Gransnet forums

House and home

Thinking of installing a smart meter

(78 Posts)
Opal Mon 28-Nov-22 19:48:38

I've just received an email from my energy supplier, inviting me to install a smart meter. I've resisted until now, mainly due to the numerous reports of people having problems with the meters once they're installed. However, in view of the current economic climate and in an effort to try to save energy, I'm wondering if now would be a good time to bite the bullet. Do any of you have any views or experience in having a smart meter installed? Thanks in advance.

Eloethan Sat 03-Dec-22 17:17:41

We don't want one. Obviously power companies are pushing this - and the latest news, that customers can reduce their energy costs by confining their major usages to specific times, is only available to people with smart meters - no doubt an effective inducement for some.

There have been reports of faulty (and occasionally dangerous) installation by poorly qualified installers, failures in operation, problems with changing supplier, etc etc. But our main reason for rejecting such enticements is, as biglouis says, why hand over so much power to a private company.

I read the meters each month and send the readings via the internet to Octopus. It's not difficult and it keeps me in control.

biglouis Sat 03-Dec-22 12:01:22

For the company: no need to have meter readings, and if bills are not paid the customer can be remotely switched to a prepayment meter without need for the bailiff and if the need arises electricity can be switched off altogether

I would never allow a private company to have that much potential power over me. These people think they are god all effing mighty.

Ive seen threads on MN where a power company employee had posted and said they would never have one.

volver Sat 03-Dec-22 09:50:31

A lot less than we will do by granting new licences for finding oil and gas, and by opening new coal mines.

It needs to be assessed, definitely, but the alternatives are continue making climate change worse or give up cars completely.

This is good.
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001f7y1/the-secret-genius-of-modern-life-series-1-4-electric-car

icanhandthemback Sat 03-Dec-22 09:42:41

That's reassuring to hear, Volver but I am concerned about how much damage to the earth we will do disposing of the current batteries.

volver Sat 03-Dec-22 09:19:41

icanhandthemback

karmalady

cost of an ev is bound up in the initial vehicle price and there is plenty of pollution from manufacture. I speak as someone who has two family members with teslas. It is a head in the sand to think that these vehicles pay their way either in purchase or pollution

We are also likely to face a problem with the disposal of the EV batteries. It is quite worrying.

I know this thread is about smart meters, but I do want to respond to this. Apologies in advance if I send the thread off course.

The environmental impact of the manufacture of electric cars is more than compensated for by the improved performance during the car's lifetime. The balance will swing even more in favour of electric cars as the electricity we use to power them becomes greener in years to come.

There is an issue at the moment with how much of the electric system can be recycled, but there is research ongoing into different types of batteries and the best way of disposing of them.

But even today, taken over its whole life, an EV is more environmentally friendly that a vehicle running on a combustion engine.

PerkyPiggy Sat 03-Dec-22 09:04:27

I've been using Smart Meters since they first became available. I have always found them incredibly useful as I like to track my spending. Our current one is the most up-to-date model and we really like it.

Maggiemaybe Sat 03-Dec-22 08:48:52

I was a resister for years and got even grumpier about “the thing” when I caved in, it took 3 hours to instal then didn’t start working for a month. It’s in a corner of the cellar of our Victorian terrace and apparently we’re the last house along our street to get enough of a signal for a smart meter.

But I’ll admit it’s been an asset. I can check the Shell account online and see the monthly, weekly, daily readings of our gas and electricity spend and how it compares to previous periods and yes, it has made me think more about what we use. In fact, I get a bit competitive with myself. grin And even though I always said that submitting meter readings was no big deal, it’s now another job I just don’t have to think about.

ParlorGames Sat 03-Dec-22 08:03:57

We are with EDF for dual fuel and they campaigned relentlessly for us to have a smart meter. We finally gave in and arranged for the technician to come and connect everything up. He took one look at our original meter and consumer unit and declared that there wasn't enough room and the consumer unit had to be moved......at our own expense! there is nowhere else for it to go without significant structural changes and we are not prepared to go through all that. Therefore, no smart meter in our home and actually, we don't need a fancy gadget to tell us to turn off unnecessary lights or do they washing at times of low energy demand. We use a slow cooker, a pressure cooker and have an air fryer, ironing is kept to a minimum and all other appliances are low cost energy rated.

jocork Sat 03-Dec-22 07:43:15

I resisted getting one but was forced to a while back to get the best deal. Now I don't have to send readings every month so save a lot of hassle.
Last week I was invited to join a scheme where we are encouraged to reduce out electricity usage a peak times and be rewarded for achieving savings. You can't be in the scheme without a smart meter as they need to be able to measure your usage over particular short periods. Hopefully we'll be able to earn some rewards, though I doubt we can cut overall usage much as we are pretty frugal already! Here's to putting the washing on in the middle of the night!

karmalady Fri 02-Dec-22 18:28:51

It is a heck of a future problem re EV batteries and so bad for the poor people who have to dig the rare metals out in the first place

icanhandthemback Fri 02-Dec-22 18:25:58

karmalady

cost of an ev is bound up in the initial vehicle price and there is plenty of pollution from manufacture. I speak as someone who has two family members with teslas. It is a head in the sand to think that these vehicles pay their way either in purchase or pollution

We are also likely to face a problem with the disposal of the EV batteries. It is quite worrying.

