Gransnet forums

House and home

Stainless Steel Steamer

(51 Posts)
OxfordGran Sun 30-Oct-22 17:07:00

I’m considering buying a steamer, to use on my ceramic hob,
primarily for fish, vegetables, dim sum etc.
Has anyone used one of these successfully?
Is it a pan used only for Christmas pudding and occasionally veg?
Pros and cons welcomed, thank you.
I do not have cupboard space now to store little used kitchenware, so I would need to justify its use, if not the cost (£14).

Also, does anyone use a proper pasta pan, same questions apply.

Doodle Sun 30-Oct-22 19:25:15

Mollygo I have the same steamer as you. Love it. Efficient and easy to clean.
I had a teal plastic steamer which I used a lot but I replaced it with a stainless steel one which never worked so well and required a lot of cleaning. Then I bought a job steamer which I really like and use when we have visitors but with just the two of us the plastic one in the microwave works best.

Rosie51 Sun 30-Oct-22 19:25:54

Callistemon21

I have an electric steamer too 3 tier, so useful if I'm cooking for a number of people.

I had one of those, couldn't get to grips with it at all, I do much better with the stainless steel setup. Gave it away to a friend who loved it.

Callistemon21 Sun 30-Oct-22 19:29:27

NotSpaghetti
Ours isn't big enough for our Christmas puddings either... unfortunately

I do mine in the slow cooker.

Squiffy Sun 30-Oct-22 19:58:37

I have had a two tier steamer for years, which is used all the time on our gas cooker for cooking veg, fish, chicken.

Having seen Nigella use a pasta pan, I thought I’d indulge in one. That, too, has been used regularly. I find it easier to lift the pasta and strainer than to struggle tipping a saucepan full of water through a sieve or colander.

V3ra Sun 30-Oct-22 20:14:24

I've used a steamer for years.
When I cooked for five of us I would have two on the go at the same time. One is plenty big enough for two or three people.
I boil potatoes in the water in the bottom and have two baskets for vegetables. Sometimes I need to swap these over halfway through cooking to even things up. I use the water in the bottom to make gravy.

growstuff Sun 30-Oct-22 20:21:14

I wouldn't be without a steamer. I have a cheap three-tier one, which I use on a gas hob. I don't eat potatoes, so I sometimes pop two eggs in the water in the bottom (I eat quite a lot of hard boiled eggs, so I pop them in the fridge when they've cooled down).

Welshwife Sun 30-Oct-22 20:30:32

Cooking the rice:- I rinse the rice under the tap before starting to cook - I have the lid on. After about 10 mins I fork the rice over and then pour water over it and stir round again - I’m only cooking enough for two. My only way of testing if it is cooked enough is by tasting a couple of grains so I do this after about 15 mins and then at intervals if necessary. Using this method I have nice dry separated grains.

25Avalon Sun 30-Oct-22 22:23:06

That’s a good tip for boiling eggs growstuff

Cs783 Sun 30-Oct-22 22:30:23

I use a metal collapsible steamer basket and it takes up very little space. But it discolours over time so on the theme of not buying bulky / additional kitchenware I am drawn to using my microwave more - no extra ‘stuff’ needed. One day though when I can justify it I’ll be looking at a multifunctional cook pot that steams and pressure cooks and slow cooks ….

OxfordGran Mon 31-Oct-22 10:56:04

Well,that purchase fell flat : after reading your comments I ordered the steamer from Everylittlehelps, only to receive a notification at 6.15am to say it is unavailable/out of stock with
no clue as to when it would be in stock. Now I really want it !

The steamer featured above from ANOther store is also out of stock.

MissAdventure Mon 31-Oct-22 11:15:04

Well, we've heard of sleepless in Seattle.

Now we have steamless in Oxford.

