Gransnet forums

House and home

30 bags in 30 days decluttering method

(639 Posts)
Guesswhat Mon 23-Jan-23 22:14:03

Would anybody like to join me in this?

I’ve read about a method where you chuck out/donate one bag of clutter every day for 30 days. As an inveterate hoarder who wants to get on top of things at last, I’m going to go for it! (Only a carrier bag, mind. Not a big refuse sack.)

Tomorrow I’ll start with a bag of books to take to the charity shop. The day after, maybe some clothes. By recording my progress on here, I’m hoping to keep up the good work.

Wish me luck!

Doodledog Sun 08-Oct-23 10:52:02

I don't think there is a Trash Nothing here. There is a Freegle site, and I get rid of a lot on a FB group that is really for recycling and upcycling, but has increasingly become more of a 'pass it on' sort of site. People get rid of everything from prams to egg boxes.

The only problem is that people will arrange to collect things and not turn up, so you can end up with the items you want rid of cluttering your house for ages after they've been sorted. I had two sideboards that I wanted to give away last year, as we were remodelling the room they'd been in and the builder was due. I'd emptied and sorted all the accumulated 'stuff', cleaned them up and they were sitting in the hall for a couple of weeks whilst a succession of people agreed to collect them then let me down.

I think a lot of people just agree to take everything they can, then try to find transport (or maybe a buyer) afterwards, and just back out if they can't. I need to have things out of the house as soon as I've sorted them. Obviously two sideboards were very much in the way, but even a pile of bags full of donations puts me off my stride - I like to see the space I've made by my efforts, as it encourages me to keep on clearing out. I usually check with Mr Dog that he is free to take things to the tip or the charity shop at the end of a 'spree', and the bags go the same day. That stops me from reconsidering any 'rash' decisions, too grin.

Chestnut Sun 08-Oct-23 00:07:15

AreWeThereYet I always put a photo and good description and people will take anything! One woman even took a bag of old hair rollers, another a bag of furniture castors, things I really never thought anyone would want. They even take stuff that's not working (for parts). I'm glad to hear you got rid of your rubbish, well done.

AreWeThereYet Sat 07-Oct-23 20:25:10

Chestnut I had never heard of trash nothing. I had a look and I am now rid of a 50 year old tennis racquet that I used in school (wanted by a tennis club that is organizing a 'fun' day) and one of Mr A's golf clubs (all very old but wanted by a learner). I use freecycle quite a lot but usually only for things I think might be of use to someone. Some of the things we need to get rid of are a tad out of date to say the least, or just not working, so it never occurred to me that someone might want them!

MayBee70 Sat 07-Oct-23 15:56:08

Doodledog

I'm sorry - it's my fault that there are two on the go, although I'm not sure why the second one (whichever that is) was started in the first place. It is ironic that we clutterbugs have a surplus thread though grin.

grin!

Doodledog Sat 07-Oct-23 15:27:19

I'm sorry - it's my fault that there are two on the go, although I'm not sure why the second one (whichever that is) was started in the first place. It is ironic that we clutterbugs have a surplus thread though grin.

Norah Sat 07-Oct-23 14:10:45

We needed several sets of crockery, purchased for 2 recent garden wedding parties, re-homed. One of our daughters took pictures of remainders we'd not dropped in Charity shops - all sold quickly.

Just an idea.

MayBee70 Sat 07-Oct-23 13:33:32

Oh no. Do we need to declutter the cluttering threads! I’ve got two tv de cluttering programmes on the go, too: Clean it, fix it and Sort your life out. I watch them instead of actually decluttering….( I think I’m beyond help…)

Callistemon21 Sat 07-Oct-23 10:05:05

I sent some brand new clothes to the charity shop, a linen jacket, two tops from White Stuff, trousers etc, bought in sales but then came lockdown; I didn't wear them and decided they just didn't suit me anyway but it was too late to take them back.
So a month or so ago off they went.

DD have bought brand new clothes from the charity shops.

Doodledog Sat 07-Oct-23 09:26:09

We have two decluttering threads on the go now grin. That’s probably my fault for resurrecting one of them - sorry.

But please - no shaming on either of them? We all know we have too much ‘stuff’ or we wouldn’t be decluttering. The threads have been so supportive, but today both have posts which are critical of people for having things we don’t want or need. It doesn’t matter if they are new - in fact all the better for the person buying them from the charity shop if they are. It’s worrying that things are ‘too good to throw away’ that causes clutter in the first place.

I got rid of a couple of things that were still boxed and brand new in my last batch. I felt guilty as they were presents bought with love, but they were never going to be used, so it was far better to let someone else have them - either to use as presents or to give them pleasure. I can make myself feel guilty enough without any help.

welbeck Sat 07-Oct-23 00:03:06

i imagine lots of things that are unwanted gifts end up in the charity shops, hence brand new, as well as shops off-loading old stock sometimes.

Hetty58 Fri 06-Oct-23 23:19:35

Funny thing - but when I last bought towels from the charity shop (for the muddy dog, I keep some in the porch and some by the back door) they were actually brand new and much better than ones I was still using.

