Gransnet forums

House and home

Share your ideas please!

(27 Posts)
Flaxseed Thu 04-Aug-22 21:53:10

Since moving last Friday to our dream house and feeling excited (but exhausted!) I now feel so overwhelmed.
I have worked all week so am looking forward to sorting boxes this weekend.

My brain is all over the place with addresses needing changing, items that are needed deep in boxes somewhere - which are all priorities, but not much fun. confused

So my mind then wanders to what scent of hand soap shall I have in the cloakroom ?, what storage solutions can I come up with for the pantry, what pop of colour shall I introduce to a white linen/white bedside cabinet bedroom - the exciting stuff!!!

Please give me some ideas for the following (we have a small pot of money set aside for replacing/buying things)

Decent saucepans for induction hob
Storage solutions for cleaning stuff/ non perishable food items. Amazon is great but actually too much choice so I start to switch off!
Timeless patterns for fabric needed to cover rocking chair cushion and scatter cushions to match (spare bedroom)
Statement lampshades
Sofa (we just can’t agree on this)

Neither of us have much vision, but neither do we want to pay an interior designer.

The property is a converted old forge, so, barn like conversion (but not so grand!)
It’s very contemporary.
We don’t want stuff that dates. (I know most things do eventually) I’m thinking along the lines of my one and only Emma Bridgwater mug which has stood the test of time!

Look forward to your ideas. (I do use Pinterest and Instagram)

Sago Thu 04-Aug-22 22:00:33

Hi there, firstly timely patterns for fabric, Liberty fabrics never date, expensive but beautiful, they currently have a sale.
Pro Cook have a really good saucepan set for induction or try Lakeland.
Lakeland and IKEA are excellent for storage solutions.
Sofas are a tricky one, it’s very personal, I would always go for plain sofas and add patterned cushions.
I wish you every happiness in your new home.

SuzieHi Thu 04-Aug-22 22:03:00

Pinterest is great for consolidating ideas & looking for styles/inspiration . Make a few folders of things you like & keep looking at them. Favourites will emerge! Don’t buy furnishings in a rush or on impulse- take your time!

crazyH Thu 04-Aug-22 22:33:50

What an exciting time Flaxseed - no point asking me - when I moved here about 14 years ago, I brought my almost new leather 3 piece suite. Timeless. Dining table, beds etc were new. Daughter helped me furnish the house.
I’m sure you’ll get lots of ideas from those who follow.
Good luck in your new house ? flowers

StarDreamer Thu 04-Aug-22 22:39:29

> Storage solutions for cleaning stuff/ non perishable food items.

I have a number of Sistema plastic boxes. They are high quality and I find them very good.

I got mine delivered with the grocery by Tesco.

www.sistemaplastics.com/

www.sistemaplastics.com/5-5l-square

They are not quite square, one needs to know that so as to avoid frustration in getting the lid on!

www.sistemaplastics.com/7-5l-rectangle

They also do smaller ones.

I use one sold as a sandwich box to store the charger for my mobile phone and its cable safely when not in use.

CanadianGran Thu 04-Aug-22 23:38:55

try Etsy for lampshades, or 'pooky' website.

Katyj Fri 05-Aug-22 06:40:49

Hi. Your new home sounds lovely. I know what you mean about your mind flitting between things it’s becomes exhausting! We moved 3 years ago, I made the big mistake of rushing to buy everything, even though I knew I shouldn’t, but just needed to feel settled as I had a very ill mum at the time.
Now I really don’t like some things I choose and it’s turning out to be expensive. Making a folder sounds a great idea. Have fun and be happy.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 05-Aug-22 06:56:58

Try and be a little bolder in your colour choices than you think! Magnolia is all very well but life’s too short IMHO. We started small with our pink Barbara Cartland memorial downstairs loo but now we have a borderline purple/raspberry hall and landing, and it’s glorious.

V3ra Fri 05-Aug-22 07:27:13

I bought standard lamps and large table lamps from The Range. Ceiling lights I had from Matalan, which surprised me.

We bought our recliner sofas from Furniture Village, plus two swivel chairs and footstools which we had upholstered in the same leather. We sat on every piece in the shop before we decided and are very happy with them all.

It's all contemporary but timeless, I hope!

Any saucepan that attracts a magnet will work on an induction hob. I use a steamer on mine so I only use one ring.

V3ra Fri 05-Aug-22 07:32:50

www.reallyusefulstorageboxes.co.uk/

There's a good variety of storage boxes in this range.