Hetty58 Fri 02-Dec-22 16:11:57

The production of solar panels is polluting as well, yet still, we're making some changes and progress, at least. I really like the idea of a little freedom from the utility companies - as I truly resent paying into their massive profits.

karmalady Fri 02-Dec-22 15:52:12

Esspee Fri 02-Dec-22 14:22:10

orly The big incentive to us to buy an electric vehicle was that we would no longer be causing pollution by burning petrol or diesel. It was understood by most people that it would only be a matter of time before road tax had to be paid. Road tax will still be considerably cheaper for an electric car.
In the 10 months we have had our EV we have only paid for electricity the first month while learning how to charge it. For the last 9 months we have used free chargers and topped up from our solar panels. I no longer have to visit petrol stations which I avoided because of the fumes and if we have to use our domestic electricity in the future it will be considerably cheaper than petrol.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 02-Dec-22 13:55:29

Well, Sparklefizz I followed the instructions and while it has made some difference it still doesn't display as it used to, I'm sorry to say. Not entirely unexpected.

LinkyPinky Fri 02-Dec-22 06:05:24

Smart meters are made in China. They are not only a cybersecurity risk in a ‘Big Brother is listening’ way, but a national security risk as well. The hard sell by energy companies is also pretty much like harassment. They want to control you. Resist.
www.energylivenews.com/2022/10/19/do-chinese-smart-meters-pose-threat-to-britains-grid/

nipsmum Thu 01-Dec-22 17:30:48

Smart meters were installed automatically when my utilities were last upgraded.They are both in the boxes outside. I can read them if I need to but as I am careful with gas and electricity I don't look at them unless I have to. My supplier reads them automatically. It's I less thing for me to worry about.

cc Thu 01-Dec-22 17:27:54

We have one, it will become increasingly useful as they're currently testing offering cheaper power at certain times and apparently you need one for this. At the moment Octopus let us know certain times when, if we use less power than usual, we get a rebate. Only saved 30p so far! However we expect that they will eventually offer hours when the power costs less.
We had cheap power at night in our last house and used to run dishwasher and washing machine on timers to make the most of reductions.

diygran Thu 01-Dec-22 17:13:02

For ages we happily resisted smart meter from EON.next. Recently after family had one installed, we decided to go ahead. Then the problems began, trying to get engineers appointment online. Always said no appointments available, try again. Then EON.next began asking us to book a slot, which we did. But guy didn't turn up. We waited in and were told he was in area but wouldn't have time to come to us! The company apologised and credited us with £30 for the hassle!
Next time the meter was fitted in no time as we have only electric and oil heating, no gas.
The screen we have is very dinky but is useful to watch on daily basis. We definitely think twice before using fan oven or tumble drier.

DiddyNan Thu 01-Dec-22 16:50:28

Massive problems with EDF. My smart meter was still recording usage even when the electricity was switched off at the mains. Had no luck getting this sorted. Phone number for EDF is 0333 009 7000 but you might be on hold a while.

karmalady Thu 01-Dec-22 16:29:53

SueDoku, I have an eye on my graphs at octopus, it displays relative use day by day

karmalady Thu 01-Dec-22 16:28:00

The only way to find out if you are attached to street lights or to next door is by switching all your power off at the mains. It can be done for 30-60 minutes.

Mine goes up overnight but fridge/freezer/air cleaners and I know that ch is kicking in at times. It is up steadily day by day right now, relative to being so cold outside

icanhandthemback Thu 01-Dec-22 16:06:40

I had a smart meter put in for my tenants. It has never read the gas because, apparently, the signal is too far away! It remained steadfastly uncommunicative when we changed providers and although we had a connection for the electricity, when a reading was needed on the first of October so we weren't going to be paying the new prices for electricity we had at the previous lower prices, strangely the company didn't get the reading that day nor for the 2 weeks afterwards. Call me cynical but I can't help thinking that it is not working in our favour having a Smart Meter.

Callistemon21 Thu 01-Dec-22 15:57:41

I dont sleep well and often get out of bed and go downstairs to discover that we have already racked up a considerable charge since midnight

Scotnickgirl I wonder if you're attached to the streetlights like us?

Honestly, I am going to try to find out because it happens every night! There is a streetlight in our garden.

SueDoku Thu 01-Dec-22 15:28:34

midgey

A smart meter can be really handy for you and the energy company! For you: you can see how much you are using and how much it has cost you in a day and there’s no need to read your meter ( unless it stops working!)
For the company: no need to have meter readings, and if bills are not paid the customer can be remotely switched to a prepayment meter without need for the bailiff and if the need arises electricity can be switched off altogether!
I wouldn’t want to put you off but be aware!!
I do have one.

This is why I'm refusing to have one - well, that and my friend who had one installed, the gas display never worked - and after 6 months pestering the company, they sent him a bill for £16,000...!!! He lives alone.
He's been fighting them for nearly 2 years now and it's taken over his life... 😥