China Search specialise in supplying one off pieces of China. They may be interested in your plates etc.
www.chinasearch.co.uk/
Melbourne C o k e charlie plug, (Tel-gr/aam @ wave22)
Good Morning Tuesday 6th October 2026
In the mid 1960s, my DH and I were given a dinner set in Wedgwood Ice Rose; a coffee set in Flame Rose and a Royal Doulton tea set in Tumbling Leaves. Sixty years later and we are desperately trying to reduce the huge amount of items we have acquired. We thought we would start with this china which we have only displayed, never used. I have tried the online companies but they are not interested, neither are auction houses. We would happily donate, rather than sell. Can any of you helpful Gransnetters come up with suggestions, please?
China Search specialise in supplying one off pieces of China. They may be interested in your plates etc.
www.chinasearch.co.uk/
There are vintage tea room opening in various small towns; they use pretty china, sometimes mismatched china too.
I don't know where you would look, but possibly film or tv companies might buy them for props to give authenticity.
Allira
There are vintage tea room opening in various small towns; they use pretty china, sometimes mismatched china too.
Indeed.
Quite lovely for celebrations also. It's nice to see mismatched beautiful china on the plate table. If we ever must have another celebration, I'll again be using mismatched bits of various crockery sets.
Yes, weddings too 🙂
I have a theory that because so many people no longer sit at the table at home -or even have a table, they aren’t setting the table anymore.
It is all mugs of tea or coffee, made in the kitchen near the kettle, which is fine but to properly enjoy a tea set with sugar basin and possibly cubes and tongues,milk jug and cups and saucers and a tea pot it demands a table well imo obviously.
🫖
We gave ours to a local hospice charity. Friends put theirs on eBay and a collector bought it.
We have recently been in a similar situation when updating our dining room for more manageable pieces of furniture. I collected the same beautiful china as my Mum and inherited all hers on her death.
We therefore had masses of it, dinner,tea,coffee and many serving dishes. Having exhausted China search, sale rooms and all the local tea rooms etc. we gave the bulk to charity but I kept a small tea set for afternoon tea with friends or family.
It felt so sad, but trying to help family who one day would have to deal with all these things.
Theatre companies might welcome them for their props department for when a period drama is being performed.
Auction houses vary. Locally, one will only take ‘ high end’ stuff, whilst another will take anything. With no reserve, it will sell, even if only for £10. After DH died I sold all sorts of junk there.
If you have a local antiques and collectibles shop they might be interested. They would not offer you much for it but at least it would not go to the tip.
Try a few care homes- their older clientele may appreciate the styles & design. Guess they would only want items that could be put in dishwashers though.
I did a Google search for Replacement China Uk and came up with a few others apart from Chinasearch such as www.replaceyourplates.co.uk/ They say on their website that the buy china.
I have a collection of beautiful little china coffee cans and saucers as well as coffee spoons but nobody wants them either
Sell it on eBay. It's free to sell on there. But advertise it as collection only. Worth a try.
You could also search to see how much others are selling their's for too.
You don't even have to use the bidding option. Just state a buy it now price.
Sold mine on Facebook Marketplace. The young woman who bought it told me how much she and her family appreciated eating off 'vintage' crockery. Retro is fashionable!
My mother-in-law decided many years ago to "just use" her most precious old china.
I was horrified as she gaily popped everything in the dishwasher after dinner includingsome beautiful plates of her husband's mother's.
"Oh dear" I said, "this really lovely pattern and gold leaf will wear off".
"I'm just going to enjoy it and when it washes off I won't care" she said.
I rescued a few sideplates - but now they go in our dishwasher too and it's all washing away.
Happy memories though.
It's sad even on eBay they go for next to nothing. Wedgewood seems to be out of fashion, but oddly, Woods plain china is rising in price. Think of the plain china—green, blue, yellow, and white—you used to get in caravans and village halls. I love it and collect it, but it's very 'utility' and brings back happy memories.
I must admit it's a crying shame about lovely China. I go to auctions, and often the coffee, tea, and dinner sets do not sell. I have seen them offered at £5, but they still do not go.
A few years ago, I had a delightful set of plates, cups, saucers, a milk jug, and a sugar basin with a lovely, delicate violet decoration. I loved it, but even at a boot sale for £1, it never sold.
if i had the space, I would love to collect these delightful sets.
I gave several sets to a charity shop when I cleared out my parents house. I’m not sure they wanted them really. And much of their old dark wood furniture was given away, including a beautiful refectory table and chairs; charity shops wouldn’t take them as the chairs didn’t have fire labels. My poor mum had wanted such a set for years and they paid such a lot for it.
Thanks again to all of you for your help. I have sent an email to Replace Your Plates, Sadgrandma, and will see if I get any response. If not, we will go down the route of the charity shops. Fingers crossed! 
My mother had a lot of Tumbling Leaves when she died and I just couldn't find anybody who wanted to buy it. The larger retailers of second hand china said that they wouldn't take it. In the end I gave the cups and saucers to the local WI to use and took the plates and bowls to a charity shop.
It might be worth having a look on Ebay for the other two patterns, I found a dealer there who sold a lot of Mason's Ironstone when I wanted to get rid of my own huge dinner service and he was happy to come and see me when he was in our area and offered me a decent price.
If you find out what things sell for on Ebay I reckon you can estimate up to half of that from a dealer.
I was very happy to sell my china, it leaves me with a huge empty cupboard to fill!
I saw someone selling perfumed candles by melting wax in China tea cups and selling them £20 each in a stall in York. Novel idea, though thought the price was too much
I love Wedgwood and have bought a few bits and pieces on eBay. You could try selling on there.
My husband’s father, sadly deceased, use to buy those dishes advertised on the back of a magazine. Cost an arm & leg, put them on eBay for a pound, sadly no takers.
I have a full set of Bramley hedge, also Beatrix Potter figures, must be forty odd years old, nobody to pass them on to 😩
Yet, I sold my imperial blue, Denby (I know it’s not China) for a heck of a lot more than I paid for it.
A couple of my friends hold afternoon tea, using their China.
Replacements.com. Try this in the United States to sell. Or eBay. Many people try to buy the missing pieces of their parents’ keepsake sets.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.