Gransnet forums

House and home

Where does the dirt lie in and around your home?

(177 Posts)
Baggytrazzas Tue 09-Aug-22 10:40:39

I thought my house and garden were quite clean and tidy, always a few corners needing attention but the overall standards seemed fine to me. I've just finished watering some plant pots on the back doorstep using the hose, and absentmindedly ran the hose over the plastic tufted door mat.................and was truly shocked by the amount of dirt that came out of it. It didn't even look dirty. I usually turn it over and bash it against the step every week or so but haven't washed it before now as it looked quite clean. I've hosed it for 20 minutes full blast and there is still dirt washing out but I've had to leave it for now.

Has anyone else had a shock to discover something they thought was quite clean but in fact was filthy?

happycatholicwife1 Thu 11-Aug-22 22:15:24

Wow! GN never fails to amaze in one way or another. I enjoy many of the thread topics and a lot of the comments. I have to say, though, there seem to be a lot of Grans (whom one would think would be supportive of each other, in most cases) who flat out can't wait to criticize, with a good dose of virtue signaling thrown in for extra measure. I cannot get over how sassy some of y'all are if you don't agree with someone.

lixy Thu 11-Aug-22 21:39:13

Have to agree about windows and the sunshine.
Hours of work with vinegar and newspaper (Mum's recommendation) have simply resulted in aching shoulders, so now I just draw the curtains and get on with my life!

Baggytrazzas Thu 11-Aug-22 21:21:54

RVK1CR -thanks for this, will give it a go. There is still loads in there.

Grandmama - I have no idea why my cutlery drawer is so dirty!

Baggytrazzas Thu 11-Aug-22 21:20:08

Camelotclub - I would if I could, honest!

Doodledog Thu 11-Aug-22 21:12:06

Why do people do that? It wouldn't cross my mind to act like someone's cleaning supervisor. Don't they visit people to see them, rather than to inspect their houses for dust?

Your 'friend' takes the biscuit, lixy. Still, sad though it is that her address got lost in your move, sometimes every cloud has a silver lining, eh?

Baggytrazzas Thu 11-Aug-22 21:05:59

Lixy, my Mum used to run her finger down my bannister then check for dust. There was ALWAYS dust. There IS, still , always dust!

SachaMac Thu 11-Aug-22 21:03:38

Everywhere looks great until I put on my glasses. I don’t very often wear them in the house. Also, noticed today my windows look filthy with the sun shining on them!! I have a window cleaner for the outside but I really hate cleaning them on the inside. Another job on my list for when it cools down.

lixy Thu 11-Aug-22 20:49:01

Baggytrazzas This had the makings of a really entertaining thread and I'm sorry it got derailed. I hope it gets back on track.

lixy Thu 11-Aug-22 20:47:17

Dirt used to skulk anywhere an old school friend decided to check to see if I'd cleaned recently!
I once caught her running her finger across the door lintel of her bedroom when she came to stay and she would accidently 'drop' something to have a good look at the skirting boards.

No matter how I tried she would always find something somewhere and then we'd have the 'concerned' discussion about what a shame it was that I couldn't afford a cleaner.

We moved recently and some people's change of address notifications have, sadly, gone astray in the post. grin

Doodledog Thu 11-Aug-22 20:46:07

Baggytrazzas

Doodledog

This thread is deeply unpleasant, and as ever I have no idea what is going on, although there is clearly a history. If anyone would like to satisfy my curiosity, my inbox is open to messages smile

Doodledog, no history at all from my perspective. I've only very recently joined GN, and the whole thread is right here in all its glory.

I started school when I was4 years old and was almost 2 years younger and much smaller than the rest right through until I left secondary school. I didnt put up with any attempts at bullying then, and Im not doing it now. .

Good for you grin. Gransnet is not usually like this, but I think there is something in the water just now (no pun intended).

Baggytrazzas Thu 11-Aug-22 20:31:12

Nicolenet oops, mis spelt your name.

