Gransnet forums

House and home

Claims that Sainsburys are more expensive than Waitrose

(55 Posts)
RosiesMaw Sat 07-Oct-23 08:00:09

This shocked me - not whether or not Sainsbugs or Waitrose is more expensive - we all have our personal preferences, and it depends so much on what you use a supermarket for and whether like me you go for the yellow stickers.
But it was the definition of a “big shop”-
Take a deep breath

“Top shops Prices compared”
Sainsbury’s
£359.23

Waitrose
£355.51

Tesco
£350.41

Ocado
£349.79

Morrisons
£332.22

Asda
£325.71
(Based on a trolley of 131 items analysed by Which?) Unfortunately it doesn’t specify which 131 items. Smoked salmon? Malt whisky? Sourdough bread?
It surely can’t be for a weekly shop ?
Call me out of date but even for a pre-Christmas shop (excluding the turkey and wine) I have never, as far as I can remember, rung up a bill of £350+ and if not Christmas, not even in the days when there were 5 of us.

Am I really so out of touch with reality?

Rachel75 Sat 07-Oct-23 08:03:36

Sainsbugs ?!

RosiesMaw Sat 07-Oct-23 08:05:03

Rachel75

Sainsbugs ?!

A nickname they acquired back in the days of listening to Sarah Kennedy on Radio 2.

Rachel75 Sat 07-Oct-23 08:07:48

TerriBull Sat 07-Oct-23 08:12:54

You really have to be signed up to "Nectar" price deals to get the best deal from Sainsburys.

RosiesMaw Sat 07-Oct-23 08:13:41

Ele Clark, of Which?, said: “As millions struggle with increased food prices and other high household bills, it is no surprise that many are turning to discounters for their food shop. Our latest research shows that once again Aldi is the cheapest supermarket for a basket of groceries but for the first time, Sainsbury’s has come out as the most expensive for a big shop

It seems there may be mixed messages or crossed wires at Which?
But my point about a “big shop” remains, whether anybody objects to Sainsbugs or not, you know who I mean.

kittylester Sat 07-Oct-23 08:14:53

That is a blinking big 'big shop'!!

Marmin Sat 07-Oct-23 08:23:26

One person's big shop is another person's nightmare! My son used to work in a local supermarket about fifteen years ago. Once a fortnight a couple came in and spent between £1500 and £2000 every time. There were quite a few bottles.

Jaxjacky Sat 07-Oct-23 08:25:19

Part of the survey was a smaller shop of 39 items in which Waitrose was the most expensive and Sainsbury’s fourth.

Rachel75 Sat 07-Oct-23 08:25:56

TerriBull

You really have to be signed up to "Nectar" price deals to get the best deal from Sainsburys.

That’s true of Tesco clubcard deals too. No Aldi or Lidl near here - so don’t know if they have loyalty offers - probably not?

Grandmabatty Sat 07-Oct-23 08:39:14

As far as I know, Aldi don't offer discounts as it is already a discount store so doesn't do loyalty offers. I shop in Aldi most weeks. If that's the price of a weekly shop, I'm doing well! It's rather grim though for families if they have to spend that every week.

fancythat Sat 07-Oct-23 08:47:18

I think supermarket prices are getting closer together as a whole.

harrigran Sat 07-Oct-23 09:02:58

I have found Morrisons to be more expensive than Sainsbury's, certainly with the items I buy regularly.
I certainly do not spend £350 on a weekly shop, usually about £130.

Mollygo Sat 07-Oct-23 09:04:25

Lidl have offers if you have their card. Sainsburys definitely do, although when I was there yesterday, their Lurpack was £2.50, price matched with Aldi whether you had a card or not.

MaizieD Sat 07-Oct-23 09:08:40

It would have been more helpful if Which had detailed what was in this 'basket'.

