Oxford Street but there are other GN meetings, depending on where you live.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 17-Jul-22 16:18:22

I’m pleased it worked out for you, MissOoops has had to move 4 times in the last 8 years as the Landlord has either wanted to sell the property or the Landlord has moved back and wants to live in the house.

It’s been an awful lot of expense for her and it’s really messed up her Credit Rating.

MerylStreep Sun 17-Jul-22 16:28:32

grannyro
Would that photo be in Woolwich?

Blossoming Sun 17-Jul-22 16:35:56

That’s so lovely to hear GrannyRo.

nandad Sun 17-Jul-22 16:43:10

Well done you. I wonder if I would be so brave - probably not.
So pleased it’s worked out for you and great to hear your positive attitude.

nadateturbe Sun 17-Jul-22 16:46:46

So pleased for you. Nice to have an update.
Beautiful sunset.

Nannarose Sun 17-Jul-22 17:06:46

Thank you for letting us know - I value all the different points of view on this site.

DerbyshireLass Sun 17-Jul-22 17:19:59

Great to hear how well it's worked out for you.

I'm just about to do the same. I am downsizing. Have sold my house and keeping ? it all goes through ok.

My master plan is to rent for a while whilst I search for my next onward purchase. No hurry, because I want to get it right.

grannyro Sat 30-Jul-22 18:25:08

Yes, the picture is Woolwich, facing towards Woolwich Common.

Kim19 Sat 30-Jul-22 18:38:07

I love your positive attitude and powers of personal risk assessment. Well done you. I'm delighted you are so happy with the outcome. Long may that continue. Good luck and thank you for the feedback. Very kind.

MerylStreep Sat 30-Jul-22 18:43:10

grannyro
I thought so. I grew up there until I was 20, then onto Greenwich, before it became hideously expensive ?

SuzieHi Sat 30-Jul-22 21:00:33

Hope it all continues to go well for you! Travel while you can & enjoy the anticipation & adventures !

RichmondPark1 Sat 30-Jul-22 21:55:09

What a positive and inspiring story grannyro. Your flat sounds perfect for you and the view is wonderful. How exciting the future is for you.

I am in the process of doing exactly the same thing. Like DerbyshireLass the house in the country is sold and we hope to exchange contracts soon. The plan is to rent a lock up and leave in the buzz of the city. Then we plan to travel, hopefully doing some of it as 'house sitters' looking after peoples pets and homes whilst they're away which sounds fun and interesting. All a bit nerve wracking and fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants....but when I think about it I get a bubble of pure excitement.

Good luck with the move DerbyshireLass and good on you grannyro.