Gransnet forums

House and home

Vertical blinds or Horizontal blinds

(47 Posts)
MamGu12 Tue 17-Oct-23 20:43:51

That’s it really always had Vertical ones but they are years old and I am finding them very difficult to clean so looking to replace them ,so any thoughts ladies on which ones , thanks .

Skydancer Tue 17-Oct-23 20:55:36

Venetian are definitely on trend.

MamGu12 Tue 17-Oct-23 20:57:18

Sorry senior moment !! It’s Vertical I have not Horizontal so looking for advice on which to replace do I stay with same or go different sorry to confuse you all .

livelylady Tue 17-Oct-23 21:20:42

We have a mixture of blinds.
Our latest are wooden venetian and new style verticals without the bottom chains which could get broken in past years.
One thing I find difficult in older age is cleaning the top portion of vertical blinds. So the dust just lies there nowadays as I don't climb steps. How about a roller blind or 'night and day' shadow blind?

livelylady Tue 17-Oct-23 21:22:13

Sorry I meant the top of venetians are difficult to clean!!

Doodle Tue 17-Oct-23 21:23:30

I’ve had vertical blinds in lounge and Venetian in bedrooms and kitchen. I hate cleaning Venetian blinds and could never get them to look anything but dusty even after washing. After struggling for years DH suggested getting rid of them. We replaced them with electric roller blinds. Not cheap but what joy. No hanging cords and the blinds go up and down with the press of a button. So impressed I’m changing my vertical blinds in the lounge next.
Vertical blinds tent to blow around in the wind if you have the window open

Doodle Tue 17-Oct-23 21:24:37

Meant to add we have two blinds on each window. A voile one that lets in light but stops others seeing in and a night time blackout one.

SpringyChicken Tue 17-Oct-23 21:30:38

If you decide to stay with vertical blinds, and if the header unit (can’t think of the correct term) is still good, you can buy replacement slats, weights and chains. Some people like a combination of coloured slats.

Joseann Tue 17-Oct-23 21:31:35

Duorol. Stylish and very practical.

Grannmarie Tue 17-Oct-23 21:47:52

👋 Hello, MamGul2. I have had both venetian and verticals over the years.

Venetians were murder to clean, I ended up getting a company to take them away and clean them. The verticals I had were machine washable on delicate, much easier to clean. Rehang straight from the machine with the windows open, dry in no time.

Now I have Roman blinds downstairs, no curtains, and blackout rollers upstairs, clean with a long handled feather duster, wonderful!

Sago Wed 18-Oct-23 07:32:32

Vertical/ horizontal blinds may be practical but I think they are more suited to an office.
Why not have good quality Roman or roller blinds made, they are much softer looking?

M0nica Wed 18-Oct-23 08:13:51

As far as I am concerned, I am not thst keen on ventian blinds. However I have ventian blinds in the bathroom as an alternative to obscured glass, I am obsessed with being able to see out of units. No hassle cleaning, I just run a duster betweenthe slats every few months.

I agree that horizontal blinds look like an office when on a window, but we have wall to wall, wall to ceiling windows/french doors in our south facing kitchen and need curtaining of some kind to cut out the light and heat in the height of summer and vertical blinds were the only solution. They are in a soft sage green, which helps de-office them, but curtains would have looked didiculous andordinary blinds would have got in the way of the doors. Horses for courses.

Norah Thu 19-Oct-23 15:19:13

Along the entire length of the back of our house has been added tall windows and sets of glass doors (a conservatory of sorts, part to where there was a back wall). I'm not fond of vertical blinds - we have electric Roman blinds that flatten up high in each widow unit. Easy, clean, no cords.

DamaskRose Thu 19-Oct-23 15:52:12

I don’t like blinds of any sort, the look or the cleaning of them. I wish we didn’t need them. Sorry, that’s no help OP!

Thisismyname1953 Thu 19-Oct-23 17:33:34

@joseanne , we have those duorol blinds in our kitchen/diner , both on the large kitchen window and on the patio doors . They are versatile. We keep them rolled up mainly in the summer and then fully down in the winter with them open by day and closed by night .

Joseann Thu 19-Oct-23 17:38:37

Yes, the good thing is that in the open position, you can see out but no one can see in!

Nagmad2016 Sun 22-Oct-23 11:17:53

Neither. I would opt for shutters every time. I used to have both vertical and horizontal blinds and they were a real pain to clean and handle. I have had shutters fitted by a well known company and the benefits far outweigh the cost. They also act as a good insulator. It does depend on the siting of the window, eg. does the space allow for the blinds to be folded back against a wall, or recess. Although they cost a little more, depending on the window size, I would always opt for these now.

DeeDe Sun 22-Oct-23 11:19:09

We’ve got rid of ours, gone back to nets at the front, don’t need anything at the rear as not overlooked
Apparently Net curtains are making a come back, you can have a change with nets and I must say they do look lovely especially
In the bedroom, very cosy, same as French doors are replacing patio doors, another thing we’ve been thinking of doing
Didn’t answer your question sorry 😞

grandMattie Sun 22-Oct-23 11:22:01

Hate both. Much rather have nets and/or roller blinds. You can get roller blinds which have both incorporated.

Grantanow Sun 22-Oct-23 11:22:27

If you don't like nets you could have lace - large lace tablecloths are often available in junk/antique shops. They can be reworked as curtains.

Norah Sun 22-Oct-23 11:53:42

Lace is quite lovely and obscures so well.

dogsmother Sun 22-Oct-23 11:56:06

Shutters all the way for me. I think they are called plantation shutters. I love mine, simplest and easiest ever.

Nannyknee Sun 22-Oct-23 12:28:17

Shutters are wonderful. Easy to clean and also no messy chains or pullies.

Georgesgran Sun 22-Oct-23 13:24:55

Like Sago I think some, but especially vertical blinds are more suited to office/industrial use. I’ve replaced curtains with roller blinds in all but one of my bedrooms now, as I’ve odd shapes and sizes. Both DD’s have electric blinds - the DGSs think it’s magic that closes them!

Cagsy Sun 22-Oct-23 13:55:09

Monica we have bifold doors on our kitchen/diner and recently bought venetian blinds that fit into each window so they don't hang but move with the window. They're very neat and are hardly noticeable when they're closed up but great at keeping the sun from blinding us at certain times of day.