I am in slight shock. I do work my money out with care. Following the Mr Micawber policy.......
Living in a flat where I pay a maintenance charge, I had got into the habit, since I have been here, of NOT allocating money for general repairs. Must do so in future.
The Loo in my en-suite has had a very small trickle for some time now - tried the idea of ignoring it - but it did not go away and was starting to get slightly worse, so called in a plumber. Not as an emergency, just a normal job,.
He came yesterday, was here for nearly two hours, did the job having taken the cistern apart i n order to put in new part to replace the broken part. I had to pay a call-out charge tot he company when I arranged this, assuming that would be taken off the final bill - but it was not. Did get myj 5% pensioners discount.
However, it has cost me over two hundred quid for that repair. Looking back to when I had a similar one carried out at the house some twelve years ago, for over a hundred pounds, suppose this is correct price - but still a shock to myj (financial) system.
It was all very proper and I was given the cost, before telling the plumber tio proceed with the job, and all appropriate paper work afterwards.
Must say, I had forgotten how very expensive these sort of jobs around out homes can be these days. Think I will need to start to make a monthly allocation for such repairs in the future.
We are surrounded by sea so why is fish so expensive?
Among all the scientific subjects, chemistry is the worst
Mum's 90th birthday bash coming up
Does how a safety device looks put your parent off wearing it?


This year he fixed a slipped roof tile and sealed the gutter joint it had knocked out of alignment and only charged us £40 for the lot.