Gransnet forums

House and home

In what did you start your married life ?

(82 Posts)
Floradora9 Mon 08-Aug-22 21:50:17

We started off married life in a furnished flat in London over 50 years ago . We had not meant to live in the city long so did not want to put down roots . We had the top half of a house with the owner living below us She was totally vulnerable as we used the same front door and went through her kitchen to put the rubbish out . We had a gas fire in the living room and that was all the heating . The bath water came from a gas appliance which was a devil to heat and I managed to set the curtains alight one day in my efforts to light it . The oven was an old gas one difficult to regulate and I cannot remember if we had a fridge or not . I remember one of my frinds who was a bit older than me telling me that they did not even have an inside toilet in their first flat . Our old lady was very sweet and would leave things on the bottom step for us that she had been given and did not want.
It was made very clear to us when interviewed by her family before we were accepted that we had the right colour of skin and were not foreign .

Callistemon21 Tue 09-Aug-22 22:13:04

In what did you start your married life ?

I thought at first it was a question about going-away outfits ?

A fine wool suit - why did I pick a wool suit, it was high summer!

gangy5 Wed 10-Aug-22 07:13:42

Wonderful !! merlotgran I can't think of a more scenic place than Tennyson Down. I would be in heaven and it couldn't be a better place to start married life and a family. Does anybody, like me, get 'drunk' on lovely views?
A pub/restaurant was my first home in the late 60's. My OM and I did a 3 month training course with Trust House Hotels and were then placed in one of their smallest properties that needed restaurant experience.

Shoshana Wed 10-Aug-22 07:22:03

My first home with my ex-husband was a flat on the 16th floor of a grim tower block in east London. The lift was forever breaking down! We were there for a couple of years before buying our own home. It's now a very trendy area, and the block is long since demolished.

harrigran Wed 10-Aug-22 09:03:19

We married in 1967 and our first home was a two bedroom cottage. My father and sister lent us the deposit and we were able to get a mortgage with an interest rate of 15%.
An open coal fire in the living room and a coke boiler in the kitchen. Only the bed and cooker were new, everything else was donated by family.
We didn't have a fridge until the week before first baby was born and same baby was a year old before I got a twin tub washing machine.
DH had to do a second job at night to pay the mortgage when I stopped work.

nadateturbe Wed 10-Aug-22 09:15:17

In my sisters spare bedroom which was accessed through hers, and then a horrible prefab, for six months before being allocated a new 3 bedroomed house with gas central heating, 1972. It was ten years before we managed to buy our first home, no deposit needed.

Tizliz Wed 10-Aug-22 10:33:36

My parents in law, then my ex-brother in law, then my sister then back to parents in law, then a council house (in lovely Milton Keynes - but at least there was not an 8 year waiting list)