Gransnet forums

House and home

Wood smell on cupboard

(41 Posts)
Doodledog Sun 23-Jun-24 02:38:37

I bought a tallboy/wardrobe in December. It’s quite thick wood, and smells ‘woody’ to the point that items stored in it take on the smell, and it’s quite strong. I’ve tried leaving the door open to air it, but it hasn’t helped, and there are five deep drawers as well as the hanging space.

I can’t easily leave it empty for very long as I’d struggle to find space to store the contents, but does anyone have suggestions for getting rid of the smell, please?

JenniRen Mon 17-Aug-26 21:13:04

It could be worse!

Doodledog Mon 17-Aug-26 15:28:56

It does a bit, yes 😀

I now use it to store bags, cases and non-fabric items so the smell doesn’t matter, and use the space that frees up for the fabric items. Not ideal, but it’s a workaround.

JenniRen Mon 17-Aug-26 15:22:16

Cressy

I wonder if Doodledog’s cupboard still smells after all this time?

Oh dear, I didn't notice!
Please let us know Doodedog.

JenniRen Mon 17-Aug-26 15:21:19

Did you use the Bicarb on dishes or wash with a solution of Bicarb and water? It usually does work to neutralise smells, strange it hasn't. Perhaps it needs to be left for longer.

Alternatively, dishes of activated charcoal may absorb the smell.

You can buy paper drawer liners which are scented to use afterwards.

Cressy Mon 17-Aug-26 13:49:03

I wonder if Doodledog’s cupboard still smells after all this time?

Astitchintime Mon 17-Aug-26 09:17:43

I was gifted a large amount of knitting yarn and it has a smell to it……musty but no sign of dirt. I packed it all up in a plastic crate with kitchen roll parcels of bicarbonate of soda sprinkled with lavender oil layered between the balls of yarn, and sealed the lid down. After a couple of months the smell was gone and I can now start using the yarn which I store in the crate with the bicarbonate of soda parcels.

Oreo Mon 17-Aug-26 09:03:14

It’s solid pine by the look of it, we have two similar ones and I loved the scent, but it faded after a while naturally.
Leaving the doors open will help.

Jaxjacky Mon 17-Aug-26 08:08:24

Reported

bcservice Mon 17-Aug-26 07:59:13

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

4allweknow Wed 26-Jun-24 19:07:51

Is it actually solid wood or wood laminate? Wood laminate can have a plastiky smell but shoukd be easy to clear as will not absorb much moisture from luquids applied. There may be parts of the wardrobe made from wood eg edging, even if basically mdf/laminated wood. Also the chest of drawers you bought may look the same but if solid wood tgey may have been made with wood treated differently hence no smell. You should check with where ever you bought them from exactly what the wardrobe is made from.

win Tue 25-Jun-24 21:04:50

charley68

Doodlebug Definitely a puzzle. The only thing I can add is to remove all the drawers and leave them outside in the sunshine if possible. Perhaps bring the cupboard outside too? Try leaving them out in the sun for a couple of days, or longer? Put them inside overnight, but outside again during the day.

win I would suggest trying this too with the drawers of your older furniture, and also with your newer bedside cabinets.

Then I would try rubbing chalk powder into all inside area of the wood, not just the joints and angles, but on all inside surfaces. Perhaps do that a few times over the next few months?

Thank you definitely worth a try, if I have a day at home with some sunshine. Thank you.

Jane43 Tue 25-Jun-24 20:57:10

We had some new bedroom furniture recently from The Cotswold Company. There was a strong smell from the chest of drawers and the bedside chest. I left the drawers open and the smell went away eventually.

charley68 Tue 25-Jun-24 20:45:48

Doodlebug Definitely a puzzle. The only thing I can add is to remove all the drawers and leave them outside in the sunshine if possible. Perhaps bring the cupboard outside too? Try leaving them out in the sun for a couple of days, or longer? Put them inside overnight, but outside again during the day.

win I would suggest trying this too with the drawers of your older furniture, and also with your newer bedside cabinets.

