Gransnet forums

House and home

The men load the dishwasher

(103 Posts)
AussieGran59 Tue 31-Jan-23 05:57:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fleurpepper Tue 31-Jan-23 10:35:12

Do you do a wash with special products every so often to clear gunk and grease? I did it yesterday. I also add spray vinegar and leave to work for a couple of minutes before putting on, every few days.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 31-Jan-23 10:37:51

I do our dishwasher because I think I make better use of the space than DH. My DF used to be in charge of their dishwasher for the same reason. I also do the washing and hanging out as I enjoy it, and DH does the cooking because he enjoys that. Horses for courses, I think. smile

Sparklefizz Tue 31-Jan-23 11:57:30

we've had many a discussion about the most efficient way of loading the dishwasher, it can be as divisive a subject as Brexit it's very dodgy ground as you found out Sparklefizz

Yes, there are definite benefits to living alone and doing as I damn well please over absolutely everything grin

Georgesgran Tue 31-Jan-23 14:10:24

DH hated the dishwasher and never went anywhere near it. He maintained that washing up by hand was far easier and quicker although he never tackled that either!
As for hanging out trousers - I hang them from the bottom of the legs, so upside down. That way, the waistband, which is the thickest part catches the drying breeze.

Norah Tue 31-Jan-23 14:19:52

We cook together. I clear up -knowing better how to load DW, unload DW, re-shelve contents of DW. He scours worktops and sinks.

grandMattie Tue 31-Jan-23 14:25:18

Since we had a dishwasher late DH took charge - he was in charge of actual washing up (I cooked) so I left him to it. I also did it wrong...
He took over vacuuming too as I didn't to it "correctly"! Again, one fewer jobs.

Mollygo Tue 31-Jan-23 14:34:57

I promised myself as a teenager who ALWAYS loaded the spindryer incorrectly, hung out the washing incorrectly etc, that when I grew up, if someone offered to do jobs for me, I’d let them. So I do.
DH prefers his way of loading the dishwasher so he does it and I don’t complain. The only time he’s happy for me to ‘help’ is when we need extra space to add the last few dishes or mugs. Evidently I’m better at that.
Hanging clothes out? I’m a random pegger, no matching peg colours to garments or pairing peg colours. If my sister is visiting and wants to show me how to do it properly, do I complain?
Removing dog hair and hoovering the stairs- he’s better at that, although evidently DGS does that job well enough and he gets paid for doing it.
On the other hand, the only flower arranger in our house . . . is me!

Debbi58 Tue 31-Jan-23 14:35:01

Sounds like our house, hubbie and me are in our late fifties. We've been married for 12 years, in all that time I've never been allowed near the dishwasher ( fine by me ) I do love to tease him though. After dinner I go into the kitchen and rattle the dishwasher shelf, he always comes rushing out 😂😂

Yammy Tue 31-Jan-23 15:49:55

I load the dishwasher DH unloads it.
He helps a lot more since he retired can't complain really.
I think we all hang washing out the way we were taught and I know my mum did it differently than many others. Trousers were hung from the waist band so the peg marks would not show, the sheets were thrown over the line my aunt hung hers from the edges,pillow cases from the open end and shirts from their tails.Someone said the other week about making two mountains out of your table cloth and I remembered her doing that.
My father who had been in the navy never minded her doing his washing but she was not allowed to iron he said she did tramlines on trousers. DH once complained about his shirt collars and I refused to do them for weeks.He gave in eventually he had only learded to do collars and fronts that showed under his white coats.
I think the whole family have learned never complain or you do your own.It applies to me to at times to.smile

AreWeThereYet Tue 31-Jan-23 15:59:35

Mr A tells me I do it wrong too 😄 He very often does it and as far as I am concerned he can do it all the time if he wants. I often 'forget' to unload it too.

Mr A once criticised the way I ironed his shirts so I never ironed another one. Fair play to him, he never complained about ironing them, just got on and did it.

Kate1949 Tue 31-Jan-23 16:03:20

No such problem here. We haven't got one.

crazyH Tue 31-Jan-23 16:09:26

No man here to do it …….

PinkCosmos Tue 31-Jan-23 16:12:26

I had a dishwasher but rarely used it when there were just two of us. By the time you have rinsed the plates and stacked them you could have washed them up by hand.

I also don't like the thought of putting a few items in every day until the dishwasher is full. All those dirty plates hanging around for days until they get washed.

I peg trousers by the waistband so that the legs don't have peg marks. I peg T shirts and tops under the arms for the same reason. I like to use the same colour of pegs for each individual garment, which means rummaging in my peg bag quite a bit for the right colour. It would be easier to buy pegs of all the same colour grin

Smudgie Tue 31-Jan-23 16:14:47

My husband never wanted a dishwasher, we had a huge row about it as all my friends had one bar me. (this was 20years ago). Divorce was mentioned grin and I got my way. He wouldn't go anywhere near it for several months so I just loaded my stuff in it and left him to wash the rest by hand. Many years later this has morphed into him telling me that he loads it the best way and my way is crap. It isn't of course because he loads it from front to back so you end up catching your sleeve on stuff at the front of the top rack. He likes emptying it but piles it all up on the worktops for me to put away as " he can't be sure where everything goes".
It's safe to say that it is the biggest source of angst in this house and I just rearrange his loading when he is not looking.

