Gransnet forums

House and home

New white denim jeans gone yellow.

(30 Posts)
Allsorts Wed 20-Jul-22 11:58:05

I have tried absolutely everything to get my white jeans white again. Before I first washed them, not reading the washing instructions I put a cap of bleach in the wash to brighten them, they looked patchy pink on the line but dried patchy yellow, tried lemon juice, vinegar, .bi carb, glow white still yellow.
Has anyone dyed something they have ruined, if so what colour is best or should I just bin them.

riete Wed 20-Jul-22 12:06:27

if the white jeans aren't the white you want, and nothing you've done has improved them, might it be best to give in on white jeans and dye them a completely different colour? pink? real yellow? indigo? green?

MerylStreep Wed 20-Jul-22 12:13:37

I’ve known this to work

www.mollymaid.co.uk/2013/06/19/let-the-sun-in-how-to-naturally-bleach-out-stains-on-clothes/

Esspee Wed 20-Jul-22 12:18:34

I agree with MerylStreep. It is amazing just how great the sun is at removing stains.

Boz Wed 20-Jul-22 12:19:30

If you paid under £50 just bin them.

Poppyred Wed 20-Jul-22 12:27:13

If MerylStreep’s advice doesn’t work, dye them. Dylon’s machine dye works very well.

Visgir1 Wed 20-Jul-22 12:31:11

Could you phone the supplier /shop and complain?
You might find your not the only one?
Shame though, especially when you thought you had the perfect pair.

FlexibleFriend Wed 20-Jul-22 12:34:44

I've dyed multiple pairs of white jeans because they were more cream than white. I now have an orange pair, a bright blue pair, a purple pair and two black pairs. As Poppyred said above Dylons machine dye is a life safer. Just pick your shade and even if it doesn't work, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Gin Wed 20-Jul-22 13:18:18

Are they 100% cotton? If they are a mixture with synthetics, the bleach would cause yellowing and nothing will get it out in my experience.

Mizuna Wed 20-Jul-22 13:20:09

I buy white jeans so that I can dye them different colours with the Dylon machine dye, which is fantastic. I love the teal, grey and denim blue dyes.

timetogo2016 Wed 20-Jul-22 13:23:02

Bleach stains white yellow.
I think you wil have a problem here.

Sago Wed 20-Jul-22 13:27:22

Try Ace gentle bleach, the white one, soak for 12 hours in Ace and cold water then wash with a whitening sheet.

Poppyred Wed 20-Jul-22 13:34:15

Visgir1

Could you phone the supplier /shop and complain?
You might find your not the only one?
Shame though, especially when you thought you had the perfect pair.

Surely not if OP added bleach and washed them before wearing??

PinkCosmos Wed 20-Jul-22 13:58:51

Mizuna

I buy white jeans so that I can dye them different colours with the Dylon machine dye, which is fantastic. I love the teal, grey and denim blue dyes.

How do you get on with the stitching when you dye your white jeans.

I have used Dylon to dye light colours a dark colour but the stitching has stayed the same colour.

I suppose it will look OK on jeans as the stitching would look intentionally white. I didn't look great on a bra I dyed though!

Mizuna Wed 20-Jul-22 14:19:49

Yes, the stitching stays the same colour, but I like that.

Mine Wed 20-Jul-22 14:42:46

Under £50 BOZ.....I'd only bin them if they were under £5.00 otherwise I'd try and dye them....I'm scottish right enough..[[smile

Poppyred Wed 20-Jul-22 14:52:24

Mine

Under £50 BOZ.....I'd only bin them if they were under £5.00 otherwise I'd try and dye them....I'm scottish right enough..[[smile

Same here and I’m Welsh ?

Esmay Wed 20-Jul-22 14:54:04

Hydrogen peroxide plus washing up liquid plus baking soda - mix into a paste with water and apply with an old toothbrush .

Wait about half an hour .
Have a peek .
Leave for another 15 minutes then wash off .
Try again .
But if this doesn't work - I really don't know what will .

Bleach can interact with oxides in water and cause staining .

Some fabrics will yellow when bleach is applied .
If there's no warning on the label about bleach having an adverse effect - try demanding a refund !

This has happened to me .
If you do dye them - Dylon machine dye is great , but don't do what I did the first time - I put the item in dry . It has to be damp right through or the result will
be patchy .

Wishing you luck .

Mine Wed 20-Jul-22 15:05:04

Well said Poppyred....grin

RichmondPark1 Wed 20-Jul-22 16:06:29

I discovered by accident how brilliantly white the hot sun brought up my old sheets. It was so effective I washed all my white linen and hung it out during the last few blistering days. It all looks new!

Auntieflo Wed 20-Jul-22 16:28:34

Don't know if it is worth mentioning, but could you try Napisan?
Someone I knew ages ago, always used it it her white washes, and everything was pristine.

BlueBelle Wed 20-Jul-22 16:35:12

Unfortunately that cup of bleach will have done it and nothing you can do about it remember doing just that to my sons shirt years ago and it came out creamy yellow or even yellowing cream
Dye them you can’t take them back or complain cos you did it
yourself Bleach will turn things yellow unless very diluted

Good grief boz you must be a very rich woman if you bin new things under £50!!! And I m not Scottish or Welsh

Baggytrazzas Wed 20-Jul-22 16:42:17

I would have a final go at a 30 degree wash with biological powder plus a big dose of that pink oxi powder might be Vanish ( sorry have forgotten the name). wash the jeans on their own, do the maximum number of rinses, take them out straight away after spin cycle and dry IN THE SHADE , then see if they are any better. ( I think the sun might enhance the yellow at this point).

If you do dye them, its likely that if the white is discoloured in patches then the dye will also be patchy, in your new colour.

its really annoying when this happens to something you like, isn't it?

Pudding123 Wed 20-Jul-22 18:04:57

I had a favourite pair of white cotton shorts a few years ago which for some reason got bright pink patches on when I washed them( I think I may have had Sun tan lotion on them).
I washed them again in the sink then pegged them dripping on the line in full sunlight and they were restored to their former glory.
Good luck.

Allsorts Wed 20-Jul-22 18:35:07

It was my fault I didn’t read the label it stated clearly no bleach. I won’t be so silly next time. The next time it’s burning sun I will peg them out for two days. I’ve tried everything else. After that begrudgingly bin them as they are no use in a charity shop discoloured. I dislike waste.
Thank you everyone.