Gransnet forums

House and home

Slippery Shower Tray - self adhesive discs?

(20 Posts)
fourormore Thu 04-Aug-22 10:22:36

We currently have self-adhesive 'discs' on the floor of our shower. They are great as they are very non-slip so we feel safe!
Bath mats or wooden slatted things etc. are ok but hard work to keep clean - these discs have been great but over time have become discoloured around the edges so look horrible. The discs are about 4" diameter.
Does anyone know if you can buy a long wide strip of the same self adhesive as a strip covering the full length in one go would be perfect.
Meanwhile we'll have to contort ourselves into the shower to remove the worst discs and replace with new! The old backs are complaining!
Thanks in advance!
If there is any doubt re 'advertising' I would appreciate details via PM!

vampirequeen Thu 04-Aug-22 10:27:56

They sound like a brilliant idea.

Chewbacca Thu 04-Aug-22 10:32:32

Watching with interest! The non slip discs in my shower were horrible after a while, very difficult to remove and clean but I put them in the dishwasher and they came out very well. Standard shower mats get similarly grotty.

Auntieflo Thu 04-Aug-22 10:34:00

If you Google, Non Slip Bath Strips, you will find lots of products. Like these, and lots more.

Parsley3 Thu 04-Aug-22 10:36:06

I put an ordinary hand towel on the floor of the shower and that gives a good grip too.

silverlining48 Thu 04-Aug-22 10:49:00

MY dd bought me a black rubbery mat post hip surgery which grips on the shower floor when in use and can push onto the wall tiles afterwards.
For a shower mat it’s stylish and is always ‘aired’ so hope it doesn’t discolour etc. and it makes me feel safe.
Sorry not sure of the make and can’t attach a pic, above my grade.

silverlining48 Thu 04-Aug-22 10:49:51

Before I got the mat I used a hand towel on the floor too.

fourormore Thu 04-Aug-22 11:01:06

Thank you everyone - In a light bulb moment I messaged the seller of the 'discs' on a well known auction site and they replied and have exactly what I was looking for!!!
Measuring 36" long by 16" wide it looks perfect so it's ordered!!!
Thanks for all your help and keep safe everyone!

Oldbat1 Thu 04-Aug-22 11:36:51

Well done sourcing what you need. Our previous walk in shower floor was very very slippy- we’ve just had a new walk in shower fitted and the tray is slip proof! Im thrilled.

henetha Thu 04-Aug-22 11:41:24

Having had 2 bad fall in showers, I am paranoid about slipping over again. I use a plastic shower mat and wash it after use every time, but they still go mouldy eventually.
A hand towel on the floor sounds like a good idea.

Baggytrazzas Thu 04-Aug-22 11:47:18

I too use a hand towel on the floor and when I'm out of the shower wring it out and use it to wipe everything down.

I did try a bigger towel but it's far too heavy to wring out, too bulky to wipe anything down, and I was a bit worried that it went too close to the drain and might cause an overflow.

Gin Thu 04-Aug-22 11:47:24

I have just spent an age scrubbing the shower mat, it is lifted, rinsed and put on the towel rail every day but still gets black mould . Anyone know of one that doesn’t attract mould?

Elegran Thu 04-Aug-22 11:51:51

I was about to post my solution, but then I read a few more posts and found that others had a similar idea.

I use a a teatowel with a waffle weave. I bought a pack of four in a distinctive colour, and keep them with the towels in the bathroom. They are not as thick as a hand towel, so when washed they dry faster, but they work just as well, clinging well to the shower base. (they also double as cloths to give the shower enclosure walls a quick wipe down to get rid of the splashes)

Baggytrazzas Thu 04-Aug-22 11:58:21

Gin

I have just spent an age scrubbing the shower mat, it is lifted, rinsed and put on the towel rail every day but still gets black mould . Anyone know of one that doesn’t attract mould?

I don't, but if you give it a quick spray once a week with either diluted bleach or a spray black mould remover that comes in a purple container, and leave it to dry before rinsing it off,( I leave it overnight and rinse the next day) it probably won't reappear every day.

I think that there are some newer mats that come with anti mould properties, don't know how good they are though.

silverlining48 Thu 04-Aug-22 12:14:56

My very efficient shower mat is black so hopefully will not discolour. Have had it for 3 months and so far no sign of mould. I dont rinse it after showers, I just peel it off and stick it to the wall where it drips dry.

tanith Thu 04-Aug-22 12:25:31

I have a small shower mat that I hang up every day after my shower, windows open of course. It doesn’t get mouldy but I soak it in a weak bleach solution every week and it’s like new.

ALT57 Thu 04-Aug-22 12:49:48

Cheap Rubber flip flops work for me no slippage at all

silverlining48 Thu 04-Aug-22 15:53:03

Now that’s a good idea ALT.

Charleygirl5 Thu 04-Aug-22 15:55:37

I bought the adhesive discs a few years ago but removing them was a nightmare.

I have never had mould problems. I rinse the shower mat and as I use a stool, I place it over it to dry.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 04-Aug-22 18:21:51

I have rubber non slip mats which are easily washed. They are absolutely fine so no slipping and able to be changed when required. We dry ours on the clothes line.