Boz Sat 07-Oct-23 09:09:51

I have a weekly click and collect from Sainsburys and finding them very cheap with Nectar card. As said, Lurpak £2,50 this week - last week boxes of Roses or Celebrations for £4,

JaneJudge Sat 07-Oct-23 09:13:42

There are 3 of us at home and a dog and it’s well over £100 minus alcohol and I cook every night and it includes lunches and breakfasts. When our older son is home it can be nearer £200 a week. We don’t eat like Gods but we are not short of food/living off tins either. We mainly shop at Tesco

TerriBull Sat 07-Oct-23 09:36:30

Rachel75

TerriBull

That’s true of Tesco clubcard deals too. No Aldi or Lidl near here - so don’t know if they have loyalty offers - probably not?

Yes this is true, whilst away in separate weeks, Devon and Wales our nearest big supermarket in both places was Tesco and they are exactly the same, advantageous prices for their club card holders. It makes sense to subscribe to their schemes if you are a regular consumer at either.

I shop between Sainsbury and Waitrose, the latter does have their offers too. In my town we are waiting for an under construction Aldi to open, all three supermarkets will be adjacent to each other. I'll be spreading my custom between the three

As others have stated that would be one humongous shop, whose basket was it The Radfords ??.

Glorianny Sat 07-Oct-23 09:49:22

I don't think £350 a week is a lot for 131 items. Less than £3 per item and some things like wash powder, loo paper, meat etc will cost much more than £3
I shop on line at Sainsburys, their prices have gone up, but they have a lot of special offers, nectar prices and matching Aldi prices,so I try to go for those. Delivery is cheap-only £!

Oreo Sat 07-Oct-23 10:48:36

If you want really cheap you can’t beat Aldi or Lidl.
All the other Supermarkets have their good points tho.
I buy most things from Aldi now but still like certain products from all the others, to pop in for a few bits.If you have Tesco or Sainsbury card, remember you get points for buying petrol.

Theexwife Sat 07-Oct-23 11:35:05

Morrisons is third after Waitrose and Ocado which is unfortunate for me as it is the most convenient to where I live. I use Tesco as I like the convenience of getting everything in one place.

Susie42 Sat 07-Oct-23 13:51:58

I shop between M & S, Sainsburys, and Aldi buying the items I like from them. I don't usually buy meat or fish from any of them as I have a good butcher and fishmonger locally, I just wish I could find a decent greengrocer as all our local ones have closed.

M0nica Sat 07-Oct-23 14:07:45

The list of items on the list are not a list of goods that make up a traditional weekly shop. they are a list of items bought regulalry by customers, which is not at all the same thing.

Here is a link to the explanation Which? gives www.which.co.uk/reviews/supermarkets/article/supermarket-price-comparison-aPpYp9j1MFin#how

Nannarose Sat 07-Oct-23 14:20:44

There is full information on Which (I don't know how much is available to non-subscribers). They also do a smaller 'basket' comparison that includes the discounters.
One reason the 'big shop' appears expensive is that, for comparison purposes they use branded items. The 'basket' uses own brands.

I don't shop regularly at supermarkets. I buy from markets, independent shops, farm gates and a wholefood co-operative. Once a month or so, I get tea, oats and a few other bits at our local Co-op (which is a supermarket, not convenience store). I do occasionally shop at a supermarket (usually when some minor family emergency means I need to get a load of stuff quickly, or I take someone who needs a lift to get there) and am shocked at the prices.

Actually, we do eat very well indeed - good quality, healthy food, almost all cooked from scratch. 2 of us most of the time, most weeks at least one meal for 4.
Leaving out alcohol (which I think fair) and evened out across the year, we spend £125 a week.
I have a small raised bed that gives us lettuce in the summer, spinach in the winter and a few other bits, but we don't grow much apart from herbs. We pick blackberries and mushrooms, and are usually given apples & pears. I buy / barter for game cheaply in season as well. I freeze and preserve quite a bit - and honestly have not considered how much fuel factors into this. Living in a rural area helps - our farmers' market are not overpriced like some I have seen on my travels!

M0nica Sat 07-Oct-23 15:20:52

Since every supermarket has own brands, I really do not understand why they cannot take into account the cheapest version of a product in a supermarket at the time of the survey

If there is a special offer on Heinz then take that, but if the own brand is cheaper, use that.