Gransnet forums

House and home

Spare key.

(78 Posts)
Amandajs66 Sun 17-Mar-24 14:04:48

My husband and I have just moved areas, away from family and friends. My husband still works where we used to live so is away during the week.
Before we left a spare key with our good neighbours and our daughter.
I’m very paranoid and worried that I will lock myself out and have no body to call on to drop rounds key.
Has anyone else found a solution to this when they can’t leave a key with someone.
My father suggested a bird box with a fault bottom where I can hide the key? But how safe would this be?

Any suggestions!

Gwyllt Sun 17-Mar-24 14:09:07

A key box with a code that can be changed ❓tucked out of sight
As they sometimes have for holiday lets

BlueBelle Sun 17-Mar-24 14:09:59

I have a great solution but I m not going to say on here 🤣

Jewelle Sun 17-Mar-24 14:11:11

We recently became locked out of our house after a dog walk (we forgot to take our key) and both my sister and daughter, both of whom have keys, were out.

We’ve just got a lock box with house keys in which we’ve put on the side of the house in case this happens again!

midgey Sun 17-Mar-24 14:11:44

I have exactly this problem, a key safe is what you need. You can find them on line.

Skydancer Sun 17-Mar-24 14:13:30

Years ago Betterware sold what looked like a stone but was hollow and it had a lid. You put your key inside and placed it in the garden somewhere amongst other stones. However the best solution is a keysafe - if only you know the code it's foolproof.

Luckygirl3 Sun 17-Mar-24 14:15:23

I have a key safe that was supplied by the LA at the same time as they put me on the pendant alarm system. My family and the central control room of the alarm system know the code - as does my neighbour and friend.

All you have to do is remember the code!!

Amandajs66 Sun 17-Mar-24 14:18:47

I have been looking at key safes but apparently they can be prised off the wall, taken away and then they came back with the key at a later date.
I guess, because I’m on my own I’m slightly worried about things that didn’t bother me before. x

OldFrill Sun 17-Mar-24 14:21:40

As someone else said, a key safe hidden out of view We inherited one by the front door which I've kept for convenience. They do scream 'someone old and probably vulnerable lives here' as so many people with carers have them, so from a security aspect l wouldn't have one on view if avoidable.

Margiknot Sun 17-Mar-24 14:25:28

Maybe a tucked out of sight key safe but remove the key if you go away for any length of time? Can key safes be alarmed?

JollyJilly Sun 17-Mar-24 14:31:54

One of our friends had a lock box fixed to the wall and the thieves hammered it off the wall and the key fell out. It was also the same with one of those expensive camera doorbells, if it is fixed to a wall then it can be knocked off the wall.

I used to leave a spare front door key with my next door neighbour but found she kept it in a bowl in the hallway with my name and address on it. So if anyone broke into her house they could also break into mine.

The two keys for the back and front doors are fastened to a lightweight chain on the inside pocket of my cross body bag. The keys never, ever come off the chain that way I never lose them or forget them.

Jaxjacky Sun 17-Mar-24 14:35:32

Amandajs66

I have been looking at key safes but apparently they can be prised off the wall, taken away and then they came back with the key at a later date.
I guess, because I’m on my own I’m slightly worried about things that didn’t bother me before. x

This has-been happening locally in the last few weeks, mainly with those key safes that are visible from the road.
I think one tucked away, well out of sight would be safer, do you have a neighbourhood watch scheme, if so, perhaps someone from there could hold one for you. Or, perhaps it’s time to meet your neighbours.

Oldnproud Sun 17-Mar-24 14:47:30

Amandajs66

Our spare key is so well hidden outside that even I often can't find it straight away. Luckily the hiding place can't be seen from the road or from the neighbouring houses, so my scratting about doesn't give anything away.

Lollin Sun 17-Mar-24 15:05:26

My only thought is the obvious one but as everyone says some thieves soon move on to other ways and means and even a key safe becomes a target.

Shinamae Sun 17-Mar-24 15:10:12

I have my spare front door key under the roof of my bird table.Held up with blue tack.
Works for me 🤓

Whiff Sun 17-Mar-24 15:41:28

Amanda haven't read all the replies . When I moved here there was a key lock box on the wall. You had to put in a code to use it. I knew I would never use as I didn't think it was safe And my decision confirmed when I had my new front door fitted. My door fitter asked if I used the box I said no . He said I refuse to fit them and will show you why. He put a screwdriver into the seam a little flick it opened then fell off the wall with a second flick.

Primrose53 Sun 17-Mar-24 15:41:47

We have a key safe at a property we let for holidays. It is tucked away and the visitors are told where it is and the code before they arrive. Works very well.

Kim19 Sun 17-Mar-24 20:42:35

My spare is wrapped in polythene and sellotaped to the centre of one of my large shrubs. Have only used them twice in 27 years

Serendipity22 Sun 17-Mar-24 20:58:19

Key safe. They are brilliant and you have access whenever needed. You can change the code whenever you wish. You dont have to display them for all to see, it can be hidden.

I know a few people who have them and it gives them peace of mind.

I find photo to explain what i am referring to.

Hetty58 Sun 17-Mar-24 20:59:25

I've put spare keys in a little plastic tub - and buried it in the front garden. It's not in a place that's visible from the road and I'm often out there, anyway, doing a bit of gardening or litter picking before I come indoors. Ok, I might get a muddy hand retrieving it - but far better than scaling the back fence and climbing through an upstairs window, like last time I was locked out. That was scary and exhausting.
'Why didn't you phone?' said my daughter - well, I didn't take my mobile. Am I the only one who checks my pocket for keys when I've already shut the door?

Serendipity22 Sun 17-Mar-24 21:01:08

Keysafe

Kim19 Sun 17-Mar-24 21:03:54

Keys in my hand is my practice as I go out of the front door.

Hetty58 Sun 17-Mar-24 21:30:39

Kim19, that's sensible - why can't I be sensible?

Mel1967 Sun 17-Mar-24 21:36:20

We have a key safe.
Box with a code and a key inside.
Definitely the way to go

Wheniwasyourage Sun 17-Mar-24 21:40:26

Our doors have to be positively locked when you go out, so at least you can’t lock yourself out by accident (unless you then lose the keys, of course). Our neighbour has our back door key in case we ask her to take in a delivery when we’re away. It seems to work!