Gransnet forums

House and home

Large sofa recommendation

(37 Posts)
Dotty123 Sat 23-Jul-22 19:28:44

We’ve had our two M&S three seater sofas for over 20 years and they’ve been amazing! Sadly the upholstery has faded and so either we need to get them recovered or just replace them. Any recommendations for where to buy good quality sofas which will last?

CraftyGranny Thu 22-Sep-22 18:25:04

I have a new Sofa Sofa suite. Absolutely love it for the comfort and appearance.

SusieB50 Thu 22-Sep-22 18:33:02

So agree about the depth of modern day sofas . I’m 5ft 1in and am following this closely . I have a very comfortable IKEA Ektorp which I like but it’s 12 years old and the cushions are going . I prefer washable loose covers as I have 4 messy grandchildren and a granddog that although I say to my family keep him off the furniture he’s always jumping up when my back is turned !

Flaxseed Thu 22-Sep-22 18:38:27

We have ordered ours from Neptune. Pricey but should last us until we are carted off to a nursing home grin

We only discovered Neptune recently and everything is sooooo lovely. You would need a second mortgage to kit your home out from there though sadly confused

Hellogirl1 Thu 22-Sep-22 18:49:01

Measure your doorways and any sofa you plan on buying. I didn`t, and when delivered they couldn`t get it in the house. It had to go back and be split into 3 pieces before being re-delivered, and it cost me an extra £200 for 2 experts to come and fix it back together!

tidyskatemum Thu 22-Sep-22 19:02:39

We’ve had a 3 seater sofa from sofah.co.uk for just over a year and it looks like new. They have a showroom in Chorley, Lancashire, next door to where the furniture is made to order. Sales are online. Excellent quality and service - they moved heaven and earth to get ours to us before we moved up to Scotland!

NotSpaghetti Thu 22-Sep-22 19:05:44

I would re-cover.
You like it, it's still strong and was obviously good quality.
Even if it's expensive it's likely to be less than a new one.

karmalady Fri 23-Sep-22 07:18:11

Mine is a leather midi tetrad, bought 2011. Darker than the picture and I have replaced the two big seat cushions with firmer purpose made and made piped covers for that as I wanted to completely change colour in my new house. I also replaced the back cushions with 3 large bright feather cushions. I love that sofa and know that a dd has her eye on it.

www.taskers.com/brands/tetrad/tetrad-montana/tetrad-montana-midi-sofa-tsk179651

It does have a deep seat and I need two cushions behind me so I don`t sit in it day to day but if I want relaxation then it is divine for sideways legs up sitting and being 4`11, I can sleep on it. Tetrda has worn so well and it moved house with me

It was definitely a considered purchase then but was inflation-proofing, looking at prices now

NotSpaghetti Fri 23-Sep-22 07:53:01

We were gifted a huge Tetrad from a friend (who was downsizing and bought a smaller version) many years ago. It got good use here for about 10 years but has gone on to another friend now as we have moved the study to a smaller room since my husband's retirement. I would also suggest you look at Tetrad if you decide on a new sofa.

On the other hand, we are still using a 3 piece suite by Parker Knoll which was second hand in 1950. It has been recovered many times and is still going strong. I don't know if Parker Knoll are this durable these days or not but would have a look at those as well.

karmalady Fri 23-Sep-22 08:35:19

Dotty, on reading your post again, it seems that you have liked your sofas very much. I would definitely get then re-seated and re- covered. Get a professional in. They are likely to have been good quality if the only fault is in the fabric looking worn and shabby. It will be worth the money

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 23-Sep-22 09:50:52

karmalady I love the Tetrad range, especially the ‘Eastwood’ sadly discontinued.
We had a Wesley Barrel suite and the cost to recover was within a few pounds of a brand new suite from them, but we had it for 25 years or so and wish that we had had it done, since then we are on our third suite and we both hate it!

NotSpaghetti Fri 23-Sep-22 16:25:18

I also loved the "Eastwood" - don't understand why they discontinued it!