MawtheMerrier Tue 31-Jan-23 16:16:04

Is this thread for real in the 21st century?

Pink jobs and blue jobs?

I wonder what the reaction would have been if it had been started on Mumsnet. I know my DDS and SILs have no such demarcation in their lives.
On my own now I do it all (or not, if I so choose) but Rosie does her bit with the dishwasher and the “Puppy pre-wash cycle”.
Seriously though - like the “My wife refuses to cook” thread, I would have thought we and even the most unreconstructed men in our lives might have moved on.

Joseanne Tue 31-Jan-23 16:19:45

I have been without a dishwasher for over 2 weeks now, (new kitchen going in), and we both wash up individually as we go along in our utility room/temporary kitchen.
Unlike when I always load and unload the machine because I do it neater

Joseanne Tue 31-Jan-23 16:21:40

Oh yes, we have always had doggy pre washers. One cut his tongue once, so it's always knives and sharp objects facing down now!

Wheniwasyourage Tue 31-Jan-23 16:23:36

I don't think there are pink and blue jobs, Maw - sometimes the dishwasher seems to be pink and in other houses it's blue. Same for cooking. The nice thing these days is that nobody bats an eyelid at either way round of doing things. Anyway, in our house the dishwasher is mine and I much prefer blue to pink, so what colour does that make it?

Jaxjacky Tue 31-Jan-23 16:26:21

Just a bit of fun Maw!
In this house MrJ normally loads it as he usually clears up after dinner, no demarcation. Whoever notices it’s done empties it and puts stuff away. We have a ‘half size’ one, works fine with just the two of us PinkCosmos it’s run every 5 days on average, cheaper than washing by hand too.

AreWeThereYet Tue 31-Jan-23 16:33:23

No pink and blue jobs in our house - I own and use all the power tools and make Mr A beg if he wants to use them.

I don't personally know any household where there are still pink and blue jobs. I know men who won't do the washing up but will do other jobs but I also know women who won't put a shelf up.

MawtheMerrier Tue 31-Jan-23 16:33:49

It’s an easy correlation then,
dishwashers = machines.
Men like machines.
Why do washing machines not exercise the same fascination?
Paw was always much better than me at ironing his office shirts and therefore he did it - I’m not stupid!

paddyann54 Tue 31-Jan-23 16:44:39

No pink or blue jobs here we do the things we enjoy doing or do well.With that in mind the kitchen is all mine .OH can be disorganised and I like to know exactly where everything is .
To be honest I'm like that with all housework ,he is spectacularly good at decorating ,building things ,cutting down trees etc car stuff and cutting grass in a stripey pattern.Each to their own?We call it teamwork.

Smudgie Tue 31-Jan-23 16:48:44

I seem to have missed out here. My husband wouldn't know how to operate our washing machine ! I've tried showing him lots of times in case I go under a bus but he just says he could do it if he had to !! I have my own set of tools, hammer, WD40 etc as he can never find anything in his toolbox which has to be seen to be believed. I have also done very basic plumbing repairs and am responsible for programming the tv, video recorder and sorting the laptop and printer and doing the tax returns. He does most of the gardening although I sow seeds and grow all the veg. In fact when I look at what I do I've concluded he got a bloody bargain when he married me over 50 years ago. !

Norah Tue 31-Jan-23 16:52:24

AreWeThereYet I don't personally know any household where there are still pink and blue jobs. I know men who won't do the washing up but will do other jobs but I also know women who won't put a shelf up.

Agreed.

We both cook quite well, I do the clean up, he does the table and worktops - fair. He hoovers dog hair, daily - fair. The cleaners clean weekly, if they had to hoover a week of dog hair they could do anything else at all. smile

M0nica Tue 31-Jan-23 22:36:04

There is nothing DH will not do, but we divide on capabilities. I am dyspraxic, cack handed is my second name. DH is a skilled and capable craftsman and the reason we have the house we do is because we have done up a series of 'projects'. DH s designer and skilled craftsman, true to my Irish blood, I am the navvy.

On the other hand DH's work took him all over the world, not cities with lovely hotels, but shipyards and fabrication yards at the back of beyond, mostly before telephones and the internet.

I fote was managment and organising. ran the company business, I was house keeper, chief accountant, bought and sold houses, dealt with cars organised builders etc etc. We played to our strengths.

In retirement nothing has changed - DH will be 80 this year and he is still working. Teams meeting to morrow morning. He worls from home, no longer spends hours on the quayside in the freezing cold. He still does all the DIY and I run everything else. We are the perfect team.