Gransnet forums

House and home

Coloured Toilet paper

(127 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Sun 26-Feb-23 09:27:01

Who remembers these, those were the days, I remember we used to have the pink in our bathroom when I lived at home to match the white bath and pink and white bathroom tiles

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 26-Feb-23 09:28:58

Oh yes. I had a pink bathroom suite which I loved, so of course had the matching loo paper. I cringe when I think about it. 😱

Chestnut Sun 26-Feb-23 09:33:06

I believe you could get pink, green, blue or peach. White toilet paper looked so boring in comparison!

Fleurpepper Sun 26-Feb-23 09:33:13

Same here, but at least I did not choose it lol. Did you have a crocheted hat for the spare one? lol

nanna8 Sun 26-Feb-23 09:36:06

I hadn’t thought about it but yes, you are right. Used to be able to even get peach coloured which matched my bathroom at the time ( peach and avocado, 1980s) I reckon in 10 years it will be all the rage again unless they decide it is not politically correct of course.

Foxgloveandroses Sun 26-Feb-23 09:36:08

🤣🤣🤣 I'd forgotten all about coloured toilet paper!!

NotSpaghetti Sun 26-Feb-23 09:38:15

I never liked it - nor do I like the ones you can buy now which have a fragrance.
My parents did have a "spare" roll in a doll disguise grin

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 26-Feb-23 09:39:02

No way fp! And I had avocado in a previous house in the early 70s … presumably I bought white loo paper then.

Fleurpepper Sun 26-Feb-23 09:45:21

Actually memory playing tricks, the house we had in 75 had an avocado suite, it was my next door neighbour and great friend who had the pink one! And the crochet and lace loo roll dolly hat.

aggie Sun 26-Feb-23 09:51:39

Was there not a scare about coloured toilet paper being bad for your health?

HeavenLeigh Sun 26-Feb-23 09:56:22

🤣🤣 yesssssss we did fleurpepper I cringe now when I think about it , she was in pink and white too

Katek Sun 26-Feb-23 10:04:57

You can still buy it in very funky colours! I must admit I had the black ones as a 'display' item in a black/white bathroom!

Casdon Sun 26-Feb-23 10:08:22

I suppose the question now is whether the one embossed with Andrex puppies is any more tasteful?

Yammy Sun 26-Feb-23 10:11:31

Fleurpepper

Same here, but at least I did not choose it lol. Did you have a crocheted hat for the spare one? lol

I knew a house that had part of a doll with a crochet skirt covering the spare loo roll. I've always had white loo roll since a urologist in the early 80s said the coloured ones could give you an infection with the die.

Yammy Sun 26-Feb-23 10:14:16

At Christmas, you could get a loo roll with holly printed on it. I can remember the dd's going mad when I would not buy it. I said it would prick their bottoms.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 26-Feb-23 10:21:24

Yammy

At Christmas, you could get a loo roll with holly printed on it. I can remember the dd's going mad when I would not buy it. I said it would prick their bottoms.

I always buy Christmas Toilet Roll from M & S

Beechnut Sun 26-Feb-23 10:23:36

Yammy

🤣🤣

Juno56 Sun 26-Feb-23 10:27:24

I blush to admit that I received a roll of Christmas toilet paper in an office Secret Santa and put it in my bathroom (it had a holly design on it 😲)!

SueDonim Sun 26-Feb-23 10:32:56

aggie

Was there not a scare about coloured toilet paper being bad for your health?

Yes, there was! A friend worked in the paper industry and he warned us not to use blue loo paper. 👀 👀

I don’t like these scented loo rolls with aloe vera/coconut etc. They feel slimy. The coconut versions smells awful, too.

This all has set off my memory - anyone else remember the boxes of paper tissues in a rainbow of pastel colours? I loved those! grin

25Avalon Sun 26-Feb-23 10:35:17

I stopped using coloured toilet roll when I realised it was not readily biodegradable.

shysal Sun 26-Feb-23 10:42:18

Is anyone using the new Cushelle without the cardboard centre? It seems a good idea, but I refuse to buy them because there are 6 rolls instead of 9 and a pack is more expensive!! There can't be many extra sheets per roll.

timetogo2016 Sun 26-Feb-23 10:48:51

I too had forgotten about coloured toilet rolls.
I don`t remember buying them myself,but as a child/youth i do remember my parents buying them.
And sadly i did have a crocheted doll when i first married in 1978,that was 2 big mistakes lol.

Chestnut Sun 26-Feb-23 10:52:46

I can't see the benefit of having either scented toilet paper or no cardboard centre! Paper just gets used and flushed, so are you going to sit there sniffing it? I don't think so. And the cardboard centre just goes in the recycling, so what is the problem with that?

crazyH Sun 26-Feb-23 10:58:05

I always buy 2 rolls of Xmas toilet paper 😂 they last for the Xmas season

SueDonim Sun 26-Feb-23 11:04:45

One of the supermarkets (can’t recall which) does a double length loo roll, with a smaller diameter cardboard centre. It’s wrapped in a paper outer, is decent quality and they claim is better for the environment as it uses less card and reduces transport costs.

If only I could remember where I bought it! confused