Gransnet forums

House and home

Coloured Toilet paper

(128 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Sun 26-Feb-23 09:27:01

Who remembers these, those were the days, I remember we used to have the pink in our bathroom when I lived at home to match the white bath and pink and white bathroom tiles

Grantanow Tue 14-Mar-23 11:33:31

As the distinguished Chinese president said of his cat, I don't care if it's black or white so long as it catches mice.

M0nica Sat 04-Mar-23 19:52:31

Most supermarket have an ecological recycled paper unbleached loo roll.

I get mine from Waitorse £5.85 for 9, no doubt other supermarkets are even cheaper.

Ethelwashere1 Sat 04-Mar-23 16:41:07

I meant unbleached

Ethelwashere1 Sat 04-Mar-23 16:40:48

Can you not get coloured loo paper anymore. I just look for white but white is supposed to contain bleach, has it changed to in bleached like flour

62Granny Thu 02-Mar-23 15:25:38

I used to like the peach colour when we first married as someone said it matched the tiles in the bathroom, I also had one of the crochet loo roll covers that was peach colour as well😂
I can't get over the price gone on it recently ,the branded ones are over £8.00 for a bag of 9.

Wyllow3 Thu 02-Mar-23 15:14:48

I’d not encountered a bidet before moving here. Trying not to be TMI I keep washing up gloves hidden in bathroom. Result: virtually no paper needed and always feel good in relevant areas!

gulligranny Thu 02-Mar-23 14:43:19

I had a loo and bathroom papered in a rather fetching pale lavender and I could get matching lavender loo rolls in what was then our local Safeway - I'm talking early 1990s now.

There was a time when we were told that coloured loo paper was better for the environment. At the same time my cousin, who lives in Montreal, was being told that they could only have white paper because it was better for the environment!

M0nica Thu 02-Mar-23 14:38:03

i cannot see how a watering can of water can properly clean all one's interstices, a cloth or sponge would also need to be used.

MayBee70 Thu 02-Mar-23 13:08:16

I remember someone I worked with over 40 years ago telling me that we shouldn’t buy coloured toilet roll as it was bad for the environment. It was probably the first time I’d become aware of environmental issues.

Farzanah Thu 02-Mar-23 13:04:23

Our culture, well those of the middle class, call them bidets BlueBelle 😀

BlueBelle Thu 02-Mar-23 09:06:37

Other cultures wash their bums with ‘watering cans’ kept by the loo (not sure of the correct name for them)
Use more water I guess but no bunged up pipes

Magrithea Thu 02-Mar-23 09:01:29

Honey coloured (aka beige!) loo paper was available up until the pandemic I think. Much easier if you have white loo rolls in all bathrooms, just buy one big pack for all

Forsythia Tue 28-Feb-23 21:18:47

We had pink or peach years ago. It was much softer than what we buy today I think. My MiL used to buy pale blue to go with her bathroom Suite.

Farzanah Tue 28-Feb-23 21:12:07

Very eco MOnica. Saves all that paper flushing into the sewers.

M0nica Tue 28-Feb-23 20:19:11

The Romans used sponges on sticks and swilled them out, presumably like loo brushes.

harrigran Tue 28-Feb-23 10:48:06

I remember the coloured toilet paper, one bathroom had a grey suite and pink tiles so had pink paper. The other bathroom had a champagne coloured suite and I bought peach coloured for there.
I have noticed that the paper seems to be much thinner now, doesn't bother me too much as I don't go for number twos any more.

Farzanah Tue 28-Feb-23 09:51:17

To be truly recyclable it should be washable and we could hang out with washing😀

hollysteers Tue 28-Feb-23 00:14:36

I’m always amused when I see recycled lavatory paper.
I know it’s not true, but it makes me think of all the people who have used it before I will.

hollysteers Tue 28-Feb-23 00:00:12

Of course I mean lavatory paper😉

hollysteers Mon 27-Feb-23 23:58:57

Coloured toilet paper! Always very Non-U, I’m clutching my pearls in horror 😁

Hetty58 Mon 27-Feb-23 23:44:23

On first visiting my future MIL's home, that horrible shock of hard, shiny, little sheets of paper in a box. She wouldn't have soft loo roll in the house, believing it 'unhygienic' as it wasn't medicated with disinfectant. After that, I always took my own, hiding it in my sleeves and/or shoes - just in case.

silverlining48 Mon 27-Feb-23 23:32:10

First it was news paper cut into squares stuck to a nail, which progressed to the hard shiny horrible tracing paper which just didn’t work and then ‘soft paper’ appeared. What joy 🤩 Don’t care what colour but soft was the most important distinction.

LadyGracie Mon 27-Feb-23 23:16:20

Was there Bronco toilet paper too, or did I dream it. Greaseproof in a box.

Amalegra Mon 27-Feb-23 22:00:16

I had forgotten completely about coloured toilet paper! I had a terracotta and pale green bathroom and I liked the peach colour. No to scented paper; it’s expensive and just a catchpenny, as my mother would have said! I just go for reasonable quality and value for money these days tbh.

Grandma29 Mon 27-Feb-23 21:31:35

Apparently coloured toilet paper is bad for the environment!