Grandmabatty Mon 31-Oct-22 11:19:00

I've just received a steamer as part of my Tesco order. It is to replace my previous steamer which unfortunately got damaged. I live alone and find it invaluable. Like others, I boil potatoes in the bottom part and steam veg in the top two. It's economical as I'm only using one ring for all. Less cleaning up as well.

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Oct-22 11:36:05

MissAdventure

😂😂😂

Unless you want that particular one, OxfordGran, there are a number of outlets and manufacturers.

I just looked at mine and it's a Dome, but bought years ago from TK Maxx or Home Sense.

I did have one of those collapsible baskets, it worked well until it collapsed completely!

OxfordGran Mon 31-Oct-22 11:51:12

MissAdventure

so funny

yes, now I have the bit between my teeth I will explore other stores, thank you for suggestions.

I have a collapsible basket I use often, had one for years, this is the 3/4th.
I try to patch them up when they lose fins, then another part expires, a bit like Trigger’s Broom.

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Oct-22 11:58:17

Dome don't seem to be available any more!

Norah Mon 31-Oct-22 11:58:52

We have a gas hob. Use 2 different size steamers.

One very large for pasta cooking/draining. Easy and practical.

One normal saucepan on bottom, steamer fitting on top.

Steaming veg is fast, my usual method.

Greyduster Mon 31-Oct-22 12:02:17

I have a stainless steel steamer that fits on variously sized pans. I use it for steaming green veg but haven’t used it for anything else. Steamed puddings and the like go in my pressure cooker. DD has one of those jobbies that unfold like a flower opening and fit on any size of pan. It’s odd, but I was only thinking this morning that before GS was born, and I was required to cater for him, I never steamed vegetables.

OxfordGran Mon 31-Oct-22 12:02:19

Grandmabatty, this is where mine was supposedly coming from today. My supplier store is Aylesbury Extra.
Is it fairly robust? I thought it was a good price then wonder if perhaps the base is thin and baskets ill fitting etc.
The idea of cooking a meal on one ring is appealing, also to give my hard working (Tesco) slow cooker a break.
I don’t have a microwave.

I recall my mother keeping my father’s dinner warm over a pan with water simmering, a large pan lid on top, or reheating this way.

Grandmabatty Mon 31-Oct-22 12:27:18

Mine looks very sturdy. OxfordGran. I haven't put it to the test yet! The previous one lasted years.

grannypiper Mon 31-Oct-22 12:32:35

I use my Stainless steel 2 tier steamer nearly every day. Great for steaming fish and really quick.

MaizieD Tue 01-Nov-22 08:10:42

My current set came from M & S, I think (it replaced one that MrMaizie managed to burn the bottom out of..). I must have had it for 20 years or so and it's used just about daily. Good quality SS goes on for ever. Just make sure it is a decent weight.

glammanana Tue 01-Nov-22 08:27:55

I have used a plastic 2 tiered steamer for years for all my veg/fish and use it 3/4 times a week the veg is always firm and not at all soggy.
On the bottom tier I put potatoes and on the top a selection of veg I would be lost without it,so easy to clean and store away.
After looking at the SS versions I may be tempted to buy one to use on my induction hob.

Esspee Tue 01-Nov-22 08:37:42

Nobody has mentioned reheating. If I am going to serve a meal such as curry or chilli with rice I frequently cook it the day before as the meat and veg taste so much better after a night in the fridge. I reheat the rice in the steamer. I just pour boiling water over it and allow a gentle simmer, stirring from time to time. That way the rice doesn’t overcook.

Patsy70 Tue 01-Nov-22 09:04:25

I’ve had my Judge two tier stainless steel steamer for years and it is in virtually daily use.

Elegran Tue 01-Nov-22 09:53:54

I too have one of those stainless steel pasta pans whose insert doesn't reach the water, unless you fill it with so much water it is too heavy to lift. It also have a smaller insert that goes on top of the bigger one, so I have used it very occasionally when I am steaming stuff for a lot of people. It seemed a good idea at the time, but spends most of its time on the top shelf of the cupboard.