Gransnet forums

House and home

Coloured Bathroom suites

(45 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Sun 26-Feb-23 09:30:47

We had an amitage shanks grey bathroom suite the colour was called silver fox loved it, that was early 80’s I clearly remember going into a showroom and choosing it we had just had our house built. Anyone had this colour or any other colours I bet most have

AskAlice Sun 26-Feb-23 09:37:54

When we bought our house in 1982, it had an avocado bathroom suite. We couldn't afford to replace it and I learned to live with it for a good few years. I made a feature of the colour - painted one wall dark moss green, green blinds and lots of leafy plants. It was like bathing in the jungle! Come 2003, when we moved, it was still there - DH didn't see the problem at all and we never did get round to changing it...

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 26-Feb-23 09:43:09

Yes, we had grey too and I thought it was lovely at the time (90s). And avocado in the 70s, pink in the 80s (all different houses). Having grown up with white, I wanted anything but. Now, of course, it’s white!

BlueBelle Sun 26-Feb-23 09:44:44

My mum and dad had a lovely avocado bathroom after they died the estate agent assured me he would never be able to sell it with an advocado bathroom so I took his advice had a beautiful white bathroom put in and it sold, but their neighbours told he the first thing the buyers did was remove my beautiful white bathroom and wait for it buried it in the back garden !!!!
I could have cried honestly I could

NotSpaghetti Sun 26-Feb-23 09:52:38

We have good friends who chose all the paler colours and had a bath, bidet, washbasin and WC in those (one each) pink, grey, blue and (?) Maybe honey? They were arty and inventive and the walls were tiled/painted to go with the fittings.
It was a joy to use their bathroom!

You may know this but there are new colours available and I love them.

tanith Sun 26-Feb-23 09:55:26

We had a tan bathroom suite at one time not my choice it was awful but now i always go for white.

HeavenLeigh Sun 26-Feb-23 09:58:56

Yes we had a bidet too. Not spaghetti , we have for many years now had the lovely white bathroom suites

NotSpaghetti Sun 26-Feb-23 10:00:59

There are also very glamorous stone/marble ones and stunning fancy glazes.

www.lussostone.com/stone-resin-baths-c1/bolivian-blue-marble-muse-sodalite-freestanding-bath-1700mm-p3598/s5115?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=muse-pietra-sodalite-bolivian-blue-marble-bath-1700-mus17sbb&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads&cid=GBP&glCurrency=GBP&glCountry=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQiAo-yfBhD_ARIsANr56g4a4p5GVVh3eM6L2V-Ppcb37NHyFnPYFMtlIviaUGm3Ws8XQ41nCXoaAt5YEALw_wcB

These people will do bespoke colours too... 😍
www.oakceramicsstore.com/ideas

Yammy Sun 26-Feb-23 10:06:41

We've had avocado and lilac with purple walls all inherited, DH said the purple was like a migraine attack.
The next house had the original 1930s bathroom a mustard yellow bath etc. and green tiles that were rectangular like they are today. A friend said it looked like a public toilet. the upper part of the walls the decorator had never seen since he was an apprentice it was a varnished glaze.
Since then all white, we had had trouble selling MIL house with the avocado that she had thought so fashionable.

boheminan Sun 26-Feb-23 10:09:00

My 1970's Avocado bath/ basin/toilet have all pretty much died! so reluctantly next week they'll be going up to the Great Bathroom in the Sky and being replaced with white - but they've done well for 46 years (I wonder if the new white set will last as long? don't know, won't be here to see)

SueDonim Sun 26-Feb-23 10:14:00

Our previous house had ‘Sun King’ (aka Baby Poo grin) in the cloakroom, Pacific Blue (with a horrendous Noddy and Big Ears mural on the walls) in the main bathroom and a deep burgundy in the en suite. We gradually replaced them with white.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 26-Feb-23 10:24:32

Oh yes SueDonim when we moved into our present home the family bathroom was burgundy.

The downstairs cloakroom was avocado and our bathroom was a shade of beige.

They were gone PDQ replaced with white.

25Avalon Sun 26-Feb-23 10:30:44

I’ve had blue in the past and my current en-suite is cream. I remember when she moved to a new built house in 2004 mil was horrified that she couldn’t get a pink bath anymore. I had to scour every bathroom shop and catalogue before she accepted white was the only available colour.

Interesting if colours are coming back. I must look.

shysal Sun 26-Feb-23 10:46:48

We had a Pampas suite, a beige/green colour.

The house I now live in still has the off-white colour. In artificial light (there is no window) it is acceptable to me, not worth the upheaval of replacing it.

annodomini Sun 26-Feb-23 10:49:00

I've had lemon, pink (twice) mustard and a nondescript sort of apricot. Now I'm going to have the choice of my next bathroom and it has to be white!

MiniMoon Sun 26-Feb-23 10:54:36

We moved in 1992 to a house with a chocolate brown bathroom suite. I hated it! It was the first thing we replaced. We moved again in 2002 to our current house. It has a swirly cream/yellow whirlpool bath and matching cream toilet bidet and basin. Downstairs the toilet and sink are avocado. I'm not keen on either but I'm putting up with them.

Sparklefizz Sun 26-Feb-23 10:55:47

When I moved into this house, the en suite was in pampas and the main bathroom in avocado. Now both white! smile

Joseanne Sun 26-Feb-23 10:59:50

House viewing in 1982 we saw every colour under the sun. The dark burgundy and navy blue suites were awful for showing scum, so any houses with dirty baths were rejected from our pile.
The dark coloured suites did sort of work in country piles at that time, especially against thr wood cladding and exotic wallpaper.
In the end we had a new champagne coloured suite installed anyway.

crazyH Sun 26-Feb-23 11:00:54

Pampas here as well, when we moved in - all white, grey and dark grey now ….

Kate1949 Sun 26-Feb-23 11:01:11

We had one called Pompadour Pink!

Witzend Sun 26-Feb-23 11:12:17

In the early 60s, my folks replaced our ancient white bathroom suite with a turquoise one - the lovely colour (not that I’d ever seen such a thing then) of a shallow, tropical sea. I’ve never seen one anything like the same since.

My mother complemented it with some bathroom wallpaper, white, with a big splashy, blue and green floral pattern.
We thought it was the bees’ knees.

At the showroom where they chose it, all four of us kids were in hysterics when the saleswoman explained the function of a bidet - ‘a bottom washer’ 😂

Oreo Sun 26-Feb-23 13:34:02

SueDonim

Our previous house had ‘Sun King’ (aka Baby Poo grin) in the cloakroom, Pacific Blue (with a horrendous Noddy and Big Ears mural on the walls) in the main bathroom and a deep burgundy in the en suite. We gradually replaced them with white.

😂😂😂

Oreo Sun 26-Feb-23 13:36:36

Witzend I was told that a relative’s bidet was for feet washing.I was very impressed.😄

Mum (80) still has a pale pink bathroom suite, she loves it.There is a pink carpet as well.

JaneJudge Sun 26-Feb-23 13:36:48

Suedonim that hilarious. Why did you have a noddy mural on the wall?

I had only come on to say my Mum had a pink cloakroom suite with green and black tiling to the walls and it was incredibly stylish.

Oreo Sun 26-Feb-23 13:38:08

Why has the world gone white and grey and black?