Gransnet forums

House and home

How are you managing energy direct debits?

(83 Posts)
GrannySeaside51 Tue 27-Sep-22 10:44:21

I am all electric with Octopus who I am happy with and manage my account online. I understand it is not for those who don’t like the internet for financial matters or don’t have access to the internet.

I recently increased my monthly dd to £100pm and about £200 in credit.

I received an email from Octopus advising they were reducing my monthly payment to £33. This is passing on the £400 discount of the Government Energy Bill Support Scheme. From October, I will receive a monthly discount on my account of £66 (rising to £67 from December to March). I have the option to use the scheme to build up a buffer, and can adjust my payment back up.

I am wondering whether to increase it back to £100 or just by a small amount and if so how much? What would you do?

Daisymae Tue 04-Oct-22 17:12:56

Octopus have put our DD up and down over the last couple of months. I have no real idea why. Were not in credit, which is fine with me. Will be interesting to see what happens next month.

Pittcity Tue 04-Oct-22 16:07:13

We are away for the week. Just checked the Ovo app. No gas is being used but about 80p a day on electricity. The fridge/freezer is on as is the WiFi so that Alexa can monitor our security camera and turn a couple of lights on and off. I'm shocked how much it's costing.
We received an interim bill today for up to the end of September.

Kim19 Mon 03-Oct-22 19:12:05

I was thinking of changing to pay as you go system but watched Martin Lewis this morning who said that that system cost 9% more than the DD I am currently signed up to. I'm having another think. Not unhappy with EDF but always on the lookout for something that suits me better.

DaisyAnne Mon 03-Oct-22 19:01:56

Whitewavemark2

Well I’m with Shell. My repayments are staying the same £224, and they’ve simply increased my credit to £800+ ?. I am not delirious about it.

By "increased my credit" do you mean they have added the energy support to the amount you are in credit WWM or upped your "credit" level as on a credit card? I wouldn't like that! They will start adding the Energy support from this month.

They do all seem to be doing it differently.

Luckygirl3 Mon 03-Oct-22 18:56:26

I am leaving mine as it is in spite of the supplier suggesting I increase it. I am in credit and will be even more so when I get my £400, so there is no reason to increase it.

Razzamatazz Mon 03-Oct-22 18:49:45

Just had my first bill from Octopus for dual fuel, £72.00. Going to be a pricey winter.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Sep-22 14:21:42

Well I’m with Shell. My repayments are staying the same £224, and they’ve simply increased my credit to £800+ ?. I am not delirious about it.

Bucks Fri 30-Sep-22 14:15:06

Remember if a company goes bust you will become a creditor. Better to have the overpayment in your bank account and stick to the suggested dd. The company will contact you if it is insufficient.

Catterygirl Thu 29-Sep-22 23:38:37

We are pay as you go. Always know whether we can switch the heating on. Word is that it’s much more expensive but we no longer get a bill in March 10 years ago for £900. One third of that. However in the current situation we keep turning off everything as much as we can.

Hope you all stay warm.

Oldbutstilluseful Thu 29-Sep-22 23:04:17

I switched from BG to Octopus in July. Best thing I did. A previous poster has offered to use their £50 switch benefit. I suggest you pm them.

MerylStreep Thu 29-Sep-22 22:32:37

nexus63

i am with sse and keep getting asked to have a direct debit, i have a pre-payment meter so i can only use what i can afford and that suits me better, i would just stress myself out if i was getting a bill.

Nexus
Please read this article. Scroll down to which is more expensive etc It will save you money.

metro.co.uk/2022/08/26/is-it-cheaper-to-pay-for-energy-by-prepayment-meter-or-direct-debit-17248854/

Shinamae Thu 29-Sep-22 22:20:59

No brainer…. Octopus..?

Pam1969 Thu 29-Sep-22 18:53:55

Can we switch like we used to with ease? I am thinking Octopus or Ovo sound better best...any strong views?