£4 for a whole set - and the lady said sometimes people decide against the colour - and 'Simply can't be bothered to return them' - incredible!

Hetty58 Fri 06-Oct-23 23:06:34

I've just found out (at last) that my discomfort with giving clothes away can be helped a lot, using a 'half way house' method.

I felt really bad about putting 'good' jumpers and coats into a charity bag - despite having not worn them for a few years. That feeling must come from my 'waste not, want not' ingrained habits. Still, I did manage to put them in a spare laundry bag.

That bag came downstairs to the hall, then (a miracle) it was easy peasy to transfer the contents to the charity bag, without dithering, feeling guilty - and putting things back in the wardrobe. Perhaps, being at a distance from the wardrobes helped?

I will use this method in future, as my only 'crime' was to hang on to one favourite coat - downgraded to be worn in the garden when it's chilly. It can live in the understairs cupboard. I'm pleased with myself, as I'm usually awful with 'collecting' clothes.

Doodledog Fri 06-Oct-23 22:03:38

I have had a much busier week than expected, so after my sterling start I ground to a halt. I plan to crack on tomorrow though, and hope to fill and get rid of another ten bags.

MayBee if you are doing likewise, we can cheer one another on.

MayBee70 Fri 06-Oct-23 21:48:52

Been away for four weeks. Returned home to far more chaos than I’d realised and am just looking at it not knowing where to start. Actually just want to curl up in a ball and go to sleep!

Chestnut Wed 04-Oct-23 00:10:50

Just a reminder that if it's not good enough for the charity shop then just put a photo and description on Trash Nothing for your local area. I have given away loads over the years. Someone will most likely be round within 48 hours to take it off your hands.
www.trashnothing.com

Callistemon21 Tue 03-Oct-23 23:13:18

Doodledog

I have curtains to go in the charity bag, but I don't think they take sheets and duvet covers - charity shops are a lot more picky than they used to be. I think the textile part of the tip now sorts the items and rehomes things that can be used, though. My husband took the bags, and he said that there was no separate one for rags.

Some Dunelm stores take them.

Our local charity shop takes good clean sheets and duvet covers but not duvets.

fancythat Tue 03-Oct-23 21:17:44

I enjoy doing it.

Perhaps I am unusual, but my reason for some builf up was because..well actually I am not quite sure why.
Found better things to do I think.

Now, well 4 years ago, I decided there wasnt better things to do.
I should finish end of next year.
And I have found it enjoyable.
I have done it at my own pace.

Doodledog Tue 03-Oct-23 20:21:25

It is hard, Esmay. I hate doing it, but it's a good feeling when it's done.

I made no progress today. I had to go out this morning, and a friend came round this afternoon. Tomorrow, however, is another day!

Esmay Tue 03-Oct-23 19:19:00

You read my thoughts .
I plan to chuck out as much as possible :
One friend has a lot of my dress patterns another is getting my baking books .

Tomorrow , the charity shop is receiving clothes and books .
I find it really hard .
I am a self confessed hoarder !

fancythat Tue 03-Oct-23 18:04:13

Callistemon21

^and I am really looking forward to having a 'sorted' house when the children come home for Christmas^.

I'm hoping mine will have a sort out of their stuff they have left at home!

My youngest did that recently.
Now it is only me who has to decide what to keep from the sort out.
I will keep a few bits.

Then there is the stuff in the loft.
But I need to get it ready for them first, before they decide whether to transfer it all to their houses.

Doodledog Tue 03-Oct-23 18:02:14

I have curtains to go in the charity bag, but I don't think they take sheets and duvet covers - charity shops are a lot more picky than they used to be. I think the textile part of the tip now sorts the items and rehomes things that can be used, though. My husband took the bags, and he said that there was no separate one for rags.

AreWeThereYet Tue 03-Oct-23 17:27:32

If anyone has good sheets/duvets/curtains please try the charity shops before dumping them - I often buy them. Although I don't know if charity shops take sheets. I've made curtains and duvet covers into blinds, and last year used sheets and duvet covers to make costumes for the nativity play at the local school. One of the wise men was quite upset at the idea of wearing a sheet but once it was cut down, sewn up and bejewelled he looked extremely regal 😁 Fortunately he didn't recognise the big gold belt as a curtain tie-back.

Doodledog Tue 03-Oct-23 17:01:03

Sorry - that should be kcac grin

Doodledog Tue 03-Oct-23 17:00:21

I've considered that too, kkac, but the same applies, really. Now that there are just the two of us, I would probably not go there to knit when I can do it on the sofa in front of the TV. Similarly with working and other things I would have done in a study when the children were around - laptops mean that now I have the whole house to do them in, so I don't know if I would want to go and sit in a small upstairs room. There would be fewer distractions, I suppose, but I don't know.

I will get the room decorated first, then decide whether to put the bed back or to look at office furniture.

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 03-Oct-23 14:12:00

Phew Doddledogs on a roll, well done you!
What about the small room becoming a craft/sewing room?
( with a comfy armchair of course- bliss)