Gransnet forums

House and home

Bath Out, Shower In

(120 Posts)
williamnorm Mon 20-Feb-23 10:22:22

Im starting to find it hard to get in and out the bath, and finding myself using the bath more as a shower now, but im worried about slipping over. I have a bath mat down to help with grip but im not keen.

Ive been thinking of getting the bath removed and a walkin shower installed instead. Had a couple of plumbers around and one has suggested that with a remodel to the bathroom he could get a bath and a 900 x 900 shower in the space. This will cost more than just taking the bath out and putting a large walkin shower in its place, but ive heard removing the bath can reduce the value of my home.

is this right?

Im in 2 minds, do I spend more now to protect the value of my home (which ill eventually leave to my family) or do i just get a bigger shower for less money and not worry about the value? I sometimes do like a soak in a bath, but im not sure how long ill be able to continue to use it, and would a bigger a walkin be better for the future should I or my husband need care.

Any Advise would be helpful.

Fleurpepper Mon 20-Feb-23 10:27:41

90cm x 90cm shower is not very big at all, no space for a seat. Take a tape measure and mark it out.

LOUISA1523 Mon 20-Feb-23 10:27:49

I would look after your own needs right now....a 900 x 900 is not big and then you got to negotiate opening and closing the shower door....I would go for a big walk in shower....no doors to navigate

Fleurpepper Mon 20-Feb-23 10:28:13

Ask your family if you are going to leave it to them. What do they think?

LOUISA1523 Mon 20-Feb-23 10:30:08

Ps...a house is more saleable with both a bath and shower....but won't necessarily affect the value....but I certainly wouldn't be considering this if I wasxstruggling to get in a bath

Fleurpepper Mon 20-Feb-23 10:35:10

90cm is less than 3 ' - so unless you are really skinny. But even then ... not suitable as walk in.

SunshineSally Mon 20-Feb-23 10:35:51

Go for a walk in shower - big enough for a seat/stool. You need to look after your own needs first. My in-laws did this and it was the best thing they did. Yes they do miss a bath - especially MIL but as they’re in their 90s they found it was too unsafe.
As for devaluing the value of the house - I really would not worry about that as it’s such a small thing in the scheme of things. Chances are whoever owns your home after you’ve gone will change things anyway. The most important thing in my opinion is that you are both safe and able to enjoy independent living as long as you can.

Caleo Mon 20-Feb-23 10:38:28

In a bungalow or flat which is otherwise popular with elderly persons a shower adds more to a property's value than a bath.

Baths are generally considered to be extra luxuries whereas showers are essentials.

Caleo Mon 20-Feb-23 10:40:57

If you can afford it why not go for a wet room? These are easy to clean and use. I understand in UK they cost around £7,000.

BlueBelle Mon 20-Feb-23 10:43:59

I wouldn’t worry too much when I sold my mum and dads house which had a lovely walk-in shower plus bath I was persuaded by the estate agent that I d never sell it with and avocado bath toilet and basin so I redid the bathroom to a white suite only plus shower onlyto hear from the neighbour that it was all taken out as soon as the buyers moved in
I really regret that…. I d get what’s right for you not what a future buyer may like

Grandyma Mon 20-Feb-23 10:50:39

We had our bath taken out and a large walk-in shower put in its place. It is absolutely the best thing we have ever done. We both prefer showers to baths, our bathroom needed updating so, looking to the future we thought it the most sensible option. As far as affecting the value of our house, I don’t think it will make a big difference & our children are more concerned with what’s right for us anyway.

Mogsmaw Mon 20-Feb-23 11:08:07

We took out our bath last year and put in a walk-in shower.
We, well I, agonised about the affect on the house. Neither of us had used the bath as a bath for decades only climbing in to use the shower.
Eventually we thought we should have a home that suited our needs now and was future-proof. This walk-in shower fits where the bath was and is virtually flat to the floor, so no trip hazard and the flat glass screen is so much easier to keep clean that sliding doors. We can fit a stool in the future if we need to.

It was truly the best thing we could have done.

I broke my shoulder at Christmas and DH was a diamond helping me shower. ( he could stand at the end and scrub me down while not getting wet, think of zookeepers with elephants!)
The idea of clambering into a bath while “winged” filled me with horror and with my arthritis only getting worse this was definitely an exercise in future-proofing .
When people buy houses they plan on changing bathrooms and kitchens anyway and there is definitely room for a bath. ultimately, if you don’t intend to move, the resale value is “someone else’s problem” it’s your home so it should suit you?
Incidentally the bathroom is tiny that’s why I can’t get farther back to take a better picture.
While we were remodelling we put in a higher toilet, what’s known as “comfort height” apparently. So if (when) I eventually need my hips done we won’t need one of those frames they give you. How future-proof is that.

Shelflife Mon 20-Feb-23 11:20:06

Definitely go for a large walk in shower. Never mind about not having a bath in the house , your safety is paramount. I have a walk in shower and I love it. So quick , I am in and out every morning in no time at all. I have room for a shower seat should the need arise. Go for it , you will not regret it !

