Gransnet forums

House and home

We completed yesterday. My body is broken!

(36 Posts)
Flaxseed Sat 30-Jul-22 20:01:43

I sold my house in September, moved in with DP. Put my belongings in storage.
We then started the long search of finding somewhere together (missed a bit out where I was going to buy alone etc but irrelevant now)
A place came up for sale that we had seen being renovated a couple of years ago (an old forge, so not a barn conversation as such but that’s what it was marketed as)
We always thought it looked odd but viewed it anyway and were blown away.

It’s everything I ever dreamt off. Contemporary, spacious and I have a utility room AND a garage!

But DP decided we would move ourselves with the help of his son.

I am so happy we are in (surrounded by boxes, no tv, mattress on the floor) but seriously we are too old to be been moving ourselves!
Every part of me hurts and we still have half the storage unit to finish emptying tomorrow!
My son in law helped today but DP had to stop when it was half done as yesterday exhausted him (he’s very fit - weight trains most days)

I’m back at work on Monday and wonder how I will make it!

The moral of the story is ALWAYS get a removal company to move you grin

I told DP this is our only move. I seriously couldn’t do it again! I’ll go out of here in a box wink

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 30-Jul-22 20:05:41

We’ve always moved ourselves (and helped our AC’s) but after the last daughter moved we said ‘never again’ in future we will get the movers in to do it for us.

We need to get the decorators in and just moving the furniture fills me with dread.

Smileless2012 Sat 30-Jul-22 20:09:17

You've done well Flaxeed we only moved ourselves once and used our company van and 2 members of staff for the day but would never do it again.

Enjoy your new home.

SuzieHi Sat 30-Jul-22 20:41:02

Take your time…it will all be fine!

Georgesgran Sat 30-Jul-22 20:51:07

Haven’t moved much and wouldn’t dream of DIY - known to me as Destroy it Yourself.
DH was in Mexico (very convenient) last time, so a National Company came to pack and move. I was mortified to find a clean pant liner had been put in the box from the downstairs loo!

M0nica Sat 30-Jul-22 21:46:37

Always use professional removal companies. They are quick, efficient and trained to do the job with minimum effort.

Deedaa Sat 30-Jul-22 21:57:46

When we moved up from Cornwall to Berkshire we used a removal company. Just as well as a few days before we moved the couple we were buying from phoned to say they couldn't move out yet. If we'd been moving ourselves I don't know what we'd have done, as it was the removal company loaded up all our stuff and put it in storage while we waited to move in (for 3 months!) Twenty two years on there are still a couple of boxes in the garage that have never been opened!

Teacheranne Sat 30-Jul-22 23:25:10

I moved five times with my ex husbands job and each time we used the removal firm for packing as his company paid. The last time I had three children under the age of 4 so went on a playgroup summer outing on the day of packing to get out of the way! All went well until we began to unpack when I found the men had packed literally everything, even the full rubbish bin from the kitchen which I forgot to empty!

My last move ten years ago I paid myself but still booked the full packing service, it was such a small amount on top of the cost of removal vans travelling 100 miles away and was well worth it. All I had to do on the day was supervise and have a quick hoover around after the van left!

karmalady Sun 31-Jul-22 07:10:31

Oh flaxseed, the only time to move yourself is when you are young and all you might need is a transit for a few trips. Anyway I am glad you are in and can now take your time unpacking and sorting. Congratulations

Personally, I packed my whole 4 bed house by myself, even putting mattresses into polythene protectors by myself. I took my time, it started obviously with clearing stuff out to charity shops etc and then I did one room at a time. I would still do most stuff myself, all the crafting stuff especially

I did benefit at the other end, mostly the marked boxes went into the right rooms as they were coded by me. I also took apart some precious bits of furniture, after all no remover would care for my stuff as I would. I could still do it now

Calendargirl Sun 31-Jul-22 07:23:09

We moved from one end of town to the other. Took lots of stuff in the car over a few days, our new house was empty.

On the actual moving day, my DH and a relative moved the big stuff using a horse box and tractor. ?

Don’t know what the new neighbours thought, it was quite an upmarket area! Obviously the new neighbours were ‘lowering the tone’!’

grin

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 31-Jul-22 07:24:56

We always used to do the move ourselves with a couple of helpers. Last time though OH was abroad. He left before contracts were exchanged and returned three days after the move! Six weeks in all. I hired proper removers, my mum came over to help put things away in cupboards and all went fine. Except OH had forgotten the address of the new house to give to the taxi driver!

Franbern Sun 31-Jul-22 09:54:44

With all the heavy costs of moving, think that having a good professional moved (doing all the packing also) is, comparatively a very small addition.

It is ALL so very stressful however you do it - but, at least,not quite so physically so with a company doing all of this.

But, flaxseed all in the past for you now. Just relax and enjoy your new home. Unpacking can take as long as you wish. I moved from the family home back in 2003, and when I moved out the next house in 2019, I discovered two packing boxes in the garage, still sealed. Decided that if I had not needed or missed anything they contained for all those years then it was not important and disposed of them.

Must admit that when I moved to my present flat - obviously with less space to store packing boxes, my daughter nearby was astonished as to how quickly I did the unpacking - all done within five days of moving in.

