Gransnet forums

House and home

I hate my hoover!

(55 Posts)
Aveline Sat 04-Mar-23 11:06:39

I'm in the middle of a mega hoovering operation prior to moth prevention sprays and tools. Boy oh boy I hate my Dyson ball vacuum cleaner. It's so heavy and unwieldy. Is there any practical alternative vacuum cleaner for a carpeted flat with two long haired cats? (Don't suggest getting rid of 'the boys'. I'd rather have furry carpets than a cat free household)
Would a robot cleaner work?

Aveline Sun 26-Mar-23 17:23:13

I should say that I shopped around and Amazon had the best deal on when I ordered it. There was a big variation in price so worth checking.

Doodledog Sun 26-Mar-23 17:16:08

I'm another with a GTech, and I love it. I've just bought a cheap cordless one for the lodge - this one. It only has an 18 minute charge on high power (longer on low power, but I don't see the point of that) and it's not as powerful as the GTech, but it is a fraction of the price, and for a small space I don't need to be hoovering for very long, and it's still very effective. Also, it is small, so the brush head will fit in places where the GTech wouldn't, and it takes up very little cupboard space. It doesn't stand up on its own, but will rest against a wall.

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Mar-23 17:03:37

Aveline

A new diamond or a kitten can be very nice too!
Callistemon the GTech is so light and manoeuvrable after the Dyson ball. Hoovering is (almost) a pleasure. No cord to drag around either.

Thanks Aveline and everyone

Aveline Sun 26-Mar-23 16:51:49

A new diamond or a kitten can be very nice too!
Callistemon the GTech is so light and manoeuvrable after the Dyson ball. Hoovering is (almost) a pleasure. No cord to drag around either.

JaneJudge Sun 26-Mar-23 16:02:53

Aveline

Hallelujah! My GTech air ram K9 arrived yesterday. Hoovering with it is like a different activity altogether. I'm so pleased with it. Thanks for the recommendations and suggestions. I went for the GTech as it was specifically for homes with pets.

I'm glad you like it. There is nothing nicer than a new hoover. Actually that is wrong....a new washing machine is also nice

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Mar-23 15:58:47

grandMattie

Goodness, a lot of hatred for the Dyson ball. I’m another one. It never worried me before DH died, but now I’m the one vacuuming…
I’m getting a light one as soon as I move. The consensus seems to be Shark or Gtech, cordless. Is that right?

Mine does a good job but I find it too heavy (I have a shoulder problem) and it does tend to swerve and go on its own trajectory!

Aveline Sun 26-Mar-23 09:55:11

Hallelujah! My GTech air ram K9 arrived yesterday. Hoovering with it is like a different activity altogether. I'm so pleased with it. Thanks for the recommendations and suggestions. I went for the GTech as it was specifically for homes with pets.

Elusivebutterfly Sat 25-Mar-23 08:45:03

I love my cordless Dyson. It picks up pretty well, even on the thick bedroom carpet which another lightweight cleaner I had would not go over. It's the only cleaner I can easily carry up and down stairs.
I used to have an upright corded Dyson as well which I liked, but it eventually died.
I had a Henry but found it heavy and awkward.
I have a robot which cleans the hard floors downstairs but do have to be careful to clear any leads or other bits such as pet toys first.

MerylStreep Sat 25-Mar-23 08:11:00

You’ll never see Dysons being used in a Hotel, whys that 🤔

grandMattie Sat 25-Mar-23 08:01:02

Goodness, a lot of hatred for the Dyson ball. I’m another one. It never worried me before DH died, but now I’m the one vacuuming…
I’m getting a light one as soon as I move. The consensus seems to be Shark or Gtech, cordless. Is that right?

Aveline Sat 25-Mar-23 07:50:23

I must avoid overworking the new hoover! Good point Calendargirl

Calendargirl Sat 25-Mar-23 07:34:21

I hate vacuuming. Didn’t like my Dyson, when it conked I bought a Bosch, it stopped working just after the warranty ran out.

I now have a Shark, but don’t believe in over working it. Seems ok so far.

multicolourswapshop Sat 25-Mar-23 06:54:06

I’ve thedyson which hangs on the wall it’s great and very,ighweight

Aveline Sat 25-Mar-23 06:18:59

Breakthrough! I'd complained about the Dyson so much that when I was out DH hoovered most of the house. Even he couldn't face doing it all in a oner. My purchase of a new cordless GTech is now officially sanctioned. Which is lucky as it's arriving today!

MadeInYorkshire Fri 24-Mar-23 10:38:50

My elderly mum has a GTECH - one good thing is that it doesn't have a filter that you have to mess about with - however, she has a rough coated Jack Russel who sheds a lot, only really short hairs BUT the whole tube does get clogged up and then it doesn't work at all! Took me 20 minutes to 'unbung' it for her last time! It did though used to be very good, it's pretty aged now ...

MadeInYorkshire Fri 24-Mar-23 10:35:05

I have a EUFY robot cleaner which is a lifesaver for me as I cannot manage a hoover, and have the very hairy dogs, BUT I have no carpets, it is all hard flooring. I don't really know how successful it would be on carpet, especially a carpet with any real pile? It is possible you could buy off Amazon and return it within 30 days if it doesn't work for you?

The other thing I have but would be no use to you really, is a hand held Shark. It's lightweight and strong and great for picking up bits you would generally use a dustpan and brush for ....

Walkowl Thu 23-Mar-23 19:36:52

I also hate my Dyson. Would definitely get a cordless one next time.

Oldbat1 Thu 23-Mar-23 19:12:21

I now have a corded Shark which I find very good at dealing with my dogs hair - I have 3. I also have a couple of Dysons one very heavy and one handheld. Prefer the Shark.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 23-Mar-23 17:48:23

I had one of the early Dysons many years ago, and it was shaped to sit on stairs. I liked it, but it eventually gave up. The replacement one, which is by no means new, doesn't sit securely on stairs and is just generally heavy and awkward. It's still working though, so I'm not planning to change it, but I won't be getting another Dyson, partly because Mr Dyson was so keen on Brexit and then moved his manufacturing to Singapore. angry

Maybe my current one still works because I don't use it nearly as often as I should... blush

Aveline Thu 23-Mar-23 16:31:27

While still pondering about a GTech Air Ram I noticed that a staff member in M&S was using one. I asked how she found it and she raved about it. She gave me a shot of it. While this was going on a customer came up and said she had one and was very pleased with it. I went home, Googled prices etc and have just ordered one. Fingers crossed!

LadyGracie Mon 20-Mar-23 23:51:09

I've got a Dyson pet and an iRobot, I generally let the robot wander round most days, it picks up an amazing amount including black cat hair. I get the Dyson out a couple of times a week just to do in the corners.

Magnolia62 Mon 20-Mar-23 20:27:29

I have had four Dyson upright cleaners. The first, years old, I passed to one adult child and then to another. The second, another adult child has. Both have had new motors and a few minor repairs but still going strong. Good machines. The third was a Dyson ball. After about five years the main shaft cracked and is not worth repairing. I now have another Dyson ball. Not possible to buy any other model. It does work really well but I do wonder how long it will last!

Callistemon21 Sat 04-Mar-23 20:18:33

By the way a DYSON is NOT a hoover

Everyone knows, I think, but the name is generic now 😁

HowVeryDareYou2 Sat 04-Mar-23 17:45:48

I've got Miele Cat & Dog cylinder vacuum. At one time, I had 3 cats (sadly, they've all gone now), and this particular vacuum was good for picking up hair.

Aveline Sat 04-Mar-23 17:04:10

I think mine'll be joining them soon