Gransnet forums

House and home

Strange smell in kitchen

(27 Posts)
Elliebeth Fri 03-Mar-23 13:55:50

Hi everyone, I have a ninja airfryer and needed to clean inside the lid. Despite many attempts of s.teaming its lemon and bicarbonate of soda we eventually had to take the grill guard off. This was fine but now I am left with a very strange smell around the worktop. The kitchen is only six months old, the fridge and freezer fit underneath and I have cleaned it repeatedly but can’t get rid of the smell. There is a gap between the top of the fridge and the worktop and this is where the smell is. Is it the repeated steaming I did ? I am at my wits end with it so would be grateful for any suggestions..thank you

Farmor15 Sat 04-Mar-23 23:02:44

The defrost water is supposed to evaporate, but if something gets pushed to back of fridge, eg cheese wrapped in paper, it may freeze onto back wall. When auto-defrosting, small amounts can end up going down the drainage hole. After a while, enough gunge can accumulate to start smelling.

Seems to be a common enough problem, happened to me, also a friend and previously on Gransnet. I suppose if you regularly empty fridge and wipe down back walls it shouldn't happen.