Gransnet forums

House and home

Mould on bathroom ceiling

(36 Posts)
ExDancer Thu 07-Sep-23 10:52:29

We've lived here for 60 years, it was newly built when we moved in, and have always struggled with mould on the bathroom ceiling. I partly blame my DH for not opening the window when he has a shower though I don't think its 100% his fault.
I have used various mould remover sprays like Flash and Mr Muscle etc, (I think I've tried them all over the years) but it returns.
Is there any paint that will reduce this problem? We are in our 80s now and too frail for all this reaching and scrubbing of ceilings.

aggie Thu 07-Sep-23 10:55:25

You need a fan to expel the steam , mould is very bad for your health

Grannynannywanny Thu 07-Sep-23 11:03:08

I had this problem last year on my bathroom ceiling due to a leaking roof. I removed it with a blob of thick bleach on a cloth. A friend recommended this method and to be honest I was a little sceptical. It removed it in seconds.

I left it a few days then applied a layer of damp proof paint I bought in B&Q. Then a coat of white emulsion over the entire ceiling. That was over a year ago and it remains fine. Sorry, I can’t remember the name of the paint but I’m sure a member of staff will advise you.

Jaxjacky Thu 07-Sep-23 11:17:59

This paint maybe?
www.rawlinspaints.com/home/hygiene-coatings/mould-damp-proof-paints/510-zinsser-perma-white-interior.html#:~:text=Zinsser%20Perma%2DWhite%20paint%20is,changes%20and%20poor%20air%20circulation.

VB000 Thu 07-Sep-23 11:23:24

Yes bleach will take it off - I used a mop!

Agree, Zinsser paints are great - had the same problem. Topcoat with a bathroom paint and that should keep it at bay.

In general, it's best to ventilate after use, either open a window or install an extractor fan.

karmalady Thu 07-Sep-23 11:25:46

You need to fix the source and there could well be a leak above the ceiling, just a drip drip from an insufficient exhaust fan or a drip from the sewage ventilation pipe, not sewage but condensation along the inside of the vent, sewer gases are warm and hold moisture. Send someone up to have a look to rule those out first

If the insulation above is dry then the mould is likely to be surface mould from insufficient ventilation, which is easily fixed via a window or wall vent. Don`t use cover-up paint yet as this will only mask the problem and not get rid of the source

It is an easily fixable solution

Squiffy Thu 07-Sep-23 12:30:42

Our bathroom window is open all day every day and the trickle vent is open 24 hours a day, but we still get small dots of mould on the ceiling. I put diluted bleach into a spray bottle and aim the spray at the ceiling.

It works well, but I would just mention that there’s obviously some drift, so, if you decide to try it, wear old clothes, a shower hat, glasses and a mask! ⛑ 👓 🥽

V3ra Thu 07-Sep-23 13:18:15

As well as opening all the upstairs windows for ventilation, have you thought of buying a dehumidifier?
We have one on the landing and it removes an amazing amount of water from the air in the bedrooms and the bathroom.
It's especially useful when the weather is damp outside or it's just too cold to leave the windows open for very long.

nanna8 Thu 07-Sep-23 14:47:36

I would use bleach, too,though someone , sometime told me that just masks it and the nasty spores are still there.

LauraNorderr Thu 07-Sep-23 15:10:06

Once you’ve dealt with the immediate problem, a plant or two in the bathroom will help to absorb moisture and purify the air. Peace plants are ideal.

ParlorGames Thu 07-Sep-23 15:17:26

I cannot have an extractor fan fitted in the bathroom due to the position of a lintel above the window and adjacent walls each side. I get round the moisture problem with three dehumidifiers, an Aero 360 sits on the window ledge and there are two other refillable devices bought from Lakeland strategically placed on the bathroom floor. The window is opened slightly after taking a shower and there's no evidence of mould at all - being doing it this way for several years.

Stargazer7 Fri 08-Sep-23 20:40:58

I found the Cillit Bang spray worked on my ceiling (later got roof fixed) and like earlier poster said, cover your nose and mouth, it’s strong stuff.

NotSpaghetti Sat 09-Sep-23 06:58:33

Environmental health told me neat thick bleach on a sponge years ago (but leave windows open and door closed till the smell has gone).

It will kill all mould and spores it can get to (but if the mould has put deep roots down it will come back).
Once gone however you can at least deal with it to keep it at bay.

Definitely fit an extractor fan.

NotSpaghetti Sat 09-Sep-23 06:59:28

BTW... it doesn't seem to damage the paint.

1summer Sat 09-Sep-23 09:51:37

I had a few spots of mould on my bathroom ceiling. So the other day I used my Flash speed mop, put on a damp cloth with a tiny bit of bleach and rubbed over. Was worried it might turn emulsion yellow but seems fine and mould gone.

Devorgilla Sat 09-Sep-23 12:14:01

A store like Lakeland has extendable scrubbers designed to get into corners. You could even do it sitting down. Well worth the investment.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 09-Sep-23 12:19:20

Mould is bad for your health, and will cause a problem should you want to sell the house.

Do get estimates from Rentokil or some such firm, or at least from a good builder and have the problem solved once and for all.

You may still be able to either get a grant to solve the problem, or a tax rebate as mould is a health hazard - a builder should be able to advise you on this.

Hetty58 Sat 09-Sep-23 12:24:04

Condensation always settles on the coldest surfaces, so I'd be looking at having extra insulation above that ceiling. Fans can be fitted in ceilings, too, with vents outside, under the eaves.

Vintagegirl Sun 10-Sep-23 11:37:52

Open windows fully before taking a shower so moist air keeps moving. Keep partially open at other times.
Do be careful of fumes of bleach etc.
Black mould is nasty stuff and can cause a serious lung condition.
If possible check the insulation in the roof over the mould spot, it might be deficient and hence creates a cold spot at that part of ceiling.

Lovetravel Sun 10-Sep-23 12:12:48

We used this absolutely brilliant!

SewnSew Sun 10-Sep-23 12:28:11

As a landlord I have had this problem many times and always remind tenants (a) to open windows in bathrooms and (b) not to leave wet washing around unless there is an open window. I always ask them where they think the water goes!

Welshy Sun 10-Sep-23 13:06:34

Astonish mould and mildew spray. It's only around £1 a bottle. Does the job for me. I also use a dehumidifier to dry my washing when I can't put it outside. But as others have said look for the source.

Pattie47 Sun 10-Sep-23 17:35:11

I strongly recommend to use a dehumidifier ....not IN the bathroom obviously but if you left the door open & any bedroom doors open you will be surprised how they help with dampness throughout the house. They dont use lots of electricity either. We are amazed with how much better our whole house feels....we leave ours on low perhaps twice week in the Autumn/Winter. The house feels much warmer too.

annodomini Sun 10-Sep-23 18:06:54

An efficient extractor fan would clear the steam and prevent the formation of mould. Newer houses are probably built with extractors installed, but it's possible to retro-fit. My previous house, a late-Victorian end-terrace had one and the bathroom was clear of mould.

Coolgran65 Sun 10-Sep-23 19:25:38

We have a dehumidifier fitted in the ceiling on our landing. It looks like a white circular dish lampshade. The workings are in the loft. Brilliant.
It was in the house when we bought it two years ago.