Gransnet forums

House and home

Carpet cleaner recommendations?

(16 Posts)
eddiecat78 Sun 23-Jul-23 10:16:51

I have an elderly Bissel carpet cleaner which is ok but not as good as it was so I am thinking about replacing it - I'm talking about the ones you push like an ordinary vacuum cleaner not small handheld ones. Good Housekeeping recommends a Vax but there are several reviews on Amazon saying it broke quickly.
Any thoughts?
One of my gripes with my Bissell is that it is virtually impossible to clean the water tank afterwards

Theexwife Sun 23-Jul-23 10:58:58

GTech is always my go-to, they make a carpet sweeper and a vacuum cleaner that look very similar both very good.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 23-Jul-23 11:40:02

Have had my Vax carpet cleaner for over 10 years, never had a problem with it, cleans carpets well and doesn’t soak them.

eddiecat78 Sun 23-Jul-23 11:55:15

Theexwife

GTech is always my go-to, they make a carpet sweeper and a vacuum cleaner that look very similar both very good.

To clarify - I meant carpet shampooers rather than vacuums

ayse Sun 23-Jul-23 12:06:00

You can get reconditioned VAX on EBay. I’ve been thinking about buying one

atlantaveteran Mon 30-Oct-23 21:09:33

eddiecat78

I have an elderly Bissel carpet cleaner which is ok but not as good as it was so I am thinking about replacing it - I'm talking about the ones you push like an ordinary vacuum cleaner not small handheld ones. Good Housekeeping recommends a Vax but there are several reviews on Amazon saying it broke quickly.
Any thoughts?
One of my gripes with my Bissell is that it is virtually impossible to clean the water tank afterwards

It's essential to consider both expert recommendations and user reviews when choosing a carpet cleaner. While Good Housekeeping recommends a Vax, the negative Amazon reviews raise concerns about its durability. To address your issue with cleaning the water tank, research models with user-friendly maintenance features, and read more reviews for insight into long-term performance and ease of use before making a decision.
atlanta.veterancarpetcleaning.com/

Witzend Mon 30-Oct-23 21:23:46

I’ve had a Vax for years too, and it’s always been fine.

Barleysugar Mon 30-Oct-23 21:38:35

We always use Astonish Carpet & Upholstery cleaner, & find it very successful. The Range seems this be the cheapest shop to buy it in.

crazyH Mon 30-Oct-23 21:59:56

I feel it is both cost and labour effective to ask a professional Carpet Cleaner to give you an estimate. I doubt it will be more than £30-£35 per room .

Chestnut Tue 31-Oct-23 00:16:24

I have just bought this Vax with two other people and we will share it, so very cost-effective! It's not very heavy and seems easy enough to fill and empty the water containers.
Vax Rapid Power Revive Upright Carpet Cleaner
Just spotted it's gone down from £160 to £140 !! 😒

J52 Tue 31-Oct-23 01:52:05

I’ve had a Vax carpet cleaner for years. It’s a simple version and easy to use.

Legg7e Thu 16-Nov-23 19:39:33

Fairy liquid,the green one is good

Tenko Thu 16-Nov-23 19:43:48

I’m on my second vax carpet cleaner . The first lasted 12 years .

Esmay Thu 16-Nov-23 21:03:51

I had an old Bissell , which gave the carpets one hell of a scrub .
And then a Vax .
It was a joy in that it sucked up most of the excess water .
It certainly isn't as well built and durable as the old Bissell .

I like 1001 carpet shampoo mixed in with some Zoflora to disinfect and deodorise the carpets .

cornergran Thu 16-Nov-23 21:15:47

Our first huge and heavy Vax carpet cleaner lasted nearly 15 years and saw us through two messy sons and the final, incontinent, years of our dog. The current, smaller and lighter Vax is in its tenth year, as good as it was on year one.

bikergran Thu 16-Nov-23 22:00:51

If I am right ( I may be wrong) it won't be the first time!

But I don't think you can put "Fairy Liquid" in the tank. Unless your talking about some other form of Fairy Liquid hmm