Lucca Fri 05-Aug-22 07:36:21

I have Stellar saucepans.
Sofa ? Maybe in tweedy type fabric with added colourful cushions and your walls could be pale heritage green/pink?

kittylester Fri 05-Aug-22 07:41:21

We bought IKEA pans as an experiment about 10 years ago - they still look like new and work on induction hobs.

kittylester Fri 05-Aug-22 07:43:32

Sorry for got the link.

www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ikea-365-9-piece-cookware-set-stainless-steel-20484332/

karmalady Fri 05-Aug-22 07:48:45

take your time, it sounds as though you are rushing. Pans first, depends on your budget. I chose le creuset tri ply stainless steel. Just a basic 3 pan set to start and later I added to that

Flaxseed Fri 05-Aug-22 07:50:36

Loving all your suggestions!

I am always surprised by Matalan and The Range too.

I love Etsy but go from one thing to another, forget to favourite the shops and then can’t find it again when I go back! I do have a Pinterest folder.

I have some Really Useful Boxes ready to start sorting the garage. It’s full of two lots of everything (we are amalgamating two homes into this one)
They are the best boxes I have ever used.

I am really trying hard to not rush things as I know I will regret that. I think DP is on board with this too. I’m naturally impatient, him less so, so it’s me that needs to learn patience!

I had forgotten about Liberty prints. Timeless and beautiful.

I have not heard of Pooky but will look it up.
We have a ProCook nearby so will pop there

It is a very exciting time and thank you for your good wishes

Flaxseed Fri 05-Aug-22 10:03:38

karmalady My mind is rushing but I am refraining from actually buying much (the only purchase so far is garden furniture and citronella candles for outside dining!)
We actually have loads of saucepans between us - none of which are suitable for induction typically!

Auntieflo Fri 05-Aug-22 10:08:45

Have you looked at Tefal Ingenio pans? They have detachable handles, so can be stacked inside each other, therefore space saving if that is useful.

Flaxseed Fri 05-Aug-22 10:28:50

No auntieflo I haven’t heard of them but will have a look, thank you

bubbly1960 Fri 05-Aug-22 10:59:46

You have so many very exciting and wonderful opportunities to create your home.
However, peace of mind is a way forward, to enable you to grasp these pleasures.
First priority, change addresses. Make a clean and clear system of necessary communication. Perhaps to you, a boring bit. But the create a relaxed space for you to live in, get the foundations of your admin life sorted. Accompanied by a nice cup of tea, perhaps another favourite drink.....and when you've done some sorting.....dream away....a bit at a time.
How lovely for you, all these dreams, don't rush things, it will come together. Congratulations on getting the move out of the way.

lixy Fri 05-Aug-22 13:34:53

You can get discs that will make your pans work by acting as a conduit between pan and hob.

kitchenni.com/converter-discs-for-induction-cooktop/

Pans are expensive so maybe one of these would help while you take your time to find a set to suit you?
Enjoy your new home!

MawtheMerrier Fri 05-Aug-22 17:39:49

One of the things which for me has always made a house into a home, has been our pictures. When we moved into our last house, a period cottage with low ceilings it was a worry that some of our bigger pictures would not look right . Moving on to the present house, with much more wall space to fill, it has been a joy to not only find the right place for pictures we had had since we first married, but to be able to indulge ourselves and acquire some more!
With a forge conversion to furnish, I wonder if you will now be on the look out for new pictures?
Let us know how it all goes please!

Flaxseed Fri 05-Aug-22 19:08:11

bubbly I am assigning DP to paperwork. He’s good at that wink

lixy I didn’t know they were a thing! Thank you

Maw We have no shortage of art/pictures
DP had LOADS! Me less so but still have some favourites.
I don’t want every wall adorned like DP would like (as in his previous house) so we have had to cull a lot! We compromised on the more tasteful stuff smile

Douglas2 Mon 29-Aug-22 23:45:59

Sometimes I wonder about 'tasteful' ... Having recently visited a friend's house where tasteful was not the word to describe it (!) I also thought how 'them' it was - characterful and practical and querky, and it made me think. smile

grandtanteJE65 Mon 05-Sep-22 13:42:17

Take a magnet with you when you go shopping for saucepans and frying pans.

If the base of the pan attracts the magnet, you can use it on an induction hob.

Stainless steel is probably the cheapest bet and long lasting.

Not having seen your home, I cannot possibly advise on storage, but look through Ikea's catalogue.

I would use a plain fabric for cushions and the like, as patterned fabrics tend to date quickly.

Charleygirl5 Mon 05-Sep-22 15:14:55

Amazon has very good deals for Tefal saucepans etc at present. Not all are for induction pans but those that are, are well worth looking at.

I have not looked at eBay-it may be worth it.