Baggytrazzas Thu 11-Aug-22 20:30:29

Nicolete would you care to discuss the actual initial question? If not please move on to a different thread.

Baggytrazzas Thu 11-Aug-22 20:28:41

Nicolenet

You. Hosed. A. Mat. For. Twenty. Minutes?!? Such a waste of water Old Girl.

Aw, kindness personified. And can tell peoples ages from just reading their posts on GN - awesome indeed.

Where did you go to learn manners?

Baggytrazzas Thu 11-Aug-22 20:16:01

Doodledog

This thread is deeply unpleasant, and as ever I have no idea what is going on, although there is clearly a history. If anyone would like to satisfy my curiosity, my inbox is open to messages smile

Doodledog, no history at all from my perspective. I've only very recently joined GN, and the whole thread is right here in all its glory.

I started school when I was4 years old and was almost 2 years younger and much smaller than the rest right through until I left secondary school. I didnt put up with any attempts at bullying then, and Im not doing it now. .

Yammy Thu 11-Aug-22 19:46:37

sylla12

Before anyone likes to have a go at Baggytrazzas.. For hosing a mat, just remember the Water companies sold off by the Tories , are leaking water by the gallon ! Just saying !

I think that Gordon Brown's comment about the power companies could be applied here. Any water company not mending broken pipes or putting effluent into rivers or the sea should be Nationalised. Then the government could monitor and control them and they might get on and get them mended.
Excellent point sylla12.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Aug-22 19:28:14

I shall ask the cleaners where the dirt collects, as life is far too short to worry about it ?????

Doodledog Thu 11-Aug-22 19:12:19

She lurks behind me at times too, AreWeThereYet.

AreWeThereYet Thu 11-Aug-22 19:09:12

My perfect vision showed up every mark that my damaged eyes had not seen

I have that reaction just looking in the mirror with my glasses on grin Some old woman keeps popping up

Grandmama Thu 11-Aug-22 19:01:01

Why is the cutlery drawer so dirty?

Why is there so much fluff on the bathroom floor? We don't have a shower, DH doesn't have a bath every week (mobility problems, getting in and out of bath), I bath once a week but have a good strip wash most days and yet when I sweep the bathroom floor every few days there's an incredible amoung of fluff. Our towels aren't exactly new a fluffy.

RVK1CR Thu 11-Aug-22 18:51:49

Baggytrazzos. My door mat gets dirty too, I found a large tray (think it was originally from a fish monger) and I leave it outside to collect rainwater for plants. I put the mat in with the back uppermost and agitate it several times, tip the water on the lawn, put a few more inches of water in several times and eventually the water runs clean. Drawing a knitting needle through speeds things up. My mat is plastic, a bit like that false lawn you can get now

OmaforMaya Thu 11-Aug-22 18:44:53

karmalady

Full blast water hose? Really, when we are on verge of a water shortage

Read the post about yours. ?

Doodledog Thu 11-Aug-22 18:20:20

Nicolenet Thu 11-Aug-22 18:05:30

You. Hosed. A. Mat. For. Twenty. Minutes?!? Such a waste of water Old Girl.

Sunshineandsoda Thu 11-Aug-22 17:43:23

Nanna58

Oh dear , was thinking of dipping my toe ( waste of water!!!) back into Gransnet , but unfortunately the holier than thou judgementals still abound- shall go away again for a while ....

I don’t blame you Nanna58. I think I’ve only commented a couple of times. It seems you would need quite a thick skin to participate.

elleks Thu 11-Aug-22 16:34:05

AreWeThereYet

Open bookcases. We have a few of them and they each get cleaned about once a year. I don't know why but I'm always shocked at the amount of dust and cobwebs on and behind the books. One of the bookcases is a favourite hangout for some big black spiders that move like Usain Bolt and scare the living daylights out of me.

You could try this www.easylife.co.uk/product/spider-stayaway-pack-of-3/6580