Jane12356 Thu 29-Sep-22 18:47:50

I am with Scottish power and at first i got an e mail saying my payments would only increase by £2 a week ! oh joy i thought ! and then got another e mail the next day saying actually the increase will be £25 a week !!! and despite trying to ring them and getting nowhere i trawled through their website to find their e mail address and finally messaged them to ask why there were two conflicting e mails but no reply as per usual. So i would be very sceptical of any messages you may be getting and i would advise taking meter readings, even if you have a Smart meter, before October 1st or i think we may get conned !

nexus63 Thu 29-Sep-22 18:38:08

i am with sse and keep getting asked to have a direct debit, i have a pre-payment meter so i can only use what i can afford and that suits me better, i would just stress myself out if i was getting a bill.

Bijou Thu 29-Sep-22 17:41:19

I am with EON next. Am all electric, Economy 10. Storage heaters. For two months they took no DD then last month £230. I am in £250 in credit I phoned and asked if I could go on a cheaper tariff but they said Iwas on the cheapest already!
I am not really worried because I have to keep warm but feel sorry for those who are struggling.
Everything was so much easier when the utilities were nationalised and there were no shareholders.

kissngate Thu 29-Sep-22 16:58:46

jocork- that's a good idea I will suggest this to friend in her 80s who I help with online bills. Her previous supplier went bust and she got transferred to British Gas at the time she was £300 in credit. Once transfer happened the £300 credit turned into a £79 debit. She hated being in debt so I paid a credit to her account. BG said some previous bills had been estimated although she eventually ended up with 150 in credit. I arranged for a smart meter to be installed. Credit has built up again so I tried to reduce her DD. It would only reduce by £4 pm which is scandalous. I will see if BG will do a variable DD and refund her credit. I can't understand why anyone would want to fund Energy Companies bank balances.

A shout out for E.on as when I asked to increase my DD they refused saying they had already taken into account the increase from 1 October when they reduced our DD to £13 and said no need to overpay unless we added more electrical appliances.

twiglet77 Thu 29-Sep-22 16:57:53

I refuse to have a smart meter but I take a reading on the last day of each month and submit it using the app, then record it on a spreadsheet so I can monitor my usage and check it is as I expected.

twiglet77 Thu 29-Sep-22 16:56:00

Instead of letting a significant credit build up, surely you can put the ‘extra’ monthly amount into a savings account and at least get a bit of interest on it? Better in your coffers than in theirs (as long as you’re affording the correct payment).

Sawsage2 Thu 29-Sep-22 16:41:38

I'm with British Gas for elec and gas. They email me to read the meter every 3 months,(I won't have a smart meter) they tell me how much it is and I pay them via bank. Easy.

jocork Thu 29-Sep-22 16:33:39

I pay for what I use by variable direct debit. The disadvantage is that I pay more in the winter but the advantage is that I don't build up credit or debt. It suits me this way. I've used this system for a number of years. I used to submit a meter reading every month but last time I wanted to get the best deal I had to have a smart meter fitted so now I get accurate bills without having to do anything.

Stillstanding Thu 29-Sep-22 15:22:41

I think the same way as Riverwalk and others. I used to pay a regular monthly amount, but the amount got silly high and I felt British Gas were using me as some sort of loan bank without paying interest. I now pay for my consumption by the month only, albeit by direct debit. It makes my consumption much clearer and I can see, for example, that in June of this year my actual gas consumption cost me only 26p more than the service charge. This way I save up for my bills and I get the interest. Anyone can cancel their direct debit at any time and I think it would be such a good way of protesting.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 29-Sep-22 15:20:54

I’m also with Octopus and have had the same email saying my monthly DD will reduce to £23 due to government discount. I’m currently £171 in credit and have told them to keep my payments at the previous level if £90.
I’d rather do that than get used to a tiny payment then have to increase it in six months.

knspol Thu 29-Sep-22 14:56:04

I'm also on EDF, had an email telling me that based on usage I needed to up my DD by £25 per month which seemed reasonable. The next day I had another email telling me my DD would be going up by £100 per month! Go figure.

bear1 Thu 29-Sep-22 13:50:33

i am with Eon was paying £39 a month they put it up to £63 a month from 6th October but i have been paying a bit more in so over a £100 in credit Eon are now saying i will be paying £0 from 1st October for 6 months !! i am going to keep paying the £39 a month so my credit hopefully builds up to when the government money stops