Smileless2012 Mon 20-Feb-23 11:28:28

Replacing a bath with a shower can deter families with young children, but what's important is what will work best for you and your husband in the long term williamnorm.

Regardless of what you plan to do in terms of leaving your home to your family, it is your home so do whatever you need to do so you can continue to enjoy it.

Juggernaut Mon 20-Feb-23 12:04:35

We had our bathroom completely remodelled in January last year, and have never made a better decision!
We have downsized to a bungalow, and have totally 'future proofed' it.
The bathroom was taken apart completely, back to bare brick, and started again from scratch.
We now have a large shower cubicle, 900 x 1600, super low level, so no having to step up or down into or out of it.
We have a combi boiler for the heating, so had the old electric shower removed and replaced with a thermostatically controlled power shower, it's wonderful!
There's a wall mounted shower seat, which isn't needed yet, (but who knows what the future holds) and fitted chrome grab bars, and the cubicle has a pivot door which opens outwards for super easy access.
The loo is a 'comfort height' taller model, with a rimless flush, which I think is much more hygienic, and the height is certainly far better for our knees and backs.
The central light has been replaced with three LED spots, and we have a wall mounted cabinet above the basin with LED lights operated by a wave sensor switch and an automatic demister. The basin itself is now set in a cabinet, to give extra storage.
As the shower cubicle is shorter than the bath was, we had room for a 6ft tall, slim cupboard, where all the loo rolls, shower gels, shampoos etc live.
We bought the tallest heated towel rail available, and with curved bars as it can be difficult 'threading' wet towels onto straight, hot bars which are close to the wall.
I also insisted on the absolute luxury of underfloor heating in there, which cost a lot less than I expected, and is very economical to run too.
We have a super powerful extractor fan, which whisks steam away in moments!
I hated the old bathroom here, turquoise bath, loo and basin, green tiles with pink flowers, it was hideous!
Now it's white, grey and chrome, easy to use, easy to clean and I love it!
It's your house, so make the adaptations which will improve your life, never mind what anyone else thinks!
I've just remembered, make sure to go for a non-slip shower tray, so, so much safer!

Elegran Mon 20-Feb-23 12:06:37

We remodelled our bahroom, and discovered that we could fit in a quite large P shaped shower and a bath with a hand-held shower fitting on the taps for hair-washing. The bath is tapered so it is narrower at one end, which makes for more floor space. I never use the bath, so I keep the broad end of it covered with white melamine boards (salvaged from a old cupboard) - this gives somewhere to sit while drying feet etc, and a place to put clothes while I shower. In the bath (and out of sight under the white boards) I keep the laundry basket. The loo and wash-basin are in vanity cupboards.

Lomo123 Mon 20-Feb-23 12:07:42

Best thing I have done in the house. Too difficult and dangerous getting in and out a bath. Not planning on selling house, got to put safety first. Easy to clean too.

silverlining48 Mon 20-Feb-23 12:15:00

I am in a similar quandary. Love my bath but it’s getting more awkward. There is a shower downstairs but it’s a step up and not very big. A nice walk in shower upstairs would be nice , but still prefer baths. Oh dear

Theexwife Mon 20-Feb-23 12:16:23

How much value do you think a bath will add to the value of your house? I doubt it would be much.

However much it is surely your health and well-being are worth more, a fall could leave you with a permanent injury.

Nanatoone Mon 20-Feb-23 12:16:57

Do what is right for you now. My daughter bought a house with a walk in shower room but wanted a bath and had it altered to suit. No problem at all, although the plumber did say it was the first time he'd done it that way round!

grandMattie Mon 20-Feb-23 12:18:51

Oh, absolutely! Make sure the shower is big enough for a stool.

I'm looking at flats, moving from a biggish house, if there is only a bath or a bath/shoer, the first thing I'd do is remover the bath! I NEVER use the bath, I'm terrified of slipping and also, although very fit, I'm finding getting out of the bath/shower harder and harder. Just have a longer shower, if you want a soak...

flump Mon 20-Feb-23 12:19:28

Buy wall panels, not tiles, as they are easy to wipe down and there is no grout to try to keep clean.

25Avalon Mon 20-Feb-23 12:26:22

Have you thought about having a wet room? These are a bit more expensive but very popular. It is all one level and you don’t need a shower screen. You can fit a fold in seat in.

sodapop Mon 20-Feb-23 12:27:05

I think the days of needing to keep a bath in the house are long gone now williamnorm most people prefer showers to save water and heating etc. Do what is best for you now, lots of ideas on here.

V3ra Mon 20-Feb-23 12:27:33

My daughter's house had had the bath taken out and a shower cubicle fitted by the previous older owners.

Her partner and my husband have taken the cubicle out and refitted a bath, with the shower over, which obviously suits them better having very young children.

With a large walk-in shower there would still be the space to re-fit a bath, so I can't see what you're thinking of doing putting any future purchasers off if that's what's worrying you.

But you definitely need to make your home fit for your needs now and in the near future.