Gransnet forums

House and home

A New Front Door. Ideas please.

(12 Posts)
MayBee70 Fri 24-Mar-23 14:12:32

My original door had a low letterbox. I’ve done leafleting in the past so know how awful they are ( also dogs that try to bite post man’s fingers but that’s another story!). Mind you it was quite handy for the cat next door who had used to live in our house and used to lift the letterbox to attract our attention. He did it when we first moved in. I opened the door expecting to see someone standing there only to look down and see this huge ginger cat standing on the doorstep.

Annapops Fri 24-Mar-23 09:15:41

I understand what you mean jackiest about those low letterboxes. Ours is a dummy one covering the original. We have a postbox on the porch wall.

NotSpaghetti Fri 24-Mar-23 06:46:18

I think you need to start with the porch.
Here's an interesting discussion about a porch:

www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/3390943/design-ideas-for-rebuilding-a-1960s-porch

NotSpaghetti Fri 24-Mar-23 06:37:18

You are right. The cottage style door is going to look odd on a 1970s house. I think you have to banish that idea!

1960s and 1970s homes have a different charm and can be very stylish. Do you currently have the sort of door with side-lights next to it?

If not, why not build those into the porch design? glaze those with some modern stained glass and have a plain door?
It would be useful to know the balance of the property as it exists.

If you are having work on a porch I assume you keeping that in line with the property.

Do you have a photo of the sort of porch you mean? That is probably the place to begin if this is to be your new front door rather than the "internal" one.

MayBee70 Fri 24-Mar-23 00:56:41

SporeRB

How about a composite door with clear glass as your front door and a wooden door with 1960s contemporary stained glass as your internal porch door?

This company make internal doors with stained glass.
www.stained-glass-studio.co.uk

The doors of my dreams on that site!

MayBee70 Fri 24-Mar-23 00:46:49

Annapops

My front door is over 30 years old ( I do have upvc on front porch). I wanted rid but as it was solid and excellent quality DH decided to sand it down and paint it bright red (still white inside) as it had been a very boring white, originally oak varnished. The brass fittings were changed to steel. I absolutely love it as it looks so cheerful. My house is one of those 70's builds too. It definitely makes my home look more attractive.

I love your door! That’s a real proper happy making door!

MayBee70 Fri 24-Mar-23 00:45:22

SporeRB

How about a composite door with clear glass as your front door and a wooden door with 1960s contemporary stained glass as your internal porch door?

The internal door is all glass and I may keep that. Before I had the porch built it was the main front door. Just a Yale lock ( I was always worried about locking myself out when the children were little) and with thin glass. I go away quite a lot so I don’t want people to be able to see an accumulation of post when I’m away. We also, prior to having a utility room built, had an equally insecure back door. Several of us had the same lock and I sometimes used to ask one of my neighbours to nip in and do something for me. I went into town with my (ex) husband one day and realised I’d left something in the oven so phoned up a neighbour to ask him to take it out. On the way back my ex said, as we drove up the road, ‘why did Roger just wink at you?’ One of my dogs ate the back door. I only recently had it repaired, assuming that any other dogs would do the same. I obviously have a problem with doors! I’ll check out that company, though. I did drive past a beautiful stained glass door today and thought about knocking on it and asking the occupants where they got it from. I’m currently at my partners house and although he has upvc doors the neighbours on both sides have the original front doors with beautiful 1920’s stained glass. I’m so envious.

SporeRB Fri 24-Mar-23 00:04:16

Jackiest Thu 23-Mar-23 21:40:21

The only thing I would say is please think of the poor postman and put the letter box where they can reach it and not down on the ground.

Annapops Thu 23-Mar-23 21:34:04

My front door is over 30 years old ( I do have upvc on front porch). I wanted rid but as it was solid and excellent quality DH decided to sand it down and paint it bright red (still white inside) as it had been a very boring white, originally oak varnished. The brass fittings were changed to steel. I absolutely love it as it looks so cheerful. My house is one of those 70's builds too. It definitely makes my home look more attractive.

Forsythia Thu 23-Mar-23 21:23:01

We had new doors recently. We had a colour on the outside but kept to white inside so it didn’t look dark. Ours is called a Solidor. We have nice brass fittings on it. They have lots of styles to look at online. Why not have a browse to see what you like.

MayBee70 Thu 23-Mar-23 21:18:37

At some point this year I’m having my porch rebuilt. This time with brick. The wood and glass structure isn’t fit for purpose. I’ve wanted a nice front door for nearly fifty years. I know the sort of front door I dream of but it isn’t suitable for my boring 60/70’s box of a house. My dream door would be wood with beautiful original stained glass. And a knocker. But it will have to be composite. And fit in with the style of house along with its horrible brown paintwork. I’m currently looking at front doors everywhere we go ( thankfully I’m not driving). I don’t like pretend stained glass. Given that the house is so boring I might replace the garage door at some point and go with a colour that I could use for that, too, which probably rules out light green, although that would lighten and go with the brown windows. I’d love a door that I can put a wreath on at Christmas. I’ve got so many things wrong with my house I can’t mess this up. I’ve read that when people look to buy a house they go for doors painted Oxford blue, although I am a lover of everything black. I’ve always wanted one of those white cottagey looking doors with just a tiny square window in them but I don’t think that would work ( although I might replace the inner door with one like that). Any ideas would be most welcome. It’s such a boring house I’d love to have something that will make my heart sing when I arrive home!