Gransnet forums

House and home

Paint colour

(53 Posts)
hulahoop Tue 07-Feb-23 11:08:49

Hi we are having stairs ,hallway and landing painted, is all woodwork is white ,we can't decide on colour of walls.We are not changing carpet which is a terracotta colour with a lighter fleck. Family have suggested pale olive ,pale grey ,mushroom any other suggestions welcome

Juicywords Wed 08-Feb-23 00:39:57

We used Benjamin Moore paint in our hall as it’s extremely hard wearing. And the colour we chose was Tapestry Beige, which is a dark linen colour with a hint of green. It’s now my favourite wall colour of any room in our house.

NotSpaghetti Wed 08-Feb-23 00:44:45

These copper colours work well together if you don't want too dark.

NotSpaghetti Wed 08-Feb-23 00:47:05

Here's some I'd personally go with - but they may be too bold for some houses. Teal or pine or very dark blue alongside mustard 😍

NotSpaghetti Wed 08-Feb-23 00:48:50

Here's another striking one

NotSpaghetti Wed 08-Feb-23 00:54:05

Here are some shades approaching grey.
I love the archway shade and the blue with it and have put terracotta next to it and it's an interesting and not so obvious option. I think they would work with terracotta

NotSpaghetti Wed 08-Feb-23 00:55:25

Last 3

nanna8 Wed 08-Feb-23 03:54:02

I think grey is a cold colour though it is popular here. I go for more off whites and creams. I used to love a colour called milky maize but I don’t think they have it anymore. Our house is very cottagy,though and if I had a modern house I would probably go for one of the whites. Unbelievable how many different ‘whites’ there are.

Warbler Wed 08-Feb-23 04:30:59

It all depends on the light doesn't it. Also any colour preferences you may have. I would also ask....how do you want to feel when you walk into that room because that would help with my choice. Colours vary so much so do try and get a test pot and paint it on a piece of A4 and put it on all the walls you would paint it on. The light changes it from wall to wall.

FannyCornforth Wed 08-Feb-23 09:22:56

Grey will look awful with terracotta. You can’t just randomly put colours with each other.

NotSpaghetti Wed 08-Feb-23 09:59:58

I think you are wrong fanny.
You have to look at which grey and what shade of terracotta.

www.interiornotes.com/terracotta-the-trendy-color-of-2018/

www.lexington.com/blog/color-trend-gray-and-terracotta

Esmay Wed 08-Feb-23 10:06:25

Colour suggestions :
Pure white - possibly a bit stark .
Soft or deep cream - a safe option .
A shade of grey - a cool colour with a warm coloured carpet .
A subtle green - a possibility .

Best of all - a very light terracotta to match the existing carpet .

FannyCornforth Wed 08-Feb-23 10:09:23

🤔 I’m still not convinced!
That’s why it would be helpful to have a photo
That photo looks nice, but the terracotta is just an accent, and it’s not that orangey

FannyCornforth Wed 08-Feb-23 10:14:58

I’m coming around to it a bit more now NS, but I’m personally not that keen and it looks a bit dated as both colours were very fashionable recently.

(As my mom used to say - never have anything that’s fashionable, as it won’t go out of fashion)

Kalu Wed 08-Feb-23 10:25:46

Soft grey and terracotta look fabulous together. It’s only my taste but grey is the only option I would choose.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 08-Feb-23 10:26:45

My house is an off-white F&B colour pretty much throughout. Goes with everything, leaving the colour to soft furnishings and pictures. Doesn’t date and neutral colours are favoured by buyers.

PinkCosmos Wed 08-Feb-23 10:29:50

travelnan

I have just had my hall, stairs and landing painted in Dulux Timeless, its a very pale cream. I am very pleased with it and would go well with your carpet.

I use Dulux Timeless on most of the walls in our house.

It's a creamy white. Warm but not too creamy. Much better than brilliant white.

I don't think that pink would go with terracotta. A goldy colour would look nice if you wanted colour.

Personally, I don't like dark walls or grey anything. Grey has been done to death over the last few years. I think it is going out of fashion now.

Kalu Wed 08-Feb-23 10:31:07

I never follow any fashion Fanny. Whatever colours or shades of colours jump out at me is how my choice is made.

Kalu Wed 08-Feb-23 10:38:36

Dulux Almond White is a lovely warm white which I have used on woodwork throughout the house and one room as opposed to a stark white.

Witzend Wed 08-Feb-23 10:51:18

I’ve used Jasmine White (for a 1950s flat) and Timeless in an Edwardian ditto - both Dulux ‘off-whites’ that worked very well on walls with a pure white ceiling.

hulahoop Wed 08-Feb-23 11:02:31

Thank you for all your suggestions you are very helpful gransnet at its best. We are down to a pale green or a stone . I tried again to send a screen shot but no luck,I will have to have I pad looked at it maybe I am doing it wrong🤔😅

NotSpaghetti Wed 08-Feb-23 11:25:36

If going pale green I'd look to the mossy/olive side I think.
Personally I'd go to a big paint shop such as Brewers and collect up all the colour cards even the ones you think are too expensive.

Little Green is my favourite for swatches as not only are they real paint but they fold off the card (so can be made to stick-out) and they have so many to choose from.
If you find one you like, shops like Brewers will mix up the colour (or very close) in another brand for you.

I have just had a really lovely off-beat colour mixed up for me and although it was very slightly different (tiny bit cooler) in a sample, it was so close as to not be able to see unless you shone a worklight on them next to each other.

Good luck!

Doodledog Wed 08-Feb-23 11:40:42

I have Little Green's Pea Green above the dado in my hall. The name makes it sound awful, (and I wouldn't eat peas that were that colour!), but I think it looks good. We have a forest green colour underneath, and they contrast well.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 08-Feb-23 16:14:47

We use Sanderson’s Marshmallow Snow everywhere in the house and amazingly it looks different in every room. It appears expensive but covers so well that you save on time, effort and the cost of extra coats.

HeavenLeigh Wed 08-Feb-23 16:20:45

Agree with old bat F&B bone or cream

hulahoop Fri 10-Feb-23 13:44:12

I can't believe how many of you have posted with colour suggestions we have got some stick on samples in different dates and feel they are too dark so we are still looking thanks again ladies.