Gransnet forums

House and home

Pillows

(23 Posts)
Dawn62 Sat 28-Oct-23 19:18:55

Hi,i need some new pillows again,forever buying them but never happy with them,can anyone share some good pillow advice please.I cant get on with memory foam pillows,i read up on all the pillows first and always think these sound amazing but just end up the same disappointment.I have tried mid price,expensive brand names never happy.

Primrose53 Sat 28-Oct-23 19:29:09

Best ones I bought were from Aldi. Zip off quilted covers and you can remove stuffing to suit the individual. Breathable edges on pillows. Very comfy.

silverlining48 Sat 28-Oct-23 19:31:39

I sm fussy snout pillows and my Favourite pillows came from Aldi too

karmalady Sat 28-Oct-23 19:36:21

I have tried all types, side sleeper so I need some height. I am using firm down pillows and stuffed them into woolroom pillow covers, which have wool in them. So far so good and I am sleeping well

Coolgran65 Sat 28-Oct-23 20:04:37

I am a side sleeper and also read in bed, on my side. I also have a neck issue.
The best ever is the shaped memory foam knee pillow. I paid just under £20 in Asda. It is perfect for me and it goes on holiday with me.

maytime2 Sun 29-Oct-23 08:41:43

I have always used latex pillows. They are quite firm but are not hard. I'm finding it difficult to describe them, sorry. They last for years and years. They are not cheap, I bought one in the John Lewis sale back in the summer and paid £80 as opposed to £150 full price.

Poodlemom Thu 23-Nov-23 14:53:41

My problem is not so much finding the right pillow but finding pillow cases that fit. I have a comfy Dorma pillow but it's huge and there are no pillowcases to fit. Grrr! Can't understand if a company manufactures a larger size pillow, no-one comes up with a matching size case.

MerylStreep Thu 23-Nov-23 14:57:50

Poodlemom
Do you know someone with a sewing machine. They’re very simple to make.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 23-Nov-23 15:02:13

Mine are from The White Company - super king size like the bed and they do same size pillow cases and pillow protectors. I have polyester or latex filling as down isn’t good for my asthma (and I would hate to unwittingly support the cruelty of live plucking).

Primrose53 Thu 23-Nov-23 15:55:03

I will shortly be returning an Anti Snore pillow to Argos. It’s Silentnight and not very comfy.

PinkCosmos Thu 23-Nov-23 16:13:02

I can highly recommend Soak and Sleep's Supremely Soft as Down pillows in the firm.

We first came across them in a hotel whilst on holiday.

They are so comfortable. We have had ours for a couple of years now and they do not go flat.

I have recommended them to friends who have also been happy with them.

They are on a Black Friday deal

www.soakandsleep.com/soft-as-down-chamber-pillows-4-pack-standard-medium-firm.html

tanith Thu 23-Nov-23 17:05:46

I buy down pillows from Dunelm .

Kim19 Thu 23-Nov-23 17:10:35

Thank you PinkCosmos. I came on this site just for a 'wee nosey' and ended up buying some pillows. Blimey....... but....thanks.

LadyGracie Thu 23-Nov-23 17:28:13

I bought 2 for £9 from Dunelm they're lovely.

PoppyFlower Thu 23-Nov-23 17:32:46

East of Eden Like duck and down. They are used in posh holiday cottages and boutique hotels. It's where I sourced my latest pillow!

PoppyFlower Thu 23-Nov-23 17:33:41

Nb: it's Out of Eden!

Greyisnotmycolour Thu 23-Nov-23 17:43:39

I use a memory foam pillow but with a standard down pillow on top. I find this works well. The memory foam pillow doesn't move so it provides both height and a firm base and the top pillow provides the comfort .

Squiffy Thu 23-Nov-23 17:48:33

Buckwheat husk pillows for us! So comfortable! You can adjust the amount of filling to suit. They’re cool in summer. We bought them from Razzmatazz (Perfect Pillows). Not cheap, but they last for years.

CanadianGran Thu 23-Nov-23 17:50:04

I found pillows with feather centre, and down outer layer. I love them. They were fairly expensive, but still fine after years of use. Pure down can be too soft, pure feather too pokey.

Ailidh Thu 23-Nov-23 17:53:48

I've just bought two Slumberdown wool pillows. I've had a wool duvet for a while, and bought the pillows and a wool mattress topper in the sales. Two nights' use - bliss so far.

PinkCosmos Fri 24-Nov-23 08:58:47

Kim19

Thank you PinkCosmos. I came on this site just for a 'wee nosey' and ended up buying some pillows. Blimey....... but....thanks.

I am sure you won't be disappointed.

I have recommended them to so many people. They have all been very happy with them.

I should be on commission grin.

Just for info, they are microfibre so not feather etc. The firm ones have a gusset, the soft ones don't.

shysal Fri 24-Nov-23 09:58:17

I was sent a free Dormeo Octaspring pillow with a mattress topper and I now wouldn't use any other type. It is part memory foam but not hot at all. It is as heavy as a brick but so comfortable! No more sore ears or stiff neck! They are not cheap, but there are some reduced price ones away from the Dormeo site.
Good luck with your search.

Poodlemom Fri 24-Nov-23 16:27:45

I've found a Lancashire company that do "made to meaure" so I might try them: English Bed Linen Company. My friend with a sewing machine is too busy to ask a favour of!