Gransnet forums

House and home

Portable air conditioning unit

(29 Posts)
Quokka Sat 04-Mar-23 22:12:31

My elderly (94) aunt is coming to stay with us for the foreseeable future. She suffered during last years heat waves and I’m looking to buy a portable air conditioning unit for her bedroom.

Wondered if anyone has one that they would recommend perhaps?

karmalady Sun 05-Mar-23 06:06:38

There are air conditioners and air coolers. Air conditioners also de humidify, which is the last thing I would want in a hot dry summer. Warm air has to vented away from the room, preferably to the outside

An air cooler has a fan which blows air over moisture, which in the one I had was water poured over something like a wall of a straw-like substance. The air cooler was ok, it did cool by a couple of degrees. You can get exactly the same result with a fan moving air across a damp tea towel hanging in an airer

I bought my cooler from this company and have since given it away, they take up quite a bit of room.

www.aircondirect.co.uk/ct/heating-and-air-conditioning/air-conditioners/portable

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Mar-23 06:56:34

I’ve got an amazing thing!
I got it from Amazon last year. It was great during the heat wave.
I’ll find you a link. Back in a mo…

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Mar-23 07:03:32

I’ve entered every possible keyword that I can think of, but can’t find it on Amazon.
It’s in the cupboard under the stairs, so I’ll go and find out exactly what it’s called later today.

Quokka Sun 05-Mar-23 07:22:49

I’d be very grateful if you could find that link Fanny. Have you looked in previous orders in you Amazon account perhaps?

Jaxjacky Sun 05-Mar-23 07:28:38

We bought this air chiller 2 years ago, a life saver as I don’t like extreme heat.
probreeze.com/products/air-coolers/10l-portable-air-cooler/

Jaxjacky Sun 05-Mar-23 07:29:07

PS it’s not that huge.

rosie1959 Sun 05-Mar-23 07:35:48

I have a portable air conditioning unit which I brought from Idealworld shopping channel mine is an Unoovo I think it is 10000 or 12000 BTU it like all air conditioners has to be vented through the window. It works very well and will cool our office or large lounge.
I can’t remember the exact price but it was around £300

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Mar-23 08:10:14

I’m pretty certain that it is this one.
I remember now that I bought it because of JaxJacky’s recommendation.
It is excellent. Easy to use and move about (I had terrible mobility at the time, but it was fine).
It cools really well even without putting ice in it.
I think mine might be the smaller model than Jacky’s, as my house is small.
Pro Breeze® 5L Portable Air Cooler with 4 Operational Modes, 3 Fan Speeds, LED Display & Remote Control. High Powered Evaporative Air Cooler with Built in Timer & Automatic Oscillation amzn.eu/d/1niNetn

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Mar-23 08:12:10

Quokka

I’d be very grateful if you could find that link Fanny. Have you looked in previous orders in you Amazon account perhaps?

Yes, I couldn’t find it there at all. Which makes me wonder if I got it elsewhere (which is highly unusual!) It may have been Argos 🤔

25Avalon Sun 05-Mar-23 08:16:15

That looks extremely useful FC. Thanks for posting in answer to a good question.This is where GN comes into its own.

Serendipity22 Sun 05-Mar-23 08:40:53

FANNNNTASTIC I am soooo glad I çame across this topic because i was starting to 'plan' for the apparently horrendous heat this summer.... last year my solution was flippin FROZEN HOT WATER BOTTLES that I had stacked up in the freezer.... and i had left it too late to purchase a cooling system...... i seem to remember putting a thread on GN regarding which is the best cooling system last year...

😃

1summer Sun 05-Mar-23 09:02:42

I bought this one from Costco last year, it was £299 but if I remember Argos had it as well but was a lot more expensive.
It’s very good and powerful.

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Mar-23 09:07:22

Unfortunately, the ProBreeze ones all seem to be out of stock for some reason.
The one that I’ve linked to is listed as ‘used’.

karmalady Sun 05-Mar-23 09:13:23

ooh I am tempted JJ, it is certainly smaller than the one I had and could be another thing that I can store behind the sofa,not having an understairs cupboard.

I am reading reviews now, not brilliant reviews and one saying that it needs a ventilated room. I am still on the fence about summer cooling. This is a good topic

Franbern Sun 05-Mar-23 09:15:09

I purchased an Igenix cooler last summer. It is on wheels, which means easy (in a flat) to move from Living Room to bedroom., etc. Has water tank and two ice blocks. Yes, I know it much the same than putting a wet towel in front of my normal tower fan - but TBH, it is nicer to look at than that, and easier to use.

It does NOT a great cooling effect, but anything can better than nothing when we have those hot stuffy times, the only problem I had with it is that the remote control seems to be on the same frequency as the one for my tower fan (a different make), and there is no way of amending the frequency on these small remotes. My Living room has a large patio door, and a window on the opposite wall, so can usually get some sort of 'through breeze', but the sun blazes through the windows next to that patio door - At the end of last summer I finally had an awning fitted onto that balcony, and hope that using that this summer will help.

NotSpaghetti Sun 05-Mar-23 09:17:07

Here's the ProBreeze website.
probreeze.com/product-category/air-coolers/?gclid=CjwKCAiAmJGgBhAZEiwA1JZolrqceafFR12FRJJMduPubLk5Je4SzE5owI8ojuMTOB45T1sUNVXPCxoCPCsQAvD_BwE

NotSpaghetti Sun 05-Mar-23 09:19:30

Franbern - at the risk of hijacking the thread - are you happy with the awning and if so what make is it please?

crazyH Sun 05-Mar-23 09:25:13

Yes, I think I have the one in Isummer’s picture. Very very useful in Summer. There is a Remote Control. I don’t use the ice - it cools the air without using ice.

karmalady Sun 05-Mar-23 09:25:16

I have decided, having read electrq reviews on ebay, I am out, will not be buying one and will stick with a fan and a bowl of bought ice cubes on very hot days

Air con is better but I am not having a hole in the wall, just for a few days

karmalady Sun 05-Mar-23 09:27:53

Definitely I think an awning is a good idea and even better if someone would invent an effective solar shade on suction cups that could be stuck on the inside of windows

karmalady Sun 05-Mar-23 09:32:50

That meaco cool uses refrigerant and has an optional hose. It de-humidifies so is air con. I wish these air cons had no need of a hose. I wonder what costco will stock this year? might keep an eye on the store

karmalady Sun 05-Mar-23 09:39:37

a good explanation explaining the whys and wherefores

learnmetrics.com/air-conditioner-without-hose/

sorry, I highjacked the thread. Will leave you to it now and fingers very much crossed that we don`t get those extreme days this summer

aggie Sun 05-Mar-23 10:09:20

I had an awning fitted as I have south facing patio doors in my living/sitting /kitchen room , it has been invaluable. I have to use it even in the winter as I can’t cope with too much heat .
Without it my room can get up to 40 !
Karmalady I don’t think the suction thing you mentioned would work , I got floor length lined curtains , they kept out the glare , but the heat built up behind them , and meant that the heat permeated the room when anyone was going in and out , maybe blinds on the outside , or shutters would be better ?
I am looking at the air coolers for next year , but the awning is great in keeping the sun off the glass

dragonfly46 Sun 05-Mar-23 10:20:25

We have always had an awning and replaced it last year. It is invaluable and we use it all the year round as the sun can get quite strong.