Gransnet forums

House and home

Smart Water Meter - Do you have one?

(52 Posts)
PestyOne Tue 16-Jan-24 18:25:54

I've had several emails from Severn Trent Water about installing a smart meter - I've deleted the emails as I don't want a smart meter or have the hassle of engineers needing access to my home.
I already have a water meter and send readings regularly to give accurate billing, so I don't see any point / benefit in me having one.

As far as I can tell, Severn Trent Water aren't making smart meters compulsory like some other companies in other areas.

Do you have a smart water meter - have you saved money or has it helped you to reduce usage?

I'm interested to hear GNs thoughts & opinions and not 'sales schpeel' from customer service representatives who will advise as per their company policies 😉

Oldnproud Tue 16-Jan-24 18:43:13

I can't imagine that having a smart water meter will make any difference whatsoever to your water usage and bills, given that you already have a non-smart meter, take readings and so are paying for your actual usage.

As long as you are happy to keep sending them readings, it doesn't seem worth the hassle of having it changed. I certainly wouldn't bother unless they were offering an incentive.

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Jan-24 18:51:28

We’ve had one for a couple of years, reduced our bills by about 10%.

Siope Tue 16-Jan-24 18:54:31

I have one. My water meter is at the far end of my front garden, which is a historical foible (the placement, not the house) and is surrounded by a fuchsia hedge, so tricky to access. My water company used to come annually to read it, we never bothered. Now they don’t even need to do that. We could, of course, check it if we wanted.

We weren’t given a choice, but it makes no odds to us, to be honest.

Siope Tue 16-Jan-24 18:56:09

It’s made no difference to our usage, which has always been very low.

PestyOne Tue 16-Jan-24 18:56:22

Jaxjacky

We’ve had one for a couple of years, reduced our bills by about 10%.

You've actually had a SMART WATER METER and not just an ordinary water meter?

How has it helped reduce usage compared to an ordinary water meter please?

welbeck Tue 16-Jan-24 18:59:36

i requested a water meter a couple of years ago, now saving over a half of what i paid previously.
it doesn't bother me, it's out on the footway, under the surface, with an inspection cover.
no idea how smart it is, but i don't have to do anything.
used to pay nearly £700 pa, now about £300.

PestyOne Tue 16-Jan-24 19:25:54

welbeck

i requested a water meter a couple of years ago, now saving over a half of what i paid previously.
it doesn't bother me, it's out on the footway, under the surface, with an inspection cover.
no idea how smart it is, but i don't have to do anything.
used to pay nearly £700 pa, now about £300.

I live alone and when the water meter was installed years back, I also saved quite a bit of money - currently paying £13 monthly based on meter readings.

I just don't understand how a supposed smart meter can reduce consumption compared to an ordinary water meter.

I might be a cynical old lady, but I can't help but think it's a bit 'big brother' - potential fines or penalties for watering plants during hose pipe bans and such like?

Pittcity Tue 16-Jan-24 19:27:29

Our water meters are in the pavement and were replaced with Smart Meters a couple of years ago. We had no choice. It has made no difference to us. It has just done the meter reader out of a job.

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Jan-24 19:30:49

PestyOne I’ve no idea, but not complaining.

PestyOne Tue 16-Jan-24 19:35:01

Jaxjacky

PestyOne I’ve no idea, but not complaining.

🤣😂🤣.
As it says on the TV advert - every little helps 👍

welbeck Tue 16-Jan-24 19:50:23

i can't see how even a smart meter could tell whether you were watering plants; i mean it's not a spy camera is it, and they are usually located under the surface, so no outlook.
i'm surprised they are asking you actually.
is in your property, do you have to read it ?

PestyOne Tue 16-Jan-24 19:58:03

welbeck

i can't see how even a smart meter could tell whether you were watering plants; i mean it's not a spy camera is it, and they are usually located under the surface, so no outlook.
i'm surprised they are asking you actually.
is in your property, do you have to read it ?

I currently have an ordinary water meter located inside a cupboard in my kitchen. I send Severn Trent the readings every 3 months or so (input onto online account), so my bills are accurate and based on actual consumption.

I've read that water companies can track / monitor seasonal usage and even daily readings can be taken automatically to forecast the area water needs and identify leaks?

The only advantage of a smart meter to me would be not reading the meter.

welbeck Tue 16-Jan-24 20:54:50

i can't see any disadvantage to the consumer.

welbeck Tue 16-Jan-24 20:56:39

I've read that water companies can track / monitor seasonal usage and even daily readings can be taken automatically to forecast the area water needs and identify leaks?

that all sounds good to me.
what's the problem, apart from the temporary inconvenience of fitting it.
surprised it is inside your house; round here they are all outside, on the public footway.

welbeck Tue 16-Jan-24 20:57:09

or rather, under it !

Whiff Thu 18-Jan-24 15:18:24

Where I used to live I was under Severn Trent water. I lived alone it cost me over £160 a month in 2019 when I left to live in the north west. It's all water meters in my area. I only pay just over £28 a month. It's made a vast difference to my bills plus here I a combi boiler and only heat the water I need .
Where I lived I had no choice to have a water meter so glad I have one now.

welbeck Thu 18-Jan-24 15:34:25

wow, Whiff, that was even more than i was paying, and i thought that was a lot ! in
thames water.
glad things are easier for you now.

busybee6969 Sun 21-Jan-24 11:11:55

ive got a water meter front of the house they come to read it twice a year,did not know they did a smart water meter, you learn something every day

cc Sun 21-Jan-24 11:13:23

No, I don't see how it could help to reduce your water usage either. We used to check our meter if we got an estimated reading but otherwise it's read when necessary by the meter reader who does the whole road - most people locally have water meters, though it isn't possible in some flats.

BlueBelle Sun 21-Jan-24 11:20:23

I ve had a water meter for years I d say around 10 years
As far as I know it’s not a smart meter but it is pretty smart because I don’t have to take any readings so presume it is
Have they been around that long ?
It’s in my garden close to the side of my house I ve not to my knowledge had anyone read it
I get my bills quarterly and haven’t noticed any fluctuation

BlueBelle Sun 21-Jan-24 11:28:46

Should add I pay £10 per month for my water and £20 per month for sewerage I recently had a letter to say as of next month they will be combined so £30 a month combined £360 a year
One person

Saggi Sun 21-Jan-24 11:28:57

Had one 6 years …reduced my bills by at least 30%….no people reading meters ….the info gets sent straight to company . Sometimes they ask you to send a reading !

Saggi Sun 21-Jan-24 11:30:09

Crikey bluebell ….my water bill is £8 per month…that includes sewerage! One person household !

CaroCaro Sun 21-Jan-24 11:31:59

I’ve had a water meter for three or four years now, I don’t think it reduces my usage at all because if I need it I use it however, I have saved over 50% onmy bills which is good. Costs me £17 a month which is more than I use in the winter but covers the extra I use in the summer. I think it’s a no brainer if you live on your own, but the downside is, if there is a leak between the meter and the house and you are away, or you don’t know about it you get charged for it .