Gransnet forums

House and home

Putting the clocks back - creating a time-wasting job

(7 Posts)
JackyB Sun 29-Oct-23 10:53:03

Most of our clocks are radio-controlled or connected to the internet and have automatically changed in the night.

Our solid German house has shutters on all windows to which DH fitted electric motors many years ago (when he was fit and strong). These things are on timers. He has just spent nearly an hour going round changing first the time, then the times for raising and lowering the shutters at all the windows. I would just have left them. No one looks at them to find out what the time is - so what if they are an hour out between October and March?. I think it's a ridiculous waste of time.

I think there may be things I do which are a similar waste of time - at least they would be in his eyes. - so I daren't say anything!

Time-wasting is obviously a subjective affair.

Don't know where I'm going with this. Perhaps I'm wasting my time!

RosiesMaw Sun 29-Oct-23 11:06:00

You do of course have that extra hour to do it in!
It is much easier than back in the day when you had to manually change the boiler clock/the tv/the video recorder/ the answerphone/every alarm clock/ the microwave/the cooker clock/ the car clock/ your watch/ every wall clock/the grandfather clock if you had one!
Here’s some useful advice

Abitbarmy Sun 29-Oct-23 11:09:34

Some of my clocks have changed automatically but the kitchen one on the wall I need to do yet but haven’t..I keep thinking I’ll keep that hour up my sleeve for some point in the day when I most need it. Bonkers I know!

JaneJudge Sun 29-Oct-23 11:10:10

I think I'd leave the shutters too tbh Jacky. Do you have a German house in the UK? I am intrigued

I only had to change the time on the cooker smile everything else did it, itself

Auntieflo Sun 29-Oct-23 12:14:05

We had to change the time on the kitchen and lounge clocks, the microwave and cooker, all others do it by themselves.
Except that the cooker clock needs me to get out the manual to work out how to do it. After many years I still haven't learned.

Ah, the clock in the car needs to be done manually, which I find really strange, as our old car was clever and managed to do it automatically.🤔

Now away to change a light bulb in the cloakroom which blew last night.

Franbern Mon 30-Oct-23 09:11:30

I hate the clock changes. Yes, I know most do it themselves but I have four that requir manual change. My Oven, is only 18 month old, (So Ihave changed it alrady twice). Got out the manual, did not help at all, shouted at it, still stayed same time, went to u-tube, did not have my model. By now Ihad spent over half an hour on this machine. Decided to leave it at smmer time for next five months, poked finger at button to tell it and it all flashed and permitted me to change it. Now have to worry about changing it back next March,

Mirowave changed easily following manufactuers instructions, then to my lovely, westminster Chimes Wooden Wall clock in Living Room. This can ONLY be changed from the rear, so has to come down off the wall. Sadly, where I have been hanging it for the past four years, the plaster is poor and I have had increasing problems to find a hook that will stay on the wall for this clock to hang on.

Kept it down long enough to ensure that the chimes will still correct (actually had to wind it forward 23 hours to do this, using kitchen steps climbed up and hung it back on hook, down steps, just as it crashed down, knocking a picture frame off that wall, (this crashed down to the floor with glass everywhere, fortunately I managed to half save the clock and that was not damaged.

Have now put this clock onto a different wall, repaired the hook damage to that wall, and purchased a new picture frame/ I hate clock changes!!!!!!

Redhead56 Mon 30-Oct-23 09:16:23

My DH loves old clocks we have a lot of them I watched him waste a lot of time going around to alter them. I was thinking at the time life is too short I couldn’t be bothered 🙄