Gransnet forums

House and home

Getting ready for ......

(58 Posts)
karmalady Mon 13-Mar-23 10:25:35

Moths

I have just been on lakeland and have bought my moth stoppers for two wardrobes and several drawers. Free delivery until tonight 13/3

It is not wasted money and yes I have cedar preventers but they all need sanding to be effective

It seems to be an unnecessary expense and I use zip lock bags but I still see those pesky silvery winged small moths in the house from time to time and their grubs are not going to be allowed to munch on my woollens any time soon

toscalily Mon 13-Mar-23 10:37:31

I do buy the Lakeland moth stoppers and spread them about but they are quite expensive so use the cedar wood ones as well. I rub cedar wood oil into the wood to refresh them every so often as they lose their effectiveness over time and in fact did all mine only two days ago, never heard of sanding them down.

NotSpaghetti Mon 13-Mar-23 10:42:13

Sanding is the traditional method I think, tosca

Casdon Mon 13-Mar-23 10:42:28

I can’t wear wool, but I have a few cashmere jumpers and cardigans. Having been caught out a few times by the pesky moths, I now keep them in a sealed bag in the freezer in the summer months. Probably a bit extreme, but it does work.

karmalady Mon 13-Mar-23 11:21:41

Casdon

I can’t wear wool, but I have a few cashmere jumpers and cardigans. Having been caught out a few times by the pesky moths, I now keep them in a sealed bag in the freezer in the summer months. Probably a bit extreme, but it does work.

I like that

I will get some abrinet sander out later and will start the cedar sanding too. I need belt and braces, hate the thought of wool and cashmere being munched. I don`t know if grubs are repulsed or killed by preventers once eggs are laid

Same goes for carpet moths, hence me not having carpet here apart from stairs. Last house, the munching was visible under the beds once removed and that was very tough sisal

Whiff Tue 14-Mar-23 06:01:37

Karmalady I have been using the Lakeland moth stoppers for years in my old house and since my move . I put them under furniture as well out out in the open and in drawers and cupboards. And have found death moths on them at times. I use them all year round.

BlueBelle Tue 14-Mar-23 06:13:20

I presume I haven’t any clothes that moths like I ve havent seen a moth in my house for years and years Why’s that I wonder !
I ve seen them at night in the garden or on the outside of the window panes but nothing inside
I remember Nan always had mothballs in her wardrobes but I’ve never bought them or needed them none of my children use them either ! Not thought about them for years

tanith Tue 14-Mar-23 07:15:32

Ive never had a problem with moths I wonder what the difference between the haves and the have nots is ? Strange!

sodapop Tue 14-Mar-23 07:22:48

Same here BlueBelle never had a problem with moths. I can only think it's because I don't wear wool in any form and definitely not cashmere. They obviously don't like synthetic fibres.

Joseanne Tue 14-Mar-23 07:33:01

I buy mine in Waitrose.
Moths seem to come my way if I don't use the stoppers, but I hate the smell of them when I open the wardrobe doors.
I had a lovely cardigan from New Zealand that sadly got munched. The dogs' blankets get attacked too. sad

MawtheMerrier Tue 14-Mar-23 07:34:03

I will regret saying this, but despite a lot of cashmere jumpers, jackets, ponchos and wraps, (as I have a serious Turtle Doves habit), this has never been a problem.

I do hope I am not tempting fate though!

JackyB Tue 14-Mar-23 07:35:55

I've never had moths in the wardrobe but the mealmoths are a plague in the kitchen. I regularly change the mothtraps and there are always a few in them . In summer and autumn it's far worse.

Franbern Tue 14-Mar-23 08:35:11

Like Bluebelle, moths have never been a problem for me. I really cannot remember the last time if I ever did) purchase a mothball.

Karmalady does seem to be in a perpetual stage of 'preparation' against something going wrong, somewhere in her home.

Suppose I am much more laid back and live life as it comes.

M0nica Tue 14-Mar-23 08:36:58

Mothballs and similar belong in my childhood. Despite having mostly wool sweaters, I have yet to have a problem. Like Maw, I hope I am not tempting providence.

Gingster Tue 14-Mar-23 08:43:05

No moths here either.

AGAA4 Tue 14-Mar-23 08:48:58

I remember mothballs in my GMs wardrobe but I have never used moth repellent nor did my mum and we have never had a problem.

Kalu Tue 14-Mar-23 08:51:10

No moths here. Perhaps they don’t like my selection of cashmere. 😂

MawtheMerrier Tue 14-Mar-23 08:57:33

Oh the shame!
Rejected even by the moths 😳😳😳😳🤣

lixy Tue 14-Mar-23 09:11:06

Our next-door neighbours have just given up the carpet moth battle and have had wooden flooring installed throughout. I have bought moth repellent for the first time ever as there will now be homeless moths looking for somewhere to go - and I don't want them to feel welcome here!
I'd rather do the advance preparation than the expensive repairs.

GrannySomerset Tue 14-Mar-23 09:31:09

As a child I was told by an elderly neighbour that conkers prevent moth infestation so each year I gather enough to put a few in each drawer housing wool garments. Seems to work, and I don’t therefore need to share Maw’s feeling of rejection. Cost free too.

karmalady Tue 14-Mar-23 10:54:29

Franbern

Like Bluebelle, moths have never been a problem for me. I really cannot remember the last time if I ever did) purchase a mothball.

Karmalady does seem to be in a perpetual stage of 'preparation' against something going wrong, somewhere in her home.

Suppose I am much more laid back and live life as it comes.

no need for your typically snide comment franbern. You really do upset a lot of people on GN

karmalady Tue 14-Mar-23 10:57:13

Whiff

Karmalady I have been using the Lakeland moth stoppers for years in my old house and since my move . I put them under furniture as well out out in the open and in drawers and cupboards. And have found death moths on them at times. I use them all year round.

Thank you whiff, a good tip, prevention is always better than cure smile

I have actually seen a couple of those clothes moths here, very tiny with shiny silver wings

fancythat Tue 14-Mar-23 13:45:49

I bought a couple of cheap boxes of mothballs about 20 years ago. Opened the boxes. Put them in the loft. Havent had a problem since.
I dont know if I was just lucky, or whether they are still effective??

sodapop Tue 14-Mar-23 13:48:04

MawtheMerrier

Oh the shame!
Rejected even by the moths 😳😳😳😳🤣

I was shamed too Maw I had some items at an auction house awaiting the next sale. They rang to say they had been burgled but my stuff had not been taken. Even the thieves didn't want it - the shame .

Maggiemaybe Tue 14-Mar-23 14:04:11

I remember my mother-in-law's wardrobe smelling of mothballs, but we have never had a problem (touch wood) apart from when she gave me her beautiful vintage coney fur coat when my winter coat wouldn't fasten when I was expecting DD1. It was beautiful, and I enjoyed swishing about in it in front of my mirror, but had a bit of a moral dilemma about being seen out and about in it. This dilemma didn't last long, as the moths that must have come here with it did their stuff as soon as they got to our mothball free environment!