Gransnet forums

House and home

Has anyone made a lampshade and could advise me?

(11 Posts)
JaneJudge Sun 29-Oct-23 09:12:29

Is it easier to buy a kit or can you just cover an old lampshade?
any tips?
I am thinking it can't be too difficult

Joseann Sun 29-Oct-23 09:20:05

I have tried my hand at this. Firstly don't use everyday paint on the lampshade fabric, you need the special stuff. Sprays are good to cover the whole area if you have a steady hand, otherwise it streaks. The best spraying job I did was to spray gold on the INSIDE of a big lampshade to make a lovely glow on the wall. That's another thing, keep the colours you use light and reflective. I made a big mess with a dark grey, no light got through.

M0nica Sun 29-Oct-23 09:24:03

There are some very good tutorials on YouTube.

Bella23 Sun 29-Oct-23 10:39:49

I made lampshades many moons ago at craft classes. It was from scratch with parchment covered in fabric using the two metal rings from the original. Very fiddly and you have to be very neat to tuck the fabric around the rings using copydex.
We also made what we called Tiffany shades, one very small ring at the top a large one at the bottom and a long piece of fabric sewn down the seam then pleated to fit the top and bottom ring with fine elastic.
I saw the easiest update in a magazine the other day thick ricrack braid glued in a contrasting colour around the bottom rim or bobbles stuck on the inside of a large shade to hang at the bottom.

JaneJudge Sun 29-Oct-23 11:04:50

which magazine was this in Bella?

Monica I never thought to look on youtube blush

NotSpaghetti Sun 29-Oct-23 11:09:08

My mother .adequate our lampshades - fiddly and curved flutes! I re-covered one in the 70s and it was very slow. You wrapped binding over all the wires, each segment had a pattern. Each piece of fabric was sewn onto the binding along every wire. And when all that was done it still needed trimmings to cover the seams.
I think I copydexed those on.

I made a "rustic" shade to match my daughter's curtains much later using the "gathering up a tube" method which took minutes! I didn't bother lining it

Here's the sort I mean (below). I washed the frame but didn't respray or cover it. I just sewed a tube really. It was much less bulky than this one.

youtu.be/he_GW2Pgi9M?feature=shared

NotSpaghetti Sun 29-Oct-23 11:10:00

*adequate??
Sorry,
Should read "made all"

JaneJudge Sun 29-Oct-23 15:42:15

Thank you NotSpaghetti that video is awesome!

NotSpaghetti Sun 29-Oct-23 17:37:08

Here's a no sew version Jane!!

youtu.be/W_xZJs1MQu0?feature=shared

NotSpaghetti Sun 29-Oct-23 17:37:37

Makes me wonder why I spent hours on this!!

MerylStreep Sun 29-Oct-23 17:43:56

Jane YouTube is the worlds library 😄 It’s my go to for everything.
I the past week I’ve been looking at the best lower denture, narcissism, sewing with velvet and satin ( together)