Gransnet forums

House and home

Freezers, frost free or manual defrost?

(41 Posts)
Stillstanding Wed 15-Mar-23 14:24:18

I have an under the counter freezer which has become invaluable as I now only shop by internet and usually only once a week.
The defrosting has become a real chore and I am wondering whether to replace my freezer with one that defrosts itself.

Can anyone give me any tips on frost free freezers? Which one to buy and whether they are worth changing over to.

Grantanow Wed 15-Mar-23 14:57:23

We have a frost free freezers, both uprights, and theybha

Grantanow Wed 15-Mar-23 15:03:10

Apologies for above mess up. We have an upright frost free freezer and it's been with us now for 3+ years and works fine. It doesn't frost up at all. I think it works by evaporating the water that would be frost from a unit in the works. Much better than a similar non- frost free upright we had for many years which was a pain to defrost. I imagine they are all very similar. We got ours online from ao.com. It's a Beko FRFP1685X_SS. You may want to shop around though.

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 15-Mar-23 15:12:14

Frost free definitely- one chore eliminated. I'm on my second fridge freezer and the last one gave me many years of good service.

Shinamae Wed 15-Mar-23 15:15:39

Frost free for years

kittylester Wed 15-Mar-23 15:44:47

Definitely frost free!

vampirequeen Wed 15-Mar-23 15:45:52

Definitely frost free. Ours is a Beko. We bought it at Currys.

crazyH Wed 15-Mar-23 15:49:20

Yes, I’m also in line for a frost free freezer - I think I will go for a Beko

Moonwatcher1904 Wed 15-Mar-23 15:51:08

I have a Samsung Upright frost free from Curry's. Got it 10 years ago and never had to defrost it. Still as good as new.

Stillstanding Thu 16-Mar-23 11:18:11

Thank you all for your help. I have had a look at that Beko and I think it will be the one.

Floradora9 Thu 16-Mar-23 21:37:13

How I wish you could get frost free chest freezers. I spent hours defrosting mine last week . I bought the spray which was mentioned in another thread but think my hairdryer method was probably as good. I might start off with the hair dryer next time then unplud it and spray. My house fridge freezer is no problem you just forget about defrosting .

Grannynannywanny Thu 16-Mar-23 21:55:07

Another vote for frost free. I have a hotpoint 50/50 fridge freezer approx 14 years old and 🤞 problem free. It’s so long ago I’d forgotten the unpleasant chore of manually defrosting.

Littleannie Thu 16-Mar-23 22:03:20

I have a frost free Beko which I got from Currys. It is excellent, also very quiet running.

JaneJudge Thu 16-Mar-23 22:12:34

go for frost free smile

NotSpaghetti Thu 16-Mar-23 22:30:16

I like frost-free.
Why would anyone want to go back to defrosting I wonder?

PamelaJ1 Fri 17-Mar-23 03:59:00

I didn’t think that there would be an option now. Frost free any day of the week.

Abitbarmy Fri 17-Mar-23 05:04:05

I second all of the above. Ours is an integrated under the counter one. Choice was limited but it’s a John Lewis one. No more crunching sounds pulling out the drawers, no more defrosting. Marvellous.

Cheeseplantmad Fri 17-Mar-23 06:47:35

I’m going to replace my old frost freezer for new frost free one , this time I want a 50/50 fridge freezer , there’s Beko one that I like previously mentioned but not yet fully decided which one to have .

Cabbie21 Fri 17-Mar-23 07:43:52

Another vote for frost free . We have two fridge freezers, both Beko, one in the garage. ( Not all makes are suitable for garages. )

HeavenLeigh Sun 19-Mar-23 11:10:31

Frost free every time both ours are fridge freezer and upright freezer

pen50 Sun 19-Mar-23 11:25:31

Frost free all the way here!

DianaLouise Sun 19-Mar-23 11:36:38

when we were looking at one for our garage was told that we could not have a frost free one by John Lewis

grandtanteJE65 Sun 19-Mar-23 11:56:29

I didn't know there was such a thing as a frost free freezer, which just shows you how far behind the times I am!

Sounds a good thing for those who either can't get down on their hands and knees any longer, or dislike defrosting freezers.

I have made a mental note of the frost free freezer if the day comes when defrosting mine becomes a pain.

Quizzer Sun 19-Mar-23 12:23:38

We had a frost free upright which kept on going wrong as the fan, which removes damp air, kept freezing up!
The repair man said some of them are prone to do that. Check on the reviews.

Vintagegirl Sun 19-Mar-23 12:50:49

Oh dear I never thought to check out frost free. I replaced our old leaking one last week and picked a Liebherr one from the line up in the shop as it is a good brand and matches the frost free fridge we already have. Yes defrost is a pain to do and I miss a dear neighbour who would put some of my stuff in her freezer when the job needed to be done.