Davida1968 Sun 31-Jul-22 10:05:09

I am with other GNs here - definitely have a removal firm to manage a home move.
(I suggest this for anyone over the age of thirty!) We've had firms do all the packing of boxes too - what a Godsend that is! (You just do your own "personal" stuff.) We transported pets & tender houseplants ourselves, by car. Even then, it's a LOT of work. Congratulations Flaxseed. Wishing you every happiness in your new home.

M0nica Sun 31-Jul-22 12:20:52

We moved into our first home using a hired van. our goods were stashed at our respective parents houses (100 miles apart) plus collection from a number of other places.

We moved 5 years later. In that time we had fully furnished a 4 bedroom house and acquired two children and all their belongings. The removers, completely filled their largest removal van. When we realised how much we had, moving it ourselves was never even contemplated.

Redhead56 Sun 31-Jul-22 13:55:51

Our last move was twenty two years ago literally five mins walk from our previous home. We needed the extra room so we decided to move to a bigger house up the road. We hired a local removal company which turned out to be the worst ever on Merseyside.

We got the wrong furniture utensils and clothes delivered to our new house. They were totally unorganised we spent hours waiting for them to return with our belongings. We were told later in the day the company had booked three complete house removals in one day. You could not make it up if you tried and eventually after causing havoc in three households they went.

We vowed we would never move again and even though we should we will stay put. We were very unlucky moving house is one of the most stressful times in life. You are there now in your new home with many things to look forward too so enjoy?

SueDonim Sun 31-Jul-22 14:32:30

Enjoy your new home, Flaxseed! ? ☕️ ?

We’re moving next month, or rather we’re completing a move that began in May. Our new house wasn’t ready then so we’re ‘glamping’ in a one bed flat for now. Minimal housework, I must say! ?

We’ve moved lots of times and always had a removals firm. I can’t imagine how we’d go about moving large items of furniture. We chose to pack much of the non-breakables ourselves this time, partly because we were doing a massive declutter and it was easy to go through stuff, dispose of what we weren’t keeping and then put the rest into boxes.

Whilst I’m looking forward to getting settled, I must say, I’m not looking forward to unpacking it all, and making a quart fit into a pint pot! ?‍? ?

Flaxseed Sun 31-Jul-22 18:13:05

We have spent three days moving. Friday was everything from DP’s house(two van runs)
Saturday and today my storage unit (only one van run both days)
There’s still more there but that can be done in one run.
We are in a complete mess and I think sorting out the boxes will take months (I only have weekends to sort mine) but it’s a relief that most stuff is here now.

Thanks for the good wishes. I never imagined I would ever have anyone so lovely, but luckily I met a nice partner whom I was willing to invest with (we have paid exactly half each - now to update our wills!)

I am truly shattered and am going back to work tomorrow for a rest! But I am also very content and happy wink

Good luck to anyone moving soon! Just don’t do it yourself!

SueDonim Sun 31-Jul-22 20:55:39

That’s great, Flaxseed! I know that happy feeling. We moved into a house with three youngsters in winter. The house was dirtier than it looked on viewing, the CH didn’t work and when we went to bed, one of our cats had peed on the mattress. I was in floods of tears, going ‘I’m so glad we moved here!’ ??

4allweknow Tue 02-Aug-22 12:05:55

When thinking back to first move 55 years ago, it was DIY. Next was a long distance so removal firm. Next two DIY. From then on always removal firm. I think over the years contents had increased especially with 3 children and again long distances involved. If I was miving now think I'd only take my personal affects and get rid of everything to start anew. Certainly wouldn't DIY a full house contents.

dragonfly46 Tue 02-Aug-22 12:18:50

Our worst move was moving from Holland back to the UK. The American company organised it from Chicago! We had a big van, three men (I swear one of them was 90!) and they took 3 days to pack everything up dropping and breaking things on the way!
One of them slept under the van and the other two in the van.
They decided they would not go the shortest crossing back to the UK but go via London - their home - and cash in the other ferry tickets.
It meant we had to pay for a night in a hotel in the UK as they lost a day!
We moved into a rented house on the landing path of the local airport with no double glazing and half the size of out Dutch home.

The next move to our present house was arranged by us and was extremely smooth.

NannaFirework Tue 02-Aug-22 12:44:31

Blimey no wonder you are exhausted. But your New Home sounds wonderful and I hope you (both ) are happy there xxx

Nellie54 Tue 02-Aug-22 13:40:01

Last two times paid for them to pack etc. We had to do initially as it was going into storage so did the same this last time.

Rosina Tue 02-Aug-22 13:51:05

It's such a stressful time - well done for moving yourself as well, so I hope you have a long and happy life in you rnew home.
I would never contemplate moving our house contents - the weight of the washing machine alone would have us both floored, but good luck to those who can!

Happysexagenarian Tue 02-Aug-22 14:17:37

Well done Flaxseed It's hard work, and it's easy to forget you're ??? years older than the last time you did it.

We always moved ourselves until we moved to our present house. We hired a (recommended) removal company as we wanted everything stored for 10 days so we could do some decorating in the new house before we filled it with furniture. We did our own packing however.

When we were eventually reunited with our belongings I wished we had moved ourselves as we would not have damaged or lost so many things.

As you said, the only way we're leaving here will be in a box!

Bijou Tue 02-Aug-22 16:06:29

In 1946 just being demobbed we had to live in an attic room. When we had to get out and move into a bedsit we put our few sticks of utility furniture etc into storage. When managed to get a flat and get back our possession we found the storage men handled our furniture as though it was valuable antique stuff.