Gransnet forums

House and home

In what did you start your married life ?

(82 Posts)
Floradora9 Mon 08-Aug-22 21:50:17

We started off married life in a furnished flat in London over 50 years ago . We had not meant to live in the city long so did not want to put down roots . We had the top half of a house with the owner living below us She was totally vulnerable as we used the same front door and went through her kitchen to put the rubbish out . We had a gas fire in the living room and that was all the heating . The bath water came from a gas appliance which was a devil to heat and I managed to set the curtains alight one day in my efforts to light it . The oven was an old gas one difficult to regulate and I cannot remember if we had a fridge or not . I remember one of my frinds who was a bit older than me telling me that they did not even have an inside toilet in their first flat . Our old lady was very sweet and would leave things on the bottom step for us that she had been given and did not want.
It was made very clear to us when interviewed by her family before we were accepted that we had the right colour of skin and were not foreign .

grannyactivist Tue 09-Aug-22 01:11:32

Married quarters. It was a fairly modern first floor flat with G-plan furniture covered in psychedelic fabric. Sitting/dining room, two bedrooms, bathroom (no shower), and a decent sized kitchen. Nearly three years later it was no joke humping the baby paraphernalia up those stairs.

Teacheranne Tue 09-Aug-22 01:19:33

My husband was able to cash in a pension as he’d been working less than five years - not sure if it was his NI contributions or a company pension, but it was enough for the deposit on a small three bed semi near Manchester. We had no money for furniture apart from a fridge so slept on a mattress on the floor and has second hand furniture.

We only lived there for three years before moving to a larger semi in a nicer area and starting our family.

Grammaretto Tue 09-Aug-22 01:51:50

I moved into the rented flat DH had been sharing with 2 other men. One moved out but the other stayed so we shared our 2 bed top floor flat in a modern block, with a lift. Our first baby was born there but we moved to our own 3 bed house when baby was a year old. Our lodger came with us!
I can't remember the heating but there must have been some. We papered the walls with psychedelic wallpaper and had parties and then the people below us complained.
This was 1969. I was 20 and he was 23.

Llamedos13 Tue 09-Aug-22 03:40:26

In a flat at the top of a three story house on the Lisburn Road in Belfast. It was 1971 and the “ troubles” were in full force.Lying in bed at night in the unheated bedroom listening to gunfire!

MrsKen33 Tue 09-Aug-22 05:25:54

With my parents for six months then we rented a small two bedroomed house. Loved it there . We were so happy playing house .

CShotnik Tue 09-Aug-22 05:51:05

In a 1 bedroom apartment in Denver, C0, age 20. Saved for a townhome by age 22, then a small home by 29, 1 child.Transferred out of state, rented for 5 yrs., child #2. Purchased a home on a lake. Transferred back to Denver, rented for 6 months, bought another home to raise the family in. Downsized at 62, currently in a lovely condo :-)

JackyB Tue 09-Aug-22 07:14:33

We were living in a basement flat in Mannheim together so nothing changed when we got married. I lived literally 5 minutes by bike from where I worked. DH was a teacher, a half-hour drive away. One day he came to pick me up from work in the car as we were going on shopping or something. There was a level crossing between my office and my home. It was a fine day. We had to wait quite a long time at the level crossing and there was a very sudden cloudburst. He might have left the flat no more than 20 minutes, but we went straight back to the flat and it was already flooded!

People don't buy houses in Germany, they wait until they are about 40 and then build one to meet their specifications, if at all. We did buy one quite cheaply in 1987 from a couple who were getting divorced. We have been tweaking it ever since.

I am glad we didn't build it ourselves though, because there is not the attachment and if I was ever left a widow, I would move out to somewhere smaller with no regrets. Germany is full of widows rattling around in huge houses - my immediate neighbour and the lady opposite are good examples.

fiorentina51 Tue 09-Aug-22 07:24:22

Started married life in the bungalow I'm still living in almost 49 years later. My future FIL was a small scale builder and said if we found a plot he would build us a house.
We were his labourers and as our skills improved DH and I did brick laying and roof tiling.
Raised our children here and it's where my DH died back in March.
Currently got my daughter and her baby visiting which is a joy!

Not too sure if I shall stay here. I'm going to give it a year or two and see how I feel.

Grandmadinosaur Tue 09-Aug-22 07:33:44

We bought a 3 bed semi overlooking fields. It was a doer upper. Loved that little house. Was only part way through the renovations when we moved to another part of the country with DH’s job.

Grandma70s that sounds the same as my MIL when she started married life in Liverpool like you say they were happy times.

dragonfly46 Tue 09-Aug-22 07:34:33

Teachers flat near Glasgow. We paid £1 a week rent and £1 a week rates. We had second hand furniture and no fridge, washing machine or hoover. I used to have to get the coal in when I got back from work before we had heat or hot water!

Maggiemaybe Tue 09-Aug-22 07:36:08

We lived together first for a couple of years in Hamburg in a converted outbuilding that had originally been used to keep pigs in. One furnished room with a bed settee, a sink and stove in the corner and a tiny bathroom attached. We’d been there a couple of months when we heard rustling outside in the middle of the night. Pulled back the curtain to find armed police in full gear looking for a previous occupant…

We had to comply with a lot of regulations regarding clearing snow, flushing the toilet, hanging out washing, etc, etc, all of which had strict time restricted rules, some of which we suspected were made up by our elderly neighbours. grin Happy days!

karmalady Tue 09-Aug-22 07:39:28

1971, aged 23, we had saved and saved and managed a deposit on a brand new 3 bed house, detached and at the end of a cul de sac in wigston magna. Every stick of furniture was second hand and we could not afford a lawn mower or carpets. We knew nothing about living within the financial comfort zone. One salary and new baby