Then I would try rubbing chalk powder into all inside area of the wood, not just the joints and angles, but on all inside surfaces. Perhaps do that a few times over the next few months?

win Tue 25-Jun-24 20:31:32

I bought some lovely reproduction furniture some many years back and to this day the drawers still smell of wood and oil. I have tried everything to no avail, I only keep paperwork in there now as any clothes picks up the smell really strongly. So annoying.

I also purchased two small bed side cabinets recently, they also smell of wood and oil, but I do not keep clothes in the either so it does not matter too much. I can smell it on my hands when I have been in the drawers and in the room too. I just do not know what they use that never goes away. It is rather unpleasant though.

Doodledog Tue 25-Jun-24 17:33:25

No, as I said upthread, it was new in December, and I have tried bicarb.

It's this one. About six months old.

I have soap in there now, and plan to mix essential oil with carrier oil and rub it liberally around the inside, then put a few drops of neat oil onto cotton wool balls and position them around the thing. I don't know why the matching bedside chest of drawers doesn't smell too, but it doesn't.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 25-Jun-24 17:09:37

I am assuming this is an old piece of furniture and that you have tried scrubbing it well inside and out with soft soap and plenty of water, then washing it yet again only with clear water.

Then leaving it to dry with all drawers and cupboards open.

If the smell is still there, bicarbonate of soda on a saucer or any suitable sized unlidded container in every compartment for a week or so ought to help.

Devorgilla Tue 25-Jun-24 15:43:48

I had the same problem with a chest of drawers. I used pots of bicarbonate of soda in every drawer and shut it up for a month. Worked like a charm. In use now and no smell. Secret is to take it out of use for the month and don't open.

icanhandthemback Tue 25-Jun-24 14:43:50

Bicarb of soda removes smells.

Bookfan Tue 25-Jun-24 14:20:06

Try lots of balls of newspaper -removed musty smell from my wardrobe.

cc Tue 25-Jun-24 14:11:21

I wonder if it was made to hold linen? If so it might deliberately have been made from camphorwood or cedar. If this is the case it will not just disappear.
I think I'd paint it inside with chalk paint or similar. Some paint smells more though, so you'd have to be careful to choose a less smelly one. The only alternative to this would be to keep your linen in bags inside the cupboard.

Jannipans Tue 25-Jun-24 14:06:04

Do you know what type of wood it is?
You could try asking a carpenter or woodworker and perhaps he/she might have an answer.
You could try spraying the inside with some oil based scented room spray, or get one of those gel type bathroom thingys and leave it in the bottom.
NB. I have a camphorwood chest - it is meant to smell of camphor to keep marauding moths/insects at bay, so it might be a good thing?

missdeke Tue 25-Jun-24 13:29:50

Bicarbonate of soda is a great smell absorber. Also if you decide to oil it then oil of Cedar would also act as an insect repellant.

Doodledog Tue 25-Jun-24 13:22:04

Baggs

Furniture having a woody smell suggests to me that the wood wasn't seasoned for long enough. Hope you find a solution to the problem.

I got a bedside table with drawers at the same time (matching) and it doesn't smell at all, which is odd. It's not an unpleasant smell, but it's strong, and it does transfer, particularly to the towels.

I have a bar of Aromatherapy Associates soap in there now, and will mix essential oil with carrier oil and rub it round the inside later. I then plan to put some of the neat oil onto cotton wool balls and leave one in each drawer and a couple in the cupboard.

Welshy Tue 25-Jun-24 12:25:37

I had a smell in my cupboards I tried everything, from bicarb to charcoal etc. I bought these from Homebargains and hung them from the hinges. Now when I open the door I only smell these. Just 2 for 99p.

Tuskanini Tue 25-Jun-24 11:43:59

There’s a musty smell of old furniture that can indicate woodworm or rot. But this sounds like the natural smell of new wood. Can’t you learn to love it? It’s probably bottled and sold as ‘Scandinavian Pine’ at great cost!