Gransnet forums

House and home

Where does the dirt lie in and around your home?

(177 Posts)
Baggytrazzas Tue 09-Aug-22 10:40:39

I thought my house and garden were quite clean and tidy, always a few corners needing attention but the overall standards seemed fine to me. I've just finished watering some plant pots on the back doorstep using the hose, and absentmindedly ran the hose over the plastic tufted door mat.................and was truly shocked by the amount of dirt that came out of it. It didn't even look dirty. I usually turn it over and bash it against the step every week or so but haven't washed it before now as it looked quite clean. I've hosed it for 20 minutes full blast and there is still dirt washing out but I've had to leave it for now.

Has anyone else had a shock to discover something they thought was quite clean but in fact was filthy?

Baggytrazzas Mon 15-Aug-22 13:00:23

Yes, I tried my best to avoid dislodging anything else that might trapped higher up. lol.

Callistemon21 Mon 15-Aug-22 12:51:12

Baggytrazzas

I have just had a good look at the carpet underneath a radiator that I poke the nozzle of the hoover under occasionally. I can literally roll up the fluff that has collected there, in a strip.

Behind and in between a double radiator! A roll of fluff appeared on the floor underneath the radiator yesterday.
It was most satisfying to pick it up ?

Baggytrazzas Mon 15-Aug-22 12:44:04

I have just had a good look at the carpet underneath a radiator that I poke the nozzle of the hoover under occasionally. I can literally roll up the fluff that has collected there, in a strip.

Kate1949 Sat 13-Aug-22 14:27:39

grin

Wheniwasyourage Sat 13-Aug-22 14:15:32

Just one crisp, Kate1949? You're not trying!

Kate1949 Sat 13-Aug-22 14:08:14

Oh and a crisp under an armchair shock

Kate1949 Sat 13-Aug-22 14:07:05

We have some friends coming over next week whose house is immaculate. They spend their days cleaning, decorating and gardening.
I thought I'd better make an effort. The amount of cobwebs I've found in our living room is embarrassing blush Housework is not our thing.

Witzend Sat 13-Aug-22 12:54:24

Yammy

sylla12

Before anyone likes to have a go at Baggytrazzas.. For hosing a mat, just remember the Water companies sold off by the Tories , are leaking water by the gallon ! Just saying !

I think that Gordon Brown's comment about the power companies could be applied here. Any water company not mending broken pipes or putting effluent into rivers or the sea should be Nationalised. Then the government could monitor and control them and they might get on and get them mended.
Excellent point sylla12.

When water was nationalised, there was massive under-investment in often ancient and crumbling infrastructure.
I know many people don’t want to hear this, but it’s a fact, from sources that had no axe to grind, one way or the other.

This doesn’t mean that IMO the privatised water companies are perfect, very far from it. But it’s no use pretending that nationalisation invariably meant perfect efficiency. It didn’t.

Nationalised British Rail was another case of Far From Perfect, as many of us will remember.

As so often, governments of whatever colour Doing Things On The Cheap.

melp1 Sat 13-Aug-22 12:40:19

Moved last year and have 2 drawer divans quite shocked to see how much dust was above the drawers on the underside of the base had to give them a good hovering. (go on check yours)
The house we moved into looked fairly clean when we viewed but on moving in found the oven. gas hob, venetian blinds and carpets were not, took me ages to get them all clean.

annodomini Fri 12-Aug-22 23:28:14

I'm not admitting to any visible dirt in my house, but still thanking my lucky stars that when I move I won't have to discover what is behind or under my washing machine as the buyer has asked to keep it. {grin]

Baggytrazzas Fri 12-Aug-22 22:56:35

Most of us seem to be mucky in some respect then! How does it happen? Goodness knows what get found in dirty houses lol.

Shizam Fri 12-Aug-22 22:52:48

Was just about to post re a choc biscuit found by washing machine engineer, but the dead mouse definitely trumps it. ?

Baggytrazzas Fri 12-Aug-22 11:15:42

Yammy, LOL

Yammy Fri 12-Aug-22 11:02:55

Baggytrazzas

Lixy, my Mum used to run her finger down my bannister then check for dust. There was ALWAYS dust. There IS, still , always dust!

My MIL used to stand on tiptoe and go along the doors and the lintels. She managed to lose something under the bed and inspected the steps.
Our lovely neighbour a chap who had been a Diplomat once saw me with the red cardinal he shouted"Kit inspection from the other side?"
We got her back, once when staying the bedroom mirror was thick with dust and DH wrote"Love you, mum".
There was never a kit inspection again.grin

Caleo Fri 12-Aug-22 10:54:11

Wasting water is bad not only because of the water itself but because of the energy used to purify drinking water from public reservoirs, and to maintain the reservoirs themselves, no matter if they be West Highland upland lochs, or dammed rivers in the English Midlands.

I predict a large growth industry in domestic plumbing and appliances that use grey water.

nanna8 Fri 12-Aug-22 10:37:09

Under the fridge isn’t too good but you only see it when you get a new one. Little creatures and little crumbs must run under it in the night!

Shinamae Fri 12-Aug-22 10:34:36

Callistemon21

Shinamae I was just going to dust and saw your post
???

?

Callistemon21 Fri 12-Aug-22 10:33:35

Shinamae I was just going to dust and saw your post
???

Callistemon21 Fri 12-Aug-22 10:32:08

Shinamae ?

Sueloulea1 Fri 12-Aug-22 10:31:38

Baggytrazzas I totally agree with your comments. There are so many opinionated people on Gransnet. I like to read the threads but it does put me off as to what comments I would get if I ever posted.

Shinamae Fri 12-Aug-22 10:25:11

This…

nanasandra46 Fri 12-Aug-22 06:34:32

Oh forgoodness sake, dont you lot have anything nice to say about anything !
The lady posed a question, and got trolled !
I could not care about how clean or dirty my house is, there are far more important things to worry about.
Get a life !!!

Snowy4 Thu 11-Aug-22 23:17:22

It doesn't cost anything to be kind to each other. Shame on the nasty ladies who rip people to pieces.

Shinamae Thu 11-Aug-22 22:37:38

I have to say I loathe and detest House work…

BigBertha1 Thu 11-Aug-22 22:28:39

I think that under the washing machine and tumble dryer in the utility it will be quite dusty but nothing anywhere else I hope...We both do a lot of cleaning. Door mats in kitchen and utility are washable so they are done regularly..