We did not stay long, moved due to work, to Buckley, a neat modern 3 bed semi, much better financially. I have moved nine times, six were due to work and the last three downsizing and practicality to be near shops and buses

Jaxjacky Tue 09-Aug-22 07:44:41

A rented flat in an Edwardian terrace on Hayling Island sea front. It was lovely in the summer, apart from travelling to work, cold in the winter, high ceilinged rooms were difficult to heat

Grandmabatty Tue 09-Aug-22 07:51:38

My bedroom at home. We lived with my parents until we were eligible for a house of our own. I had applied for one as an incoming worker at the Hillfoots or Menstrie, Alva, Tillicoultry area and we applied for a council house too. The Scottish Special house came first so off to Menstrie we went. It was a two bedroom terraced house with fields at the end of the garden. It was a lovely community and we had three happy years there until we saved enough for a deposit.

Calendargirl Tue 09-Aug-22 07:59:17

We shared a home with my newly widowed mum for 5 years.

Helped both of us with shared expenses, household tasks, cooking.

But after our two children were born, really wanted our own home.

We went our separate ways amicably, and were always close.

DanniRae Tue 09-Aug-22 08:00:28

Saved for a year to get a deposit and bought the house we are still in now. Moved in in 1970, after our honeymoon, and have raised 3 children here. Like everyone else we have had good and bad times. I was 21 when we married but looked a lot younger - I still smile when I remember answering the door to someone in the early days who asked "Is your mother in?" I have to say that I definitely look my age now!!
Good thread - Thank you Floradora

joannapiano Tue 09-Aug-22 08:05:54

A Police flat in the middle of London, rent free. We were both 21. There was a pub opposite our bedroom window and George Melly and co used to belt out music every weekend while DH was trying to sleep after night duty.

Sparklefizz Tue 09-Aug-22 08:14:38

A tiny rented 1 bedroom flat. The kitchen was just an alcove off the living room, the bathroom had a bath you could only sit in, not stretch out - difficult for my new husband. No heating. We could hear the upstairs tenant's TV through the ceiling.

....but we loved it.

Franbern Tue 09-Aug-22 08:34:33

Back in 1964 we were able to take advantage of the London County council scheme which gave 100% of a property valuation (carried out by local Estate agent), without any questions on income/salaries.
So, we bought this end of terrace Victorian house in East London. No indoor toilet, no central heating, We had grand ideas as to what we intended to do with it. Cost £3,950.00 (If you wanted to purchase that house now (borough has become fashionable and gentrified ) it would cost close on a million pounds!!! Most have now been divided into two flats, each selling for around £65000

We struggled to pay the very high interest mortgage, even with both of us working full time. Rented out the small garage and took in a lodger. ALL second (or more) furniture. Tiny scullery with very old gas cooker. First day there hubbie's foot went through floor boards in hallway and it was discovered the whole ground floor was rotten with wet rot. Even before that (when our two mums took over some food the day after our wedding), the lights fused and it was discovered that there were actually only TWO points in the house - all the rest were running of the lighting circuit. Most of our wedding present money was spent on re-wiring the house and having new floor !!!!

We were the first two people in both our families to purchase our own property and it was a very steep learning curve for us. House had also been built over a very old stream and no foundations. Large, shiny black water beetles came out every night. I detested it -but it was eight years before we were able to move out.

sodapop Tue 09-Aug-22 08:42:00

A rented first floor flat. The owner lived on the ground floor and reduced our rent on the understanding I would help her in and out of the bath. I was a nurse and the landlady had suffered a stroke. I was pregnant and had to wear baggy jumpers to disguise the fact as no children allowed. Fortunately we were able to buy a house before the baby was born. Our house cost £1,500 and the mortgage was £14 a month. We were hard pushed to afford that.

Marmight Tue 09-Aug-22 08:44:36

DH already had a 3 bed semi in Sussex when I moved in, but only for a few months. It had a Baby Burco & a spin drier which I hadn’t a clue how to use! After 4 months, by then in possession of an automatic washing machine (hurrah) we moved into ‘our’ house, a small Georgian doer upper semi on the edge of the Pirbright ranges in Surrey where we had our first baby.

GrannySomerset Tue 09-Aug-22 08:48:07

A rented furnished flat for a year while our new was being built. It had enormous rooms, one coal fire for which the coal had to be carried up 67 steps, and it was the winter of 1962/3! I celebrated my 21st birthday there.

Visgir1 Tue 09-Aug-22 08:51:01

I was lucky.. My new DH had his own house prior to our marriage, but in another area, so we moved into Naval Officers quarters, 3 beds large semi, sperate Dunning room, utility room etc.
Beautiful But the down side when we moved to our own house, no where near as big.

Cabbie21 Tue 09-Aug-22 08:52:25

Upstairs furnished flat in outer London area, with the owners living below. They kept a locked room upstairs for their own use, so there was no privacy, no locks on our doors. £5 pw rent. Cash, no rent book.
Huge lounge, over the front room downstairs which they did not use, but they kept reminding us not to make a noise. No heating, electric fire, tiny kitchen, no washing machine or space for one, so it was handwashing or the laundrette. Nice area, but two buses to my work.

Newquay Tue 09-Aug-22 08:58:38

A rented new tiny flat in Handsworth Wood in Birmingham. We saved and saved. I wanted to go into the Building Society to ask them to put our £2,000 on the counter so I could see it!
We then realised we couldn’t afford to buy a house there-folk we’re camping out on pavements overnight to secure new homes so we moved further north nearer our families and DH could commute. He then had to do that increasingly awful
commute along